IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2nd Gen IS250 Model Year Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-16, 09:54 AM
JJS13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen IS250 Model Year Recommendations?

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and am interested in picking up a 2nd Gen IS250 for my son who recently started driving. I've always been a huge fan of the IS and thought it would be a safe and dependable car to learn on. Are there any specific model years that you would recommend? Also, are there any known mechanical issues to watch out for? For example, my Acura had a known transmission problem and my Infiniti had a known timing chain problem. I'm planning to spend around $15-20K for the car. Any information that you could provide would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-17-16, 10:03 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

No major problems. The 250 model can build up carbon deposits in the intake manifold. I guess it depends on how it is driven. The 350 model won't.
Old 11-17-16, 11:04 AM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2011+ so you get the new headlights
Old 11-17-16, 04:59 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you're looking at a 250, the carbon buildup is a common problem on older model years (not sure if they all have it or if it just is older cars..) Although if you're going to spend that much, why not get a 350? Its less common (much much less common), has an extra 100hp, and gets around the same fuel economy (and it doesn't have the carbon buildup problem)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...iy-thread.html This thread has a lot of questions people often ask about the car.
Old 11-17-16, 07:04 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JJS13
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and am interested in picking up a 2nd Gen IS250 for my son who recently started driving. I've always been a huge fan of the IS and thought it would be a safe and dependable car to learn on. Are there any specific model years that you would recommend? Also, are there any known mechanical issues to watch out for? For example, my Acura had a known transmission problem and my Infiniti had a known timing chain problem. I'm planning to spend around $15-20K for the car. Any information that you could provide would be appreciated. Thank you.
Just my opinion but I would get a IS350. They have their issues to but the IS250 has too many. It's a crap shoot with them, you either get one that will go forever or you get one that's a horror story.

Any IS350 from 2006 -2010 should be good. Try and find one with less than 100k on the odometer (lower mileage better obviously). It's not easy to find a good one because most have been ragged out and driven hard. I lucked out and found a very clean 2006 that a lady lawyer owned with 85k miles for cheap ($10.5k). Remember you can go to http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ and get an account so you can register any possible candidates and look at their service record and what they have been in for. The information in the service record is a good indicator if the car was taken care of. Also get a list of recalls for your model year or particular vehicle your looking at.
Old 11-17-16, 07:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Just my opinion but I would get a IS350. They have their issues to but the IS250 has too many. It's a crap shoot with them, you either get one that will go forever or you get one that's a horror story.

Any IS350 from 2006 -2010 should be good. Try and find one with less than 100k on the odometer (lower mileage better obviously). It's not easy to find a good one because most have been ragged out and driven hard. I lucked out and found a very clean 2006 that a lady lawyer owned with 85k miles for cheap ($10.5k). Remember you can go to http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ and get an account so you can register any possible candidates and look at their service record and what they have been in for. The information in the service record is a good indicator if the car was taken care of. Also get a list of recalls for your model year or particular vehicle your looking at.
Great advice, I would avoid the IS250 like the plauge, probably the most trouble prone model Lexus has ever made. IS350 is rock solid with another 100hp over the IS250.

But that then begs the question, should you be giving a 16 year old a 300+hp RWD performance car??? You know he'll be doing stupid stuff like turning the traction control off, sliding sideways, doing burnouts, donuts, driving 150mph, racing his friends, etc. At least I was doing that when I turned 16, probably would've killed myself in something with a lot of power. Get your kid a nice, but older reg cab full size truck. Can't carry around more than 1 or 2 buddies to distract him, its big, safe, slow, and if you bump into something, big chrome bumpers generally don't dent/scratch. Plus its a truck, trucks are always cool.

Last edited by Aron9000; 11-17-16 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-18-16, 11:18 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Great advice, I would avoid the IS250 like the plauge, probably the most trouble prone model Lexus has ever made. IS350 is rock solid with another 100hp over the IS250.

But that then begs the question, should you be giving a 16 year old a 300+hp RWD performance car??? You know he'll be doing stupid stuff like turning the traction control off, sliding sideways, doing burnouts, donuts, driving 150mph, racing his friends, etc. At least I was doing that when I turned 16, probably would've killed myself in something with a lot of power. Get your kid a nice, but older reg cab full size truck. Can't carry around more than 1 or 2 buddies to distract him, its big, safe, slow, and if you bump into something, big chrome bumpers generally don't dent/scratch. Plus its a truck, trucks are always cool.
But to be honest anyone can do stupid things in any car. You can race and do burnouts and donuts and slide sideways in a lower horsepower car too. And if he will stuff like that in a lower HP car, he shouldn't have a car to begin with. Is he more likely to do stupid stuff in a faster car? Yeah, but you can get in trouble with any car if you really want to. And not all 16 year olds drive like maniacs. Do some do? Yep. Majority? Probably. But I really see no problem if he trusts his son won't do anything too reckless (which is another argument in and of itself). If OP is worried about this he should look for a used Civic or Corolla. Something much slower and more reliable. Or just save the money for a much better car when he is 22 or something and mostly out of his "more likely to do something really dumb" phase.

I absolutely see your point though. No one wants to see him severely injure or kill himself or anyone else because he couldn't handle the car. I think all it comes down to is how mature he sees his son and whether or not he is ready for it.
Old 11-18-16, 02:43 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the 2011 up is solid just because of the headlights but 2009-up is great as well cause you get the face lift on the lights
Old 11-18-16, 08:03 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

2008 if you want the fastest.
Old 11-19-16, 06:47 AM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want 2nd gen IS250 you get model 2012-2013, i don't think you be worried about carbon build, camgear and Airbag recall issue, don't aim on FAST car for your son's 1st car, IS350 has the highest maintenance while IS250 same car has the least maintenance, there are airbag recall for Lexus IS250/350 year 2006 and early 2011, i've drove 250 as my 1st Lexus and traded in for 350 couple years after for a RWD IS350, and i've been driven Lexus IS 2nd gen for almost 10 years now my current IS is AWD IS350 year 2011,

the different between 250 and 350 is the Power, some member on here only drive 1 car they can't compare and tell the different, i've drove AWD 2007 IS250, RWD 2010 IS350 and now AWD 2011 IS350, ill be honest, Lexus has weak driveshaft they tends to go out more often on AWD, it's not a Toyota Toyota driveshaft would last forever, and the Power 250-350, you'll feel it after you accel. 3000RPM but before 3000RPM 250 and 350 fell the same, when you have fully loaded 5 persons on your car the 350 torque pull better than 250 but if you drive alone i don't feel any different unless i accel. to 5000RPM when the Engine reaches the max HP and Torque and remember the GAs meter goes down fast too. And the braking system, 350 has big brake in the front which stop better of course but you are not Racing why need ? Toyota/Lexus cars are for Luxury and Comfy they are not a Race Car, its not a Toyota Supra !

Also keep in Mind, AWD 6 speeds Auto Tranmission in IS250/350 year 2006-2013 is not SMOOTH as Camry, it drives fine when not in GO-Stop traffic like if you drive in country roads with no traffic or Intersection they feel normal but if you in heavy traffic stop go stop go oh man the AWD transmission jerk and jump like crazy and it is normal for Lexus IS the RWD is much better but the Manual is even better too bad they don't have that in model year 2011+, i see CL forum members tried to fix but nothing help, they replaced shifting solenoid ect. AFter you buy Lexus IS 1st thing to do is change All drivetrain fluid like Transmission fluid engine oil diff and transfer case oil.

This is my opinion and thought for the Lexus IS models, i'm saving up $ for the new 2017 Lexus+ there will be all new, new Engine new Transmission new Technology hopefully new transmission will be smoothed, But overall Lexus IS is one of the best Sport Sedan compare to BMW Mercedes and Audi

BMW has no known problem, after it's old like after 3-4 years you'll get problem on everything will definitely drive you crazy, wow fix is expensive. The TUrbo engine on BMW hahaha lol Troublesome
Mercedes known problem is Steering system leak/ break and weaken suspension after approximately warranty---- ECU on this car is stupid dumb and will give you confusion, trust me every Benz car will have this problem
Audi known problem is Electrical sytem, my god their electrical parts are hella expensive, and you have to reset the ECU after replacing a signal bulb same as the Benz guy.

If you do a research, even German guy admitted their cars are good for 5/6 years and not as reliable as Lexus even though Lexus has minor recall/issue but don't you worry cost is cheap and you can DO IT YOURSELF thats why i jumped from 2004 BMW to Lexus IS250 back in 2008. you just change oil use Top gas/fuel use Synthetic Engine oil, you'll good, don't worry about Carbon build up, my friend 2007 IS250 never had any carbon issue and his car is 100% original Engine.
Old 11-19-16, 07:48 AM
JJS13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great feedback. This is exactly the type of information that I was looking for.
Rezno, thanks for sharing the link. I will definitely be referring to that information once I pick up an IS.
Aron, I agree with your comments on the 350. It's probably a little too much car for a young driver. I'm just looking for something that's safe, reliable and also something that I would enjoy driving around on occasion. A newer 250 might just do the trick.
350girl, very informative post. I'll definitely take your comments into consideration when looking for a car.

I'm finding that there are not a ton of used IS's on the market in my area. Hopefully I can find something in the next few months. Thanks again!
Old 11-20-16, 08:49 AM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJS13
Thanks for the great feedback. This is exactly the type of information that I was looking for.
Rezno, thanks for sharing the link. I will definitely be referring to that information once I pick up an IS.
Aron, I agree with your comments on the 350. It's probably a little too much car for a young driver. I'm just looking for something that's safe, reliable and also something that I would enjoy driving around on occasion. A newer 250 might just do the trick.
350girl, very informative post. I'll definitely take your comments into consideration when looking for a car.

I'm finding that there are not a ton of used IS's on the market in my area. Hopefully I can find something in the next few months. Thanks again!
Anytime daddy
Old 11-20-16, 11:09 AM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look for an informative buyer's guide
Old 11-20-16, 02:31 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

2012+ lol ..