IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 Lexus Is250 Life Span? Life Expectancy? Highest Mileage ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 12:54 PM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry 2006 Lexus Is250 Life Span? Life Expectancy? Highest Mileage ?

Hello Everyone. I am the 2nd owner of a Lexus Is250 RWD . I bought the car when it had 70 000 KMs on it and now it has around 160 000 . Lately I started having few problems with the car. No audio come out of the sound system but power is present. Also got code p0420 . I took it to Lexus and they mentioned that my RH Catalytic Converter needs to be replaced and it is around $$1500 Tax in . Also suggested replacing all Oxygen Sensors in few miles which will cost around $1000 all together Tax in with labour. . I wanted to know how much can I realistically get out of the car? I do treat the car fairly well but I push it when I can. I looked for the highest mileage on a car and the highest I have seen for the 2nd Generation is 250 000 KILOMETERS.. The Rest are just for parts or have a 2nd Engine in it .I heard people saying you can get 400 000 Kms from a Toyota product (If properly maintained) but maybe does not apply to the 2nd Generation IS.. Cant see anything beyond 250 000 and the car is 11 years old. Iv seen newer models with more than 300 0000 kms. from reading Lexus Forums.I read that the 2nd Generation IS cars are probably the worst car that Lexus came out with. Issues with Carbon Build up. Misfire and parts breaking..Should I look into selling or trading the car while it is alive? Please only reply If you're a 2nd Generation IS Owner. Appreciate all your replies.
Old 10-05-16, 01:28 PM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Everything at dealerships is overpriced. Try and find a local mech to do the job. As for cats dying, this also happened to my previous car (1IS). You can try and find simulators that trick the ECU into thinking your cats as working as per norm. I know 1IS had something like that when I didnt want to pay $1500 for new cats.

My current IS 07 is at 260 00 KM's. And still strong. It really depends on how much preventive maintenance you want to do.

As the saying goes "Nip the problem in the bud" The longer you delay repairs on a problem, more problems will arise from it.
Old 10-05-16, 09:47 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy O2 sensors and install it you self it's pretty easy and cost $200 for parts.
Old 10-05-16, 09:48 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IS250 spark plug and labors also cost $500. Do it yourself $100 for parts.
Old 10-05-16, 10:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

There was a member with 255k miles on his 2006 that used to be on here if i recall correctly. That being said, this is the argument I've made for my 2008 IS250 (now totaled) and my current 2006 GS300. While far from the most reliable cars to ever come out of Lexus, they are still extremely reliable, especially when compared to cars they compete with. You also have to remember, your car is ten years old, even if the car itself doesn't feel like it. After that long on salt covered roads, some exhaust work is to be expected, and you will have to do some larger services, but once those are completed the car should be ready to go for many more miles. . If you are in the Toronto area, I highly suggest Rick at Aussie Auto.
Old 10-06-16, 09:01 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Did you check for an exhaust leak under the heat shield by the Y-pipe? Extremely common problem; certainly the most common cause P0420 (and P0430) codes on the 2IS, especially in areas where they use salt and snow melting chemicals on the roads.
Old 06-10-18, 04:59 PM
BlueSkyDi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Did you check for an exhaust leak under the heat shield by the Y-pipe? Extremely common problem; certainly the most common cause P0420 (and P0430) codes on the 2IS, especially in areas where they use salt and snow melting chemicals on the roads.
Thanks so much, you guys. I have a 2006 IS 250 RW. It has been fantastic, but I took it to LEXUS just to make sure my cat was okay--it's got a little leak somewhere and the lights come on, but it is no big deal. HOWEVER, 3 months after they checked it out, it is making noise and vibrating sounding like it's coming near the attachment, up in the front part of the car. I just got off the phone with an honest mechanic--my friend says he's honest--and he's saying if it's a steel pipe, he can't weld it. Is that an honest statement?
Thanks--don't know if I can post a phone number but you can text me at 941-504-1130. TY.
Old 06-10-18, 05:00 PM
BlueSkyDi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlueSkyDi
Thanks so much, you guys. I have a 2006 IS 250 RW. It has been fantastic, but I took it to LEXUS just to make sure my cat was okay--it's got a little leak somewhere and the lights come on, but it is no big deal. HOWEVER, 3 months after they checked it out, it is making noise and vibrating sounding like it's coming near the attachment, up in the front part of the car. I just got off the phone with an honest mechanic--my friend says he's honest--and he's saying if it's a steel pipe, he can't weld it. Is that an honest statement?
Thanks--don't know if I can post a phone number but you can text me at 941-504-1130. TY.
P.S. Just moved to Sarasota from Mountain Lakes, NJ myself!
Old 06-10-18, 10:27 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Bought my 2006 at 93k, it now has 180k. Other than fixing the transmission the car has been problem free. Never had carbon build up issues either.
Old 06-11-18, 03:13 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BlueSkyDi
I just got off the phone with an honest mechanic--my friend says he's honest--and he's saying if it's a steel pipe, he can't weld it. Is that an honest statement?
If your mechanic can't weld it, bring it to a competent exhaust shop that can. If you bring it somewhere that doesn't weld, they'll replace the entire mid-pipe section including the two cats, a fine repair but a much more expensive way to go. The dealer gets $2k or more for that fix.
Old 06-11-18, 03:33 AM
BlueSkyDi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
If your mechanic can't weld it, bring it to a competent exhaust shop that can. If you bring it somewhere that doesn't weld, they'll replace the entire mid-pipe section including the two cats, a fine repair but a much more expensive way to go. The dealer gets $2k or more for that fix.
Thanks, Bichon. He was saying he might have to take it to a guy he knows who does exc exhaust work. I'd rather not him drive my car, though! But I'll start there first.
BTW, that Lexus procedure is into $4000 now, here in Sarasota. No kidding. I asked about it when I took the car to Lexus for the initial query about the lights coming on.
Old 06-11-18, 12:55 PM
BlueSkyDi
Driver School Candidate

Hello again.
Okay, I looked under the car with him. At the top section of the mid-pipe, there is a 1" crack along the length of the pipe itself. Just was rusted from the inside, and thin, and driving the car caused the crack. Mechanic says can't weld it or onto it, have to replace it, and they're recommending replacing the entire central pipe. On the parts estimate, they're calling it: "Y-Pipe with Resonator" $759 plus 2-1/2 hours labor.
Think I should do it?
Car is a 2006. Pretty rusted on the bottom, but the body and shine look new. I had people at an open house comment on how gorgeous my car was, and when I told them the age, they couldn't believe it.
Thing is, I can be paying $1150 to repair, and then the y-parts could rust out and not work, and I'd be throwing more money at it.
In Florida, you don't have emissions issues. Ordinarily, I consider myself a "green" person, but in this case, I really just want to 1) stop the noise, and 2) not have the pipes fall off the car.

Please, I seek opinions.
TY
Old 06-11-18, 08:44 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

I’m sure there are plenty of muffler shops in the Tampa or central FL area that can fix this or do cat delete. I see a lot of ISF guys getting rid of them and the mufflers. Not sure how the O2 sensors will react.

Eitherway any fix in FL on underside will last forever here unless you are driving thru salt water.
The following users liked this post:
BlueSkyDi (06-12-18)
Old 06-12-18, 03:09 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

My previous comment about bringing it to a competent exhaust shop stands. Your mechanic may be honest and good, but he doesn't have the mandrel benders, specialized welding equipment and exhaust fabrication skills to be able to cut out and replace the corroded section of pipe.
The following users liked this post:
BlueSkyDi (06-12-18)
Old 06-12-18, 04:43 AM
BlueSkyDi
Driver School Candidate

Yes, thanks. And previously driving in NY and NJ all winter long, WAS like driving perpetually through salt water.

Quick Reply: 2006 Lexus Is250 Life Span? Life Expectancy? Highest Mileage ?