IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 IS250 idle rattle with unstable rpm(Misfire?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 08:38 AM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2008 IS250 idle rattle with unstable rpm(Misfire?)

I just recorded this video of my car's engine acting weird when idling in gear. The rpm is already low and the car vibrates during stops. When I tried turning on the A/C, the rpm just jumps and jumps and jumps! I also heard something from the engine clicking as the rpm jumps. Please tell me if this is the engine misfire that is caused by the carbon buildup? I'm scheduled to take my car in for the test next Tuesday, just want more advice from the club if possible.
Here is the link to the video I shot:

Thanks!!!

Eric
Old 10-19-16, 05:00 PM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Anyone had seen something like this before?
Old 10-19-16, 07:52 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Look like carbone build up should bring to dealer to scan for code.
Old 10-19-16, 08:16 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check Alternator and battery
Old 10-19-16, 11:49 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by erichuang
Anyone had seen something like this before?
My car does that sometimes when I slow to a stop right after starting the car, but it will only do the up-down thing a few times then stabilizes at 600RPM.
Old 10-20-16, 08:33 AM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Look like carbone build up should bring to dealer to scan for code.
Scheduled for the test next Tuesday already. Wish me luck.
Old 10-20-16, 08:35 AM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
My car does that sometimes when I slow to a stop right after starting the car, but it will only do the up-down thing a few times then stabilizes at 600RPM.
Have you brought your car in for the extended warranty of the carbon buildup?
Old 10-21-16, 01:12 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I haven't tried to bring the car in because it doesn't seem to be a carbon buildup issue, and the dealer needs some kind of misfire code from the engine, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't have. Also, I have the IS350 so the carbon buildup is not likely to happen.
Old 10-21-16, 04:10 PM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I haven't tried to bring the car in because it doesn't seem to be a carbon buildup issue, and the dealer needs some kind of misfire code from the engine, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't have. Also, I have the IS350 so the carbon buildup is not likely to happen.
I think any car could have carbon build up issue, it's just a matter of its extent. IS 250 is just prone to it due to its design I think.
For now, I just hope it will be the carbon buildup so it will be covered by my extended warranty that is running out at the end of this year.
Old 10-22-16, 07:35 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

No CELs?

Perhaps the clutch on the A/C compressor is creating unwanted drag on the motor?
Old 10-23-16, 07:46 AM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erichuang
I think any car could have carbon build up issue, it's just a matter of its extent. IS 250 is just prone to it due to its design I think.
For now, I just hope it will be the carbon buildup so it will be covered by my extended warranty that is running out at the end of this year.
True, any car could get carbon buildup but non direct injection engine gets clean up by itself with the fuel injector overhead valve stem spray as well as IS350 the 350 has enough Horsepower to get a very least least of carbon and the IS250 DON"T, your IS250 doesn't look like it has the carbon problem, idled fine when YOU DID NOT TURN ON YOUR AC or HEAT, the RPM jumps like that because of you have a weak battery or alternator, i'm trying to help you Huang.

When IS250 breaks down by carbon your 250 should pops up a CHECK ENGINE car shake bad and stall misfire everyEngine code should be stored in your ECU, if you check my other post about Mark Levinson Audio system why it's not loud and no BASS, i coincidentally got it fixed by REPLACED a new Lexus battery, i just got this car about 10 days, the dealer had a dead battery on my car, replaced new one everything worked perfect. i love Mark Levinson Audio system !

I saw your posts here and there on Youtube also, there is a way to reduce or even prevent Carbon buildup for IS250 but no one believes it !
Old 10-23-16, 08:37 PM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The350Girl
True, any car could get carbon buildup but non direct injection engine gets clean up by itself with the fuel injector overhead valve stem spray as well as IS350 the 350 has enough Horsepower to get a very least least of carbon and the IS250 DON"T, your IS250 doesn't look like it has the carbon problem, idled fine when YOU DID NOT TURN ON YOUR AC or HEAT, the RPM jumps like that because of you have a weak battery or alternator, i'm trying to help you Huang.

When IS250 breaks down by carbon your 250 should pops up a CHECK ENGINE car shake bad and stall misfire everyEngine code should be stored in your ECU, if you check my other post about Mark Levinson Audio system why it's not loud and no BASS, i coincidentally got it fixed by REPLACED a new Lexus battery, i just got this car about 10 days, the dealer had a dead battery on my car, replaced new one everything worked perfect. i love Mark Levinson Audio system !

I saw your posts here and there on Youtube also, there is a way to reduce or even prevent Carbon buildup for IS250 but no one believes it !
I really appreciate your input. But as far as the idle goes, it gets shaky from time to time. Sometimes even in gears, it idles like the engine wasn't even on. However, when it shakes, the vibration is quite easy to notice.
Old 01-18-23, 01:20 AM
husqvarna
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The350Girl

if you are having issues with the mark levison sound system its probably because its getting wet and shorting out, this is a very common problem. i would check the rubber ducts and see if they are sealing correctly between the amp and wheelwell.
Old 01-24-23, 04:36 AM
Yodog
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by husqvarna
if you are having issues with the mark levison sound system its probably because its getting wet and shorting out, this is a very common problem. i would check the rubber ducts and see if they are sealing correctly between the amp and wheelwell.

how do you take out the ducts? Are there just like clips (top and bottom of the duct?) you squeeze from the inside and it pops outward? It seems like my hand aren’t strong enough or I’m doing it wrong…