Startup Rattle Sound.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 03:46 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erichuang
Just a quick update~
I dropped my car for the engine rebuild two weeks ago and now my baby is back! (They gave me a 2015 RX450h as a loaner, so the two weeks wait was fine.)
Now, my car is running with a much better throttle response. I also asked them to replace the camshaft gears for me when they were at it, cost me $800 with extra hour of labor, but no more rattle sound at any starts~ Yeah!
However, the idling at low rpm issue is still there. I was suggested to clean the Idling Air Control(IAC) valve myself, I guess there is carbon build up there that wasn't addressed by the engine rebuild job. Anyhow, the car drives a lot more responsive now, and it's as smooth as I want it to be, except the idling...
You did not ask them to do Carbon Build up top clean while they were there at the Engine apart ? my Friend got his 2009 IS250 in Dealership for valve spring replacement for free, he has exactly same problem as yours, Lexus Canada replace those valve springs with warranty and then he paid like 250$ CDN extra for the carbon clean up, they loan him a 2016 ES350 he done this in the summer like 2 months ago, here a tip how he done it free at dealership.

1, He called Dealer and told them his car has Engine oil burns (Lexus Canada dealer will ask to bring the car in for Oil level test)
2, He brought the car back with oil level lower than dealer measurement (If oil really burn in your Engine they will perform for an Engine rebuild, which replace broken part in there)
3, As you know IS250 has minor carbon build up and while they were at Engine dismantling you should have asked to pay extra cash for them to clean the carbon, which what my friend did, it's cheaper.

Car will drive fine without cleaning it but with cleaned engine the car of course drive better. by the way clean your MAF sensor and throttle body too.
Old 11-14-16, 05:32 PM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The350Girl
You did not ask them to do Carbon Build up top clean while they were there at the Engine apart ? my Friend got his 2009 IS250 in Dealership for valve spring replacement for free, he has exactly same problem as yours, Lexus Canada replace those valve springs with warranty and then he paid like 250$ CDN extra for the carbon clean up, they loan him a 2016 ES350 he done this in the summer like 2 months ago, here a tip how he done it free at dealership.

1, He called Dealer and told them his car has Engine oil burns (Lexus Canada dealer will ask to bring the car in for Oil level test)
2, He brought the car back with oil level lower than dealer measurement (If oil really burn in your Engine they will perform for an Engine rebuild, which replace broken part in there)
3, As you know IS250 has minor carbon build up and while they were at Engine dismantling you should have asked to pay extra cash for them to clean the carbon, which what my friend did, it's cheaper.

Car will drive fine without cleaning it but with cleaned engine the car of course drive better. by the way clean your MAF sensor and throttle body too.
I think the engine rebuild included all the cleaning or the carbon build up. However, i think cleaning the throttle body and the IAC would be wise too.
Old 11-16-16, 09:56 AM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, every morning I gotta deal with the rattle...sick of it....

my dealer want $1500.00

can you post the part numbers they used?
if and when you get a chance

Im gonna buy the parts online and take it to my guy for install
Old 11-16-16, 10:05 AM
erichuang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 87vertgt

my dealer want $1500.00

I'll check the check-out paper later today and see if there's anything.
I think the parts cost me $700ish for two of the cam gears, the most expensive part is labor to be honest.
Old 11-21-16, 02:32 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

my dealer want $1500.00

I've gotten a quote to replace the cam gears. Here is a list of parts:

2 x LE13050-31122 GEAR ASSY
4 X LE90430-16012 GASKET
2 X LE90430-16016 GASKET
1 X LE11328-31030 GASKET, TIMING CHAIN
4 X LE11159-0P010 GASKET, CAMSHAFT BEA
2 X LE90430-A0001 GASKET
1 X LE23915-46011 INSULATOR, FUEL PUMP
1 X LE11214-31020 GASKET, CYLINDER HEA
1 X LE11213-31040 GASKET, CYLINDER HEA
3 X LE17176-31050 GASKET, AIR SURGE TA

My quote was a couple of years ago and the total came out to $863 in parts and $1170 in labor.

Having said that, my co-worker gave me a big jug of Marvel Mystery Oil that he had sitting in his garage. I am not a big additives guy. I just don't really think they are necessary but out of desperation I gave it a shot and used 0.6 qt of the 6.6qt in an oil change with the stuff. I am now on the second oil change and used it again. Believe it or not, my rattle is gone! I seriously can't believe the stuff worked but it has. I only use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and have used it since the car was new but maybe the cam gears develop sludge or maybe Mobil 1 is too thick when cold. I did hear that Mobil changed the formula a few years back and it's no longer a true synthetic. My noise first started around 60k miles and I currently have almost 120k. Either way, the noise is gone.
The following users liked this post:
87vertgt (09-20-17)
Old 09-20-17, 11:33 AM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

anyone still dealing with this problem?

I think im just gonna give in and pay the $1500..00 ouch !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-17, 11:39 AM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

Question, so is the main part that needs to be replaced is two of these? LE13050-31122 GEAR ASSY
Attached Thumbnails Startup Rattle Sound.-gear.png  
Old 09-25-17, 07:04 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

anyone still dealing with this problem?

I think im just gonna give in and pay the $1500..00 ouch !!!!!!!!!!!
My noise is still gone since I started using marvel mystery oil.
Old 07-24-19, 02:37 PM
Logic3016
Driver School Candidate

same here have you found the problem my car has 250k so it would make sense
Old 06-22-21, 09:07 AM
dunavind
Driver School Candidate

My mechanic told me the rattle was the oil pan. Mine does it when it's hot but not when it's cold, if it sits in the heat for over an hour I get the annoying noise, it's embarrassing, you have this beautiful car and when you start it ppl look at you like - dang you need to get that checked out. There is no fix for it, my mechanic said when the oil gets hot and drops it makes that sound, he said it's a lexus thing. I am so annoyed with my dealership here in Austin Texas as I have tried to get an answer from them and they just say "I can't hear anything" they won't be honest with me and I will never go back. I use a local mechanic that has not skin in the lexus game. I do love my lexus but when I buy another one the first Q I will ask is if this model does the same thing.
Old 07-25-21, 11:51 AM
AlanNguyen
7th Gear

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
My noise is still gone since I started using marvel mystery oil.
Did you use Marvel Mystery Oil in your oil or in the gas? How much did you use and for how long did you leave it in there. Do you use it with every oil change in the oil?
Old 07-27-21, 11:00 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlanNguyen
Did you use Marvel Mystery Oil in your oil or in the gas? How much did you use and for how long did you leave it in there. Do you use it with every oil change in the oil?
I was using it in the oil. 6 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic and 0.6 qt of MMO. I have also found that Mobil 1 high mileage has similar results
Old 07-29-21, 10:39 AM
AlanNguyen
7th Gear

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
I was using it in the oil. 6 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic and 0.6 qt of MMO. I have also found that Mobil 1 high mileage has similar results
Thanks for getting back to me, has the noise came back if you stopped using MMO? Im going to try today to take a quart out and put a quart in and run it for 100 miles and see how it works.
Old 07-29-21, 11:10 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlanNguyen
Thanks for getting back to me, has the noise came back if you stopped using MMO? Im going to try today to take a quart out and put a quart in and run it for 100 miles and see how it works.

The engine actually failed on my car from unrelated causes @ 182k miles (failed intake valve cleaning kit). Up until that point, however, the issue wasn't completely gone but it was mostly non-existent. I did experiment and the rattle did come back a little when I stopped using MMO or high mileage oil. I'm guessing there must be some rubber seals that harden up over time and using MMO or high mileage oil softens them back up. I would definitely give it a shot. It's probably the cheapest thing you can do at this point. I did get a quote several years back to replace the cam gears and it was around $2,200.

Last edited by firelikeiy; 07-29-21 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-27-23, 04:21 PM
Chrissk8z
2nd gear

Originally Posted by trippy
same problem and i always think its the cat.. lol since i have that rotten egg smell
the rotten egg smell is probably your back vent in the trunk i put tape over mine it i don’t smell it anymore might wanna do it because that’s exhaust smell

Quick Reply: Startup Rattle Sound.