IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 IS350 Transfer case drain plug seized ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 06:43 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 IS350 Transfer case drain plug seized ??

today i went to the shop to change the transfer case fluid the front, the drain bolt for front transfer case is seized no matter what they tried, they almost break the bolt and bolt now looks squeeze without thread, he gave me a penetration spray bottle he tells me to spray it everyday until the next oil change they will try again, anyone of you have any solution ?

i don't get lucky with Lexus, one problem to another, how could 2011 Lexus seizes too much ? i had camber bolt seized now front transfer case ??? now i'm stuck with overdue front transfer case fluid !

anyone got this same problem ? Lexus should stop using cheap material, my IS350 is bone STOCK everything fresh from dealer probably this is the 1st time of fluid and alignment service since new.

also mechanic afraid to heat the bolt he said pan is aluminium it will melt ???? they don't know what to do now except Pray for with the bottle spray !

Last edited by The350Girl; 10-28-16 at 06:44 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 10-28-16, 11:01 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If I were you I'd try to find someone else to do it. I don't know what it is but there is something that makes me a bit skeptical about this mechanic you keep speaking of. This doesn't seem like something that can't be fixed, so probably try taking it to another mechanic and see what he thinks of it.
Old 10-29-16, 04:51 AM
The350Girl
Driver

Originally Posted by Rezno
If I were you I'd try to find someone else to do it. I don't know what it is but there is something that makes me a bit skeptical about this mechanic you keep speaking of. This doesn't seem like something that can't be fixed, so probably try taking it to another mechanic and see what he thinks of it.
Ya i think ill try another, do you know what type of fluid for front transfer case ?
Old 10-29-16, 07:50 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by The350Girl
i don't get lucky with Lexus, one problem to another, how could 2011 Lexus seizes too much ? i had camber bolt seized now front transfer case ??? now i'm stuck with overdue front transfer case fluid !
I wouldn't be blaming Lexus as much as I would be blaming Quebec. I would never buy a car from Quebec, I've seen some crazy, crazy corrosion on Quebec cars of all makes, some not even that old. The amount of salt they use is insanity.

Also, there is only 1 transfer case on the car, are you referring to that one (behind the transmission) or the front differential? Not that it really matters I suppose, but it sounds like you may be talking about the differential.

Jeff
Old 10-29-16, 08:11 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

I'm on the same boat. If your taking about the front differential. I have a IS250 AWD, and I can't break the fill plug loose. There is no room to get a wrench in there. I pretty much rounded the bolt now. I'll have to see if a muffler shop can weld a nut to it later for better leverage. The two rear diff plugs were a piece of cake.
Old 10-29-16, 11:59 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Ya i think ill try another, do you know what type of fluid for front transfer case ?
I wasn't able to find anything on the transfer case. As for the differentials though, I found this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hange-diy.html

Keep in mind this was done on a RWD IS350 and I am not sure if the RWD and AWD cars use the same fluid. The link showed these as possible options, assuming fluid for both cars is the same:

Differential Fluid: (my choice) Royal Purple Synthetic 75W90 GL-5 rated.
Qty Needed (per manual): 1.42 qts (2 bottles)

Other options:
-Toyota Synthetic Diff fluid (if you can mystically find some)
- Amsoil SVG 75W90 or so I am told.
- Mobil1 LS 75W90
- Pick a winner of your own. Manual calls for (synthetic) 80W90.
Old 10-29-16, 03:18 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I wouldn't be blaming Lexus as much as I would be blaming Quebec. I would never buy a car from Quebec, I've seen some crazy, crazy corrosion on Quebec cars of all makes, some not even that old. The amount of salt they use is insanity.

Also, there is only 1 transfer case on the car, are you referring to that one (behind the transmission) or the front differential? Not that it really matters I suppose, but it sounds like you may be talking about the differential.

Jeff
Thank you Jeff, it's the front behind the transmission, by the way i'm visiting Toronto today i'm now in Toronto, i just went to my Ex-BF shop he's an old school pro with many years experience on Mod car and rust seized bolt and stuffs, Yep he successfully turned the Drain Plug loose and change the FLuid for me and the Shop in Montreal couldn't do it, Lexus Dealer wanted to replace the cover.

I'm a happy girl now no more worry thanks all for the intput !
Old 10-29-16, 03:29 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Originally Posted by tlts82
I'm on the same boat. If your taking about the front differential. I have a IS250 AWD, and I can't break the fill plug loose. There is no room to get a wrench in there. I pretty much rounded the bolt now. I'll have to see if a muffler shop can weld a nut to it later for better leverage. The two rear diff plugs were a piece of cake.
Ya the front one behind the transmission i was talking about. My ex was using some impact gun with flat screw driver, he spray and impacts the bolt every min till 5 minute for the bolt to comes loose, he uses no wrench nothing only impact gun and penetration spray bottle, he was cursing, "only Fkin this seized bolt and those Montreal guys couldn't do it tell them to close down the shop" lol all mechanic swear a lot.

The way he done it so easy and relax unlike the shop in Montreal they damage the drain bolt and they had to ordered me the new one.
Old 10-29-16, 03:31 PM
The350Girl
Driver

I wasn't able to find anything on the transfer case. As for the differentials though, I found this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hange-diy.html

Keep in mind this was done on a RWD IS350 and I am not sure if the RWD and AWD cars use the same fluid. The link showed these as possible options, assuming fluid for both cars is the same:

Differential Fluid: (my choice) Royal Purple Synthetic 75W90 GL-5 rated.
Qty Needed (per manual): 1.42 qts (2 bottles)

Other options:
-Toyota Synthetic Diff fluid (if you can mystically find some)
- Amsoil SVG 75W90 or so I am told.
- Mobil1 LS 75W90
- Pick a winner of your own. Manual calls for (synthetic) 80W90.
Thank you Rezo i got the drain plug out, my Ex in Toronto did it with an impact gun and flat screw, i knew only him can do it thats why i drove all the way from Quebec to Toronto. Thanks for your great info.
Old 10-29-16, 06:42 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Glad you got it resolved. Yeah, some shops have no business being in business!
Old 10-29-16, 07:29 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Thank you Rezo i got the drain plug out, my Ex in Toronto did it with an impact gun and flat screw, i knew only him can do it thats why i drove all the way from Quebec to Toronto. Thanks for your great info.
No problem. Let us know if anything else comes up!
Old 10-30-16, 05:48 AM
The350Girl
Driver

No problem. Let us know if anything else comes up!
now the 2 front camber bolts, he didn't wanna touch he said if he turn it the camber will be off and i need another alignment, ill find another good alignment shop and see what they can do. i wonder does Spray help unseize the camber bolts ?
Old 10-30-16, 06:58 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

now the 2 front camber bolts, he didn't wanna touch he said if he turn it the camber will be off and i need another alignment, ill find another good alignment shop and see what they can do. i wonder does Spray help unseize the camber bolts ?
Yeah take it to another shop and see if they can deal with it. I don't know if spray will help, wasn't able to find anything about it. The majority of solutions I found involve using heat, but I don't think its best to attempt this if you haven't messed with the suspension before just so nothing screws up (no pun intended)
Old 11-01-16, 08:17 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Is the OEM fill plug P# 9034118060? I'm looking at the parts diagram. The only difference it looks like a Allen head instead of a hex cap screw.

Mike
Old 11-01-16, 08:48 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

When he tells you to spray it with penetrating fluid every day until your next oil change.. right away that tells you they are a moron lol

Quick Reply: 2011 IS350 Transfer case drain plug seized ??