IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

F-Sport Intake vs. Short Ram Choices?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 08:50 AM
roshedomv2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport Intake vs. Short Ram Choices?

I wanted to get an intake for my is250. I was looking into short ram ones like K&N and Takeda, but I read a couple posts on here that you lose more than you gain when you go short ram. Is that true specially the is250? If it is I was going to go for the fsport intake. So basically my question is there a performance loss with a short ram on the is250?
Old 10-25-16, 02:12 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fsport or JoeZ produce the best performance across the board. However, the performance really is neglieable. The same can be said of short ram-type intakes. If they decrease performance, it will be neglieable and you will not "feel" the difference what so ever. What you do get is an increased growl under acceleration.
Old 10-25-16, 02:23 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Short ram intakes tend to do nothing or reduce performance, usually the latter. The amount of HP you'll get from an F Sport or Joe Z intake (the two most common HP-adding intakes) is about 5whp. Some people say you'll notice a difference in exhaust sound at higher revs, but I can't attest to that.
Old 10-25-16, 02:28 PM
roshedomv2
Rookie

Ok thanks. I know I'm not gonna get drastic performance increases from intakes, but I don't want to lose any performance even if it's a little loss. I'll just go with the fsport intake.
Old 10-25-16, 03:29 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

If you look at the design of the stock intake its gets the air from the front of the grill. A short ram intake would be getting air from inside the engine bay. I would get the F-Sport Intake if I were you.
Old 10-25-16, 03:48 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Like other people have stated. The short rams usually have no effect or reduce engine power since they are drawing the air from the hot engine bay versus the front grill. Short rams do give quite a bit of growl under heavy acceleration but installing an F-Sport Lower Air Filter Housing (just did as of this post) will give you a decent bump in the sound levels as well. I must say it's quite addicting to be on full throttle now :P
Old 10-25-16, 04:16 PM
roshedomv2
Rookie

Originally Posted by DRivera250
If you look at the design of the stock intake its gets the air from the front of the grill. A short ram intake would be getting air from inside the engine bay. I would get the F-Sport Intake if I were you.
But doesn't some of the short ram intakes Like the K&N one and the Takeda one utilize that same front vent that the stock air box uses to take in air? When I looked at some setups of a short ram in an IS, there's a cutout in the heat shield that allows for that vent to filter air in there. Or it doesn't make a difference?
Old 10-25-16, 04:34 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roshedomv2
But doesn't some of the short ram intakes Like the K&N one and the Takeda one utilize that same front vent that the stock air box uses to take in air? When I looked at some setups of a short ram in an IS, there's a cutout in the heat shield that allows for that vent to filter air in there. Or it doesn't make a difference?
The short intake points that way but still open at the top and takes in air from the engine bay, while the F-Sport or Joe Z is enclosed and gets air directly from outside the engine bay.
I have the f-sport intake and it sounds great when you get on throttle hard. Its pricey though but worth it imo.
I would go with the F-Sport intake...or Joe Z, while the increase in hp is negligible its still an increase, while the short one is questionable at best or a decrease at worse like the others have pointed out.
Old 10-25-16, 05:50 PM
roshedomv2
Rookie

Ok. I got it now. Thanks for clearing that up. Fsport intake it is then.
Old 10-25-16, 10:46 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by kitabel
Wow - "which one makes the car slower the least amount?". Is that really a question? Do you think anyone will notice how different it sounds?
These all suggest that these tiny operations know things that Lexus (with an engineering department slightly smaller than the Pentagon):
1. doesn't know, or
2. doesn't want you to know

#1 advantage: you get to tell people what you did - and they're not listening.
It's all for fun for each individual, no sense raining on people's parade.
A question is a question, people put on an intake and notice a cooler sound.. who cares if others notice, if you like the sound that all that matters.
It's a personal choice ,rather a 2-3 hp increase rather than a decrease. or no intake at all.
Who cares what the engineers know or don't want you to know. to me cars are to enjoy modding if it makes sense or not to others, main thing here you're getting help and having fun!!!
Getting to tell people what you did and they're not listening ,who cares...if someone ask for your opinion why not give it.
I ask some questionable questions, I hope people help answer them for me
Old 10-26-16, 03:16 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Actually for the money the best option for an intake is the OEM setup wrapped in insulation. A little bit of time and 20 bucks worth of material from home depot and you can drastically reduce average intake temperature which means denser air and less chance of timing being pulled due to high temps.
Old 10-26-16, 08:46 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you cant find a fsport airbox, there are diys to cut a hole in the oem box. It will make it like the fsport air box.
Old 10-29-16, 01:52 AM
gamma113
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Installed my F-Sport air intake today. Best money spent so far. Amazing deep throaty sound on high Rev. I noticed the car doesn't lag as much when putting accelerator pedal down the floor. Here is my clip comparing stock vs f-sport air intake noise

Last edited by gamma113; 10-29-16 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-29-16, 06:22 AM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolsport
It's all for fun for each individual, no sense raining on people's parade.
A question is a question, people put on an intake and notice a cooler sound.. who cares if others notice, if you like the sound that all that matters.
It's a personal choice ,rather a 2-3 hp increase rather than a decrease. or no intake at all.
Who cares what the engineers know or don't want you to know. to me cars are to enjoy modding if it makes sense or not to others, main thing here you're getting help and having fun!!!
Getting to tell people what you did and they're not listening ,who cares...if someone ask for your opinion why not give it.
I ask some questionable questions, I hope people help answer them for me
lol nice said and straight up, guys i know all has cold air intake, they said these things are for NOISE won't gain or lose power and short ram isn't good due to the air it sucks directly from engine bay they said, So i would recommend F-sport because F-sport is good in the long run, short ram will definitely reduces Engine Performance when engine gets hot, Engineer can design anything but why they didn't ? you know how long these thing been tested in the Lexus Engineering press room >? if that car is a Civic or a Toyota i wouldn't mind put a cheap short ram but then a Lexus ? nah if i can't afford F-sport i rather being stocked . short ram gets good noise more air ratio more gas ratio = no Power ? so it's like you're paying $ for the noise ? not the HP ? get F-sport or real performance that gains not wast.

Last edited by The350Girl; 10-29-16 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-30-16, 08:26 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by The350Girl
lol nice said and straight up, guys i know all has cold air intake, they said these things are for NOISE won't gain or lose power and short ram isn't good due to the air it sucks directly from engine bay they said, So i would recommend F-sport because F-sport is good in the long run, short ram will definitely reduces Engine Performance when engine gets hot, Engineer can design anything but why they didn't ? you know how long these thing been tested in the Lexus Engineering press room >? if that car is a Civic or a Toyota i wouldn't mind put a cheap short ram but then a Lexus ? nah if i can't afford F-sport i rather being stocked . short ram gets good noise more air ratio more gas ratio = no Power ? so it's like you're paying $ for the noise ? not the HP ? get F-sport or real performance that gains not wast.
I know the K&N short ram does somewhat attempt to utilize the stock air intake via the grille instead of feeding off hot air in the bay only. Not much if any HP gain, but that growl is to die for!