IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Am I becoming an "old guy" despite just crossing 40?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-16, 03:35 PM
braxtongg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I becoming an "old guy" despite just crossing 40?

I ask that because I'm soon to be parting with my '06 IS 350, which replaced my '01 IS 300, and my instinct is to replace my gen 2 with a gen 3, which if I do, and keep for the typical length of time I tend to keep a car, I'll end up having bought the exact same car repeatedly, over three generations of the model and a 20 year time span. That's exactly what old guys do, except with Buicks and Caddys. In the spirit of full disclosure, I did have a Lotus Exige for a year between my gen 1 and gen 2, but only because I knew my wife's baby clock was ticking down to go time and it might be my last chance to have a wildly fun and equally wildly impractical car/toy for some time. And I'm currently rolling around in a Slingshot, as a daily driver, but only because I live in AZ and from Oct-April/May the weather is ideal for such a thing, I got a smoking deal on it, and we have my wife's GX460 for whenever we need a real car. So, once my gen 2 sells, I've got 7 months or so to decide what to replace said gen 2 with, because once the heat sets in, the Slingshot will become exactly as miserable to drive as it is currently spectacular. Curious if anybody else has had an IS as their primary vehicle through all three generations? And if so, have you remained just as content as you were the day you rolled off in your first gen 1? Or if you went another direction, after sticking with a gen 1 and 2 for an extended period, what direction, and did it stick, or did you come back in the end to a gen 3? It seems so stodgy...just like an old guy who hates any kind of change, but I keep looking at viable alternatives, and I keep coming back to the conclusion that just getting a gently used '14-'15 gen 3 IS is the no-brainer way to go. I've had a couple of chances to drive a gen 3 for a day or two, because that's what my dealer always gives me as a loaner any time my gen 2 has been there for a factory recall, so I already know I like it. I've got friends with BMWs, Porches, Benzes...seemingly every one of them has a love/hate thing going on with their ride. Too much time in the shop. My wife and I tallied it up not long ago...since '01, me 2 ('01&'06) IS models, her '02 Sequoia, '07 RX400h, '10 GX460 (I know, the Sequoia isn't technically a Lexus, but it's near the top of Toyota's range, so we figured it was relevant for the exercise)...over 15 years, 5 vehicles, and just under 500,000 cumulative miles, a grand total of just under $2K in repair costs. One on the Sequoia, one on the RX, but even then, not until over 120K and 150K miles, respectively. With the possible exception of Honda/Acura, I just don't think any other manufacturer comes remotely close to consistently producing model after model with that kind of reliability. That's primarily what keeps bringing me back to a gen 3 IS as the obvious choice. If you like the look and feel of options 1,2&3, and all have substantially similar performance capability, then you go with the one you know you're not going to be constantly (if ever) paying repair bills on, right?

I know this might seem better located in the gen 3 forum, but figured I'd put it in both, in the hope of getting feedback both from others possibly still wrestling with the same decision, as well as from those who've already made it.
Old 11-12-16, 05:23 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Treat yourself to a new GS350. You'll love the extra room. My buddy has one and I love that car. Its simply beautiful and agressively styled all at the same time. 40 is young in my book.
Old 11-12-16, 06:48 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm not really a fan of the 3rd gen styling (as you can see, I've had a few Lexus cars in my day)

I feel like you, although in my low 30s, there just isnt really anything that gets me excited. Just cost of ownership is what drives me. I'm looking for a fun car (owned an nsx and s2k before) and am looking for a next ride. LS line may be where I end up, but the new LC500 is really tempting as well.

Someone mentioned it, the GS F-sport may be another option. Lexus wins with the reliability
Old 11-12-16, 07:16 PM
ezbmr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the 2013 GS350s, esp when they aren't with the F-Sport pkg, a little more subdued.
Old 11-13-16, 03:37 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

"Old"? Nah. You just want a reliable, fun, high-resale vehicle that you can count on getting you from A to B. I'd recommend looking at the GS-F; it really checks all of the boxes.
Old 11-14-16, 11:11 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't really think its a matter of 'old' or 'young', just what you want to have in a car. From what it seems the IS line of cars has served you well, and if that is the case, it really doesn't matter if you buy the same car repetitively. If anything it shows how good of a car it is for someone to go from one generation to the next, so just buy your car according to what you're looking for in a car and nothing else. Test drive all the cars you're considering and then come to a conclusion. If you ask me, nothing wrong with buying the same car multiple times so long as it suits all your needs well.

As the others said, a GS350 or GS-F would also be something worth looking into. Plenty of reviews say that the GS-F (especially) is a very good driving car.
Old 11-14-16, 03:50 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
I don't really think its a matter of 'old' or 'young', just what you want to have in a car. From what it seems the IS line of cars has served you well, and if that is the case, it really doesn't matter if you buy the same car repetitively. If anything it shows how good of a car it is for someone to go from one generation to the next, so just buy your car according to what you're looking for in a car and nothing else. Test drive all the cars you're considering and then come to a conclusion. If you ask me, nothing wrong with buying the same car multiple times so long as it suits all your needs well.

As the others said, a GS350 or GS-F would also be something worth looking into. Plenty of reviews say that the GS-F (especially) is a very good driving car.
lol in Canada those who drives Lexus are old or with grey hair and bald except IS250, other drivers always think i'm an old Lady until they pulled up and look at me.
Old 11-14-16, 04:08 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the GS350! I love its design and how well it drives and performs!
Old 11-16-16, 01:38 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by The350Girl
lol in Canada those who drives Lexus are old or with grey hair and bald except IS250, other drivers always think i'm an old Lady until they pulled up and look at me.
Yeah that is the stereotype here too. Its either old people or married women who drive these cars. No joke 80+% of all Lexus drivers (and about 99% of the SUV drivers) I see here fit this stereotype. They're still great cars nonetheless though regardless of who is behind the wheel.
Old 11-16-16, 03:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Forget the age stuff, that is nonsense. I'm 65 and have had my IS350 since 2006. Last year I wanted something new and fun to drive, but there are lots of cars out there other than Lexus. I did a lot of research and test driving and ended up with a Ford Focus ST3.....four cylinder turbo (252hp), 6 speed manual transmission hatchback (Its main competition is the VW GTI and Subaru WRX). Still have the IS but the ST is 10x more fun to drive than the staid IS, like a big go kart. Sure, it is no Lexus but MSRP was only $31k with full leather Recaro seats, nav, heated seats/steering wheel, etc. but on a twisty road it blows the IS into the weeds as far as 'feel' and control is concerned. After 14 months of ownership it is still tight and never been back to the dealer. It depends on what your goal is, but it is a big world out there, look around.

Old 03-25-17, 01:57 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Funny, I am/was in the same position. 2001 IS 300 to 2006 IS 350. Was looking for some fun, so bought a new Huracan. But the fact remained my IS was getting on. Still excellent condition and only 55,000 miles, but 11+ years is enough, and it won't last forever. So I'm replacing the IS with an LC500. I've been waiting a long time for something new and exciting from Lexus, and LC ticks all the boxes (the RCF nor 3G IS didn't cut it for me, and no ISF in sight).

Last edited by TimboIS; 03-25-17 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 06:00 PM
Lindy64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Man, if you're worried about 40 then I'm in big trouble!

Seriously...In my early 50's, road race, still free solo climb, beat the tar out of myself in gym, play louder (guitar) and refuse to morph into some old f - - t. Which is why I'm hot rodding a little 06' is350 (just to tweak my German car only friends) and popping in "here" from time to time...