IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What mistakes have you wasted money on your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 04:17 AM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool What mistakes have you wasted money on your IS?

OK here are some of the stuff I should've waited before buying...but nooo.. right off the bat I had to waste some money.
I got a K&N filter, I never used it ...and instead ordered a F-Sport intake so I wasted $50
Next I got 4 Ichiba V2 20mm spacers to widen my stance, but ending up getting some Vossens so I wasted $240, the Ichibas were $120 a pair.
Got some back tires for $500 mounted and balanced then decided they weren't wide enough so got bigger ones and pretty much wasted that $500.
So I've wasted about $800, hopefully I can make 50% of that back selling the stuff eventually.
Ouch!
Old 10-07-16, 07:05 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I impulse bought a lip. Didnt like the way it looked on my ride without paint so sold it at a minor loss.
Old 10-07-16, 07:07 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

So far I haven't made a purchasing mistake like that yet due to my over-researching nature. I do remember last winter when I was late night snow drifting in an empty parking lot with a friend there was this really sharp corner that I wanted to nail down. I kept attacking it with more gradually more power and angle until I went in too fast and my rear tire caught the curb before I could straighten out. It instantly went flat but I didn't have a pump on hand so I thought it was ok to drive 2 blocks or so back to my house to fill it up. After doing so the wheel wouldn't stop leaking air so I brought it to get a tire patch or a reseal. Ended up that I shredded up the inside of the tire by driving on it flat (current tires with Michelin X-Ice 3s - so not run flats). Had to buy a brand new pair of them. So I wasted about $250 CAD with a stupid mistake since that particular tire still had like 9/32 of tread I believe.
Old 10-07-16, 08:27 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought Nigel's taillights for $480 and then decided I liked spec-D'x lights better. On the bright side I got to do a side by side comparison and sold the other ones for a $100 loss. Other than those I would say just copious amounts of vinyl wrap for my interior until I decided to just get real carbon fiber. With those projects I have a ton of extra OEM parts that are sitting around waiting for something to come along. I'd have to say close to a grand though.
Old 10-07-16, 08:32 AM
Snapkiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just started buying parts for my car and well lets say Im not a smart man. Bought a 2011 front lip for my 2010 is250 that dont work. Since im in Canada, im down 150 bucks.
Old 10-07-16, 09:03 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1. Interior Carbon Fiber Stickers from Memo USA. Cost: $ 200
- Wrong cut dimensions
- UV rays caused them to yellow & caused the clear coat plastic cover on them to pop out.

2. Fixing the rear sub woofer 3 times. After 2 days of each fix it dies again.
Old 10-07-16, 10:09 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I wasted around ~$3000 on lip kit and paint, navigation that i broke, plus some more small stuff
Old 10-07-16, 11:13 AM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We all make mistakes. I personnaly made a few myself. Although this thread is interesting but yet embarassing to some.

Still an amature in modding. Bought Swift Springs to go on my stock shocks. Turns out i wanted it much lower. Dont buy springs its not worth it.

Bought a used Coilovers from a member " well known " club member. Said everything included but i didnt check and was missing the coilover wrenches. -$20. Never got a reply back from him. ( you know who u are )

bought knock off Tanabe exhaust (M2/Manzo). A week driving and fed up with it. Silent and drone. Got a resonator deleted along with it. -$250

got a F-Sport exhaust. Still didnt like it. Wasnt loud enough. With resonator deleted it drones much worst. Had to add it back on -$50. Should have added a mid-pipe but i was dumb.

sold the F-Sport and got a muffler delete currently. It sounds pretty good and not much different then the F-Sport just a bit louder. Might add a midpipe. Going to git rid of this setup soon and might go a different route exhaust -$150

Everyone says the term " do it right the first time " well its partly true but not everyone has the same taste. You learn from your mistake pretty much lol
Old 10-07-16, 11:50 AM
akoster
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My only mistake was when I was having the check VSC light come on and the mechanic I went too said I needed to replace the MAF snensor. Turns out I only needed to replace the intake. Wasted an extra $300
Old 10-07-16, 12:34 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 83 Posts

I bought a rear diffuser from ebay $80 and decided not to install it. I threw the box away so I cant return it. Any buyers??
Attached Thumbnails What mistakes have you wasted money on your IS?-diffuser.jpg  
Old 10-07-16, 01:12 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

*K&N drop-in filer element with the recharger kit (sitting in attic collecting dust)
*New OEM lower grill mesh (sitting in attic collecting dust)
*New lower engine cover (sitting in attic collecting dust)
*Accidentally purchased the wrong fog light HIDs kit; got one for a BMW or Audi. (sitting in attic collecting dust)

Mesh and lower cover can still be used or installed. Just haven't been a perfectionist with my 2IS for a while now and those slightly damaged parts can just sit I guess until when I sell the car (if I ever do!).
Old 10-07-16, 03:14 PM
DVS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasted going with the model 250 when I should of gotten the model 350
Old 10-07-16, 06:17 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Keo
We all make mistakes. I personnaly made a few myself. Although this thread is interesting but yet embarassing to some.

Still an amature in modding. Bought Swift Springs to go on my stock shocks. Turns out i wanted it much lower. Dont buy springs its not worth it.

Bought a used Coilovers from a member " well known " club member. Said everything included but i didnt check and was missing the coilover wrenches. -$20. Never got a reply back from him. ( you know who u are )

bought knock off Tanabe exhaust (M2/Manzo). A week driving and fed up with it. Silent and drone. Got a resonator deleted along with it. -$250

got a F-Sport exhaust. Still didnt like it. Wasnt loud enough. With resonator deleted it drones much worst. Had to add it back on -$50. Should have added a mid-pipe but i was dumb.

sold the F-Sport and got a muffler delete currently. It sounds pretty good and not much different then the F-Sport just a bit louder. Might add a midpipe. Going to git rid of this setup soon and might go a different route exhaust -$150

Everyone says the term " do it right the first time " well its partly true but not everyone has the same taste. You learn from your mistake pretty much lol
Yeah so true, we learn from our mistakes!

Last edited by Koolsport; 10-07-16 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-07-16, 06:56 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wasted on buying an is250 done worst mistake
Old 10-08-16, 05:21 AM
wbwufpack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does an extended warranty count? I bought a 2009 IS350 with 59k and purchased a warranty up to 107k for $2k. I still have time to cancel and get my money back which I am seriously considering. Just trying to weigh the odds of a $2k+ repair in the next 4 years.

Quick Reply: What mistakes have you wasted money on your IS?