IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do you think it's possible.... [true manual mode]

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 06:44 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think it's possible.... [true manual mode]

That our transmission will ever be tuned to have a true manual mode. I know the ecu tuners have all just said "we are working on it" if I recall correctly the automatic FRS/BRZ uses the same 6 speed auto that our car does and that car has a true manual mode with Rev-matching and good shift speeds. What do you guys think?
Old 10-31-16, 06:56 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The reason i wanna sell my 350. Our tranny sucks!
Old 10-31-16, 07:03 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Honestly, I rather have a decent shifting manual mode than more power in our cars. It would make the car 100x better to drive.
Old 11-01-16, 07:00 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
One of the reasons why our cars are so quick is due to the way the trans is geared. Manual in the IS350 would have been cool, but I still really like the stock trans.
Old 11-01-16, 12:00 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Yes, it is absolutely possible. We just need a tuner to dedicate enough time to properly rewrite the codes on the Transmission Control Unit.

A case in point, the new Lotus Evora 400 utilizes an optional six-speed automatic transmission (the same Toyota-derived unit from the Camry), and Lotus engineers were able to adjust the shift times down to 100ms while also allowing the transmission to operate in a true manual mode.
Old 11-01-16, 12:33 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Yeah that's what I figured, hopefully one of the tuners will put in the time. I wonder how much fiddling lotus had to do to get those shift times.
Old 11-01-16, 02:16 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Possible, yeah. Although I don't know if there is a huge market for tuners to actually put time into doing this. Keep in mind if something like this ever comes out I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but who knows. Just have to hope those tuning guys make it happen.
Old 11-01-16, 02:31 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Yeah, I know a good amount of us are truly performance oriented and would buy it in a heartbeat, but it's all up to the tuners to decide if it is worth it.
I wonder how much more work it is compared to the engine tune that both companies were able to put out.
Old 11-01-16, 02:39 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

+1.. 10/10... would buy immediately.
Old 11-01-16, 02:50 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aventur2
Yeah, I know a good amount of us are truly performance oriented and would buy it in a heartbeat, but it's all up to the tuners to decide if it is worth it.
I wonder how much more work it is compared to the engine tune that both companies were able to put out.
Its definitely super difficult. It took them a long time to crack the ECU to tune the engine and those have come out recently, so I'd imagine this is probably a lot harder. Although I wonder if this is the same ECU as the other Toyota 6-speeds.

Originally Posted by redspencer
A case in point, the new Lotus Evora 400 utilizes an optional six-speed automatic transmission (the same Toyota-derived unit from the Camry), and Lotus engineers were able to adjust the shift times down to 100ms while also allowing the transmission to operate in a true manual mode.
I wonder (probably extremely unlikely) if we could just swap the two units... unless Lotus did some internal changes?
Old 11-01-16, 03:45 PM
aventur2
Rookie

I wonder (probably extremely unlikely) if we could just swap the two units... unless Lotus did some internal changes?[/QUOTE]

Lotus uses a transaxle. If you read about lotus IPS you will see that all the internals are directly from the camry so it's just the programming that lotus does.
Old 11-02-16, 10:52 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aventur2
I wonder (probably extremely unlikely) if we could just swap the two units... unless Lotus did some internal changes?
Lotus uses a transaxle. If you read about lotus IPS you will see that all the internals are directly from the camry so it's just the programming that lotus does.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. Wonder if someone would be willing to experiment with this. If the transmission units are identical I don't see why this wouldn't work...
Old 11-02-16, 11:02 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
Lotus uses a transaxle. If you read about lotus IPS you will see that all the internals are directly from the camry so it's just the programming that lotus does.[/QUOTE
Interesting. Wonder if someone would be willing to experiment with this. If the transmission units are identical I don't see why this wouldn't work...
They are completely unrelated. It wouldn't be possible to use anything from the Lotus in an IS.

Jeff
Old 11-02-16, 11:19 AM
aventur2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
They are completely unrelated. It wouldn't be possible to use anything from the Lotus in an IS.

Jeff
Yes, because lotus uses the unit from a FWD Camry in the back of their Evora. So no way it would work.
Old 11-02-16, 12:52 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

The best bet I could think of would be to see about copying/using the transmission programming/code from the 3rd Gen IS350 AWD, as it uses the A760H (the same 6-speed transmission as the 2IS) and has a proper manual shifting mode.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Do you think it's possible.... [true manual mode]