IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Gun mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 08:04 AM
IScommuter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gun mounts?

Looking at my IS this morning and seeing where you mount holsters? The center console seems awkward and isn't really big enough for the weapons I daily carry unless I take a micro pistol (not a fan...wife's anyway).

My ideas:

-Buy a nylon holster, use velcro and mount it on the transmission tunnel. This would be optimal for quick access and since my dominate hand is my right.
-Looking at the door panel, I could mount something there on the inside and out of the way, but at that point it looks about as accessible as the trunk.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing. Thanks.
Old 10-07-16, 11:03 AM
ponteley
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Back pocket of the passenger's seat.
Don't even need holster for small guys like LCP
Old 10-07-16, 11:14 AM
IScommuter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ponteley
Back pocket of the passenger's seat.
Don't even need holster for small guys like LCP
Not a bad idea for people without kids. Thanks for your suggestion though. Appreciate it.
Old 10-07-16, 12:36 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

I think the door pocket would be a little cumbersome and hard to draw your firearm if needed in a pinch. I like the trans tunnel idea. You can almost chamber a round as soon as its a few inches above all in one flowing motion. Especially defending yourself from an attack on the the drivers side.
Old 10-07-16, 01:09 PM
TopNotchIN
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

It's nice to see a fellow member whom exercises his 2nd amendment rights. Since the IS is a smaller platform it indeed makes carrying a firearm challenging. One way that you could alleviate issues is incorporate a seat-mounted holster system. These devices are available online and possibly at your LGS. I'm unfamiliar with how they are attached exactly, but it seems like the solution you are seeking. I'm sure a simple Google search would bring up results from many online stores that carry these specific holsters. From my understanding, the holster basically "hangs" from the front seat cushion and would be directly between your legs. All you would need to do is reach towards the front of your seat to draw your weapon. Hopefully, this helps out!
Old 10-07-16, 01:33 PM
IScommuter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
I think the door pocket would be a little cumbersome and hard to draw your firearm if needed in a pinch. I like the trans tunnel idea. You can almost chamber a round as soon as its a few inches above all in one flowing motion. Especially defending yourself from an attack on the the drivers side.
Probably going to go this route.

I don't worry about chambering a round. The only time any of my weapons isn't ready to rock is during cleaning.
Old 10-07-16, 01:47 PM
IScommuter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TopNotchIN
It's nice to see a fellow member whom exercises his 2nd amendment rights. Since the IS is a smaller platform it indeed makes carrying a firearm challenging. One way that you could alleviate issues is incorporate a seat-mounted holster system. These devices are available online and possibly at your LGS. I'm unfamiliar with how they are attached exactly, but it seems like the solution you are seeking. I'm sure a simple Google search would bring up results from many online stores that carry these specific holsters. From my understanding, the holster basically "hangs" from the front seat cushion and would be directly between your legs. All you would need to do is reach towards the front of your seat to draw your weapon. Hopefully, this helps out!
Hell yeah it helps out. Thanks.

Looked at this:

https://www.seatcarry.com

I will let you guys know what I come up with.
Old 10-07-16, 03:48 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about something like this. .think I may go this route
Old 10-07-16, 05:47 PM
wbwufpack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you guys doing to secure them when you go somewhere you can't carry? I would love to find a way to mount a quick access safe in the car.
Old 10-07-16, 06:37 PM
IScommuter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wbwufpack
What are you guys doing to secure them when you go somewhere you can't carry? I would love to find a way to mount a quick access safe in the car.
you can get those little personal pistol safes that has the cable lanyard. They work pretty good.
Old 10-07-16, 06:39 PM
IScommuter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OoAaronoO

What about something like this. .think I may go this route
will that effect the knee airbag?
Old 10-07-16, 06:44 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Threads like this make me hate living in CA.
Old 10-07-16, 08:33 PM
IScommuter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
Threads like this make me hate living in CA.
That was one of the deciding factors on why I left in 97', and it wasn't that bad back then.
Old 10-07-16, 09:26 PM
cotswold
Driver

I have been working on this myself, but I think I have found something that will work. On the front bottom of the driver's seat there is a plastic cover that covers the front and sides. This will be the mounting point. Next the holster, this might sound crazy but I found a AR 15 mag pouch that works perfect. It is a 5.11 tactical brand "single" mag pouch. The pouch uses straps with snaps that can be adjusted to fit multiple size mounts. I have a full size FNS-9mm that fits the pouch perfectly. Installation is simple, unsnap straps, slip straps between plastic cover and leather seat cushion. Slide straps down behind cover, then re-snap straps. The pouch can be slid from one side or the other for right or left hand use. I just got my pouch today, so I will take some pic's after install.
Old 10-07-16, 10:16 PM
IScommuter
Driver School Candidate

I like it @cotswold. Be interested in seeing your final product.

Plenty of great ideas. Keep them coming.

Quick Reply: Gun mounts?