IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is my transmission going out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 07:22 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is my transmission going out?

Hey guys, so I took my car downtown earlier today when I went to get a haircut, and upon leaving I noticed something odd. On the cluster where it says PRND and S , the little green backlight wasn't turning on. Also upon putting the car into Drive, it felt as if the transmission Jerked kind of hard. I was worried and tried again to see if it goes away but nope , every time I go into Drive the car Jerks. Also my car no longer tells me what gear I'm in, won't let me use manual mode (it only lights up the "S" for a second then goes dark again) and even my turn signals don't function for some odd reason. Ever stranger is that the hazards (which use the signals ) work just fine ? ? ?

Upon getting home I didn't notice anything different about the transmission feel, it's feels perfectly normal as far as I can tell. All gears feel like they are working okay and there was no slip or grind as far as I can tell over a 8 mile drive. Only issue is putting it into drive... Where it once again jerks.

I also got the check engine light for the first time in my 2 years of ownership Any clue what this can be? My mechanic buddy said it might be something electrical like a sensor but that was just an over the phone "diagnosis " . Any help guys ?? I'm super stressed about this. Thanks

Last edited by Tro209; 11-01-16 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 08:12 PM
loco562
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the code scanned and from there people can help u out what it is and autozone scans its for free
Old 11-01-16, 09:54 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by loco562
get the code scanned and from there people can help u out what it is and autozone scans its for free
Just did Code P0705 . Transmission Range Sensor in circuit A.

Makes sense since every single electrical component in the car was going haywire just a second ago. Power steering went out , gage cluster soon followed, every single error light lit up. Clock went out, car started bogging , screen went black etc. . . Smh .
Old 11-01-16, 11:20 PM
loco562
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tro209
Just did Code P0705 . Transmission Range Sensor in circuit A.

Makes sense since every single electrical component in the car was going haywire just a second ago. Power steering went out , gage cluster soon followed, every single error light lit up. Clock went out, car started bogging , screen went black etc. . . Smh .
sound like a electrical issue,did u try to erase the code?
i had a similar issue when im alternator went out but only difference is mine throw different codes and when i replace my alternator everything was fine,
Old 11-02-16, 05:39 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Since you mentioned that your power steering was going out as well as the gauge cluster, I think your alternator might be dying.

Using a voltmeter, try checking your battery voltage while the car is running to see if you're within normal parameters (Voltage should be in the mid-13s to low 14s). Also check to see if you have any corrosion buildup around the battery terminals.
Old 11-02-16, 09:40 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redspencer
Since you mentioned that your power steering was going out as well as the gauge cluster, I think your alternator might be dying.

Using a voltmeter, try checking your battery voltage while the car is running to see if you're within normal parameters (Voltage should be in the mid-13s to low 14s). Also check to see if you have any corrosion buildup around the battery terminals.
At first I thought it could be the alternator since the symptoms sort of make sense. But havent checked yet. The real question on my mind is, why would the car throw the P0705 code for the transmission range sensor circuit?
Old 11-02-16, 09:43 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by loco562
sound like a electrical issue,did u try to erase the code?
i had a similar issue when im alternator went out but only difference is mine throw different codes and when i replace my alternator everything was fine,
No I didn't erase it (although I should have). I was at my friend's house when we checked it, but I'll try and have him come by to try that too to see what happens. When I got the car home last night it wouldn't turn on anymore and only barely made it. Similar to where the alternator on my dad's 91' F150 went out. I'll have to look Into this a bit more. Hoping for the best, wish me luck !
Old 11-02-16, 10:47 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

When I got the car home last night it wouldn't turn on anymore and only barely made it. Similar to where the alternator on my dad's 91' F150 went out. I'll have to look Into this a bit more. Hoping for the best, wish me luck !
Yeah, I'm more than certain it's your alternator based on what you just described. This scenario happened to me with my GX470 a few months ago as I was trying to drive my family back home from Disney World using only battery power (that was a nerve-wrecking drive). The GX literally died right when I pulled into the garage and that was the end of both my alternator and battery.

Statistically, our alternators have a 8-10 year lifespan so it sounds like you're right at that point with your IS350.
Old 11-02-16, 06:05 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You're right about the trans having acted up like it did being really weird, but the other symptoms definitely point towards your alternator on its way out. If you've got at least 3yrs or more your battery, you might want to consider getting a new battery at the same time too.
Old 11-02-16, 07:01 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Battery or Alternator dies give you random check engine codes, no worry just replace bat and alt you'll be ok, my IS thrown randoms codes when battery completely dead, i remember batter was 0% power when i replace it, it caused some fuse burnt too i just post for help in other thread, Lexus is very sensitive vehicle but definitely easy to self-fix unlike Merc BMW or Audi. i like to do man things like my mom
Old 11-02-16, 08:22 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had my alternator go out on me earlier this year - power steering went on the highway and my check VSC light, check engine and other random lights came on.
Old 11-02-16, 10:20 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Oh man I am SUPER relieved to be reading all your replies! I went ahead and purchased an alternator today and will go ahead and install it over the weekend , hopefully that really was the problem after all.

Also in regards to my battery it's only a year old so I'm hoping it's still good. I have it disconnected right now too just to be a little more safe. Thanks for all your input guys!!! I'll keep you posted !
Old 11-02-16, 11:54 PM
loco562
Driver School Candidate

Oh man I am SUPER relieved to be reading all your replies! I went ahead and purchased an alternator today and will go ahead and install it over the weekend , hopefully that really was the problem after all.

Also in regards to my battery it's only a year old so I'm hoping it's still good. I have it disconnected right now too just to be a little more safe. Thanks for all your input guys!!! I'll keep you posted !
have fun with that back bolt lol its a PITA and i found out that you dont have to remove the ecu to get out the alternator although it makes it a little easier,and make sure to unplug the camshaft sensor becuase it ripps off the harness easy
Old 11-03-16, 10:49 AM
Hazimwood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. If the car sits for more than a few hours, the transmission will require that I rev the engine (while in Drive) a bit before engaging (also in Reverse). Once engaged, it runs perfectly normal. It's been that way for months. I did the fluid change and didn't see much improvement. I replaced the alternator months ago because I am at a higher mileage and it just went out. Not sure if the transmission issue started at the same time.. but I'm pretty sure these are separate situations. Mine is a GS300 though.
Old 11-03-16, 01:10 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue, Alternator died on me and I had to push my car to the nearest Napa. Changed it and car was running like a champ again.

Quick Reply: Is my transmission going out?