Help? No Start, No crank, Rough Idle...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 04:35 PM
lovetheIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help? Car stalling while driving...[more issues]

Hello everyone!

So this issue started on Sunday after I changed my front pads/rotors. After I finished, I started the car up it had a very rough idle: the engine felt like it was shaking and the RPM gauge was movinng up and down. I turned the car off, started it again I started to rev the engine and it eventually started running like normal. I've never experienced any issues with rough idling before. At this point the check VSC light is on.

The next time I started the car up it was doing the same thing but eventually started running again...I did research and figured maybe it had something to do with carbon build-up?

After work, I started the car up and it had the same rough idle as before and I revved the engine up again and this time the engine just died!

I tried to start it again but nothing happened. The lights turned on as usual but I get nothing from the engine. It doesn't even crank. I tried to jump the car but that didn't help and I also tried to reset the ECU to no avail. I checked some fuses and they seemed to be okay unless there are others I should check...

I leave my car at work and the next day I try to start it again, it cranks once this time but dies immediately and I'm unable to crank it again. The same thing happened again this morning...cranked up once and died immediately.

I have no idea what I could have done while changing the brakes that could have caused this. It seems like a coincidence but I wasn't having any issues before then not even the rough idling. Hopefully you guys might be able to give me some insight?

Thanks for any advice! Sorry for the long *** post!

TL;DR

2007 IS250 AWD.
No mods.

Car doesn't crank or start.
Very rough idle before car died.
Check VSC light on.

Last edited by lovetheIS; 05-16-17 at 10:37 AM. Reason: New problems...
Old 10-27-16, 07:58 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check Engine is fine because u crank too many time and the engine won't start it causes crank bank 1 to pick up a code, thing you should check, your Ground, Crankshaft sensor, PCV hose, Maf sensor and vacuum hose around your air filter box, them guy changed your brake did something or unplug/brake something there since your car was fine before brake job.

To me it sounds like your crankshaft position sensor is out, but get a scan tool and diagnostic the engine and get a code and come back here.
Old 10-27-16, 08:07 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Long shot but how old is your battery? you may still have some lights but not enough juice to crank it.
Old 10-28-16, 08:43 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you have the accessory on (for music perhaps?) while you were working on the car? Maybe you drained the battery?

If not, I would guess that something got unplugged. Best place to start would be to scan the codes.
Old 10-29-16, 02:28 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetheIS
Hello everyone!

So this issue started on Sunday after I changed my front pads/rotors. After I finished, I started the car up it had a very rough idle: the engine felt like it was shaking and the RPM gauge was going up and down. I turned the car off, started it again I started to rev the engine and it eventually started running like normal. I've never experienced any issues with rough idling before. At this point the check VSC light is on.

The next time I started the car up it was doing the same thing but eventually started running again...I did research and figured maybe it had something to do with carbon build-up?

After work, I started the car up and it had the same rough idle as before and I revved the engine up again and this time the engine just died!

I tried to start it again but nothing happened. The lights turned on as usual but I get nothing from the engine. It doesn't even crank. I tried to jump the car but that didn't help and I also tried to reset the ECU to no avail. I checked some fuses and they seemed to be okay unless there are others I should check...

I leave my car at work and the next day I try to start it again, it cranks once this time but dies immediately and I'm unable to crank it again. The same thing happened again this morning...cranked up once and died immediately.

I have no idea what I could have done while changing the brakes that could have caused this. It seems like a coincidence but I wasn't having any issues before then not even the rough idling. Hopefully you guys might be able to give me some insight?

Thanks for any advice! Sorry for the long *** post!

TL;DR

2007 IS250 AWD.
No mods.

Car doesn't crank or start.
Very rough idle before car died.
Check VSC light on.
Did you find out the cause of your issues?
Old 11-11-16, 08:12 PM
lovetheIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koolsport
Did you find out the cause of your issues?
So just an update because this is boggling my mind...

I ended up having to get my car towed home.
It's been sitting in the driveway for a little over a week now.

I was about to read any codes the car was throwing. I figured I would try and start the car one more time to see what happens.

The car decided to crank up and start. There was a lot of hesitation at first but instead of the engine dying right away it continued to crank and turned over. No codes were read either...

I just don't understand why it decided to do this? I was expecting the battery to be even more drained at this point.

Either way I'm going to keep an eye on it and work on finally test out the parts with a multimeter.
Old 11-16-16, 12:45 PM
lovetheIS
Driver School Candidate

Updated original post...