No Sound after Rainy day

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 09:06 AM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation No Sound after Rainy day

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and this is my first post , So I am hoping to get Detailed and Precise answers.

Recently , My 2006 Lexus Is250 RWD Audio stopped working after I leave it overnight on a rainy day . No sounds comes out when trying to play Radio, CD or from an Aux input.

Power is present and I can turn the volume up down, switch FM channels, load cds in but no sounds comes out.

Now,.... When I try to turn off the power to the Audio system with the **** and turn it back on I hear a noise coming from the back . its sounds like two cables + and - Touching each other, a mix of clicking noise and a thud noise. The noise repeats multiple times If the rain is or was heavy. (up to 3 intervals) within 1-2 secs. and only once on a light rainy day. the noise and time interval decreases as I drive sometimes when I constantly turn off and Turn on the Audio system an finally after 15-20 mins of driving /turning off and on the Audio power . Everything works.

I have read so many articles here similar to the issue that I am encountering but found no real solution. Most of the forms Suggests the following:

1. change your AMP (Faulty Amp) : Now I really do not see how this is related to the AMP .why would the car audio works when it is garage kept but refuses to work when its kept out door on rainy days only .
2. Check for Leaks. in the trunk and where the AMP is located and inside the car for spots that are wet. ( I checked the trunk and Inside the car . Took out the side door steps where the cables might run all the way to the back of the turnk) and Nadda . Felts every single spot inside the car for wet and leaky spots and again Nadda.
3 . removed all cables coming out from the the lighter charger and Aux the night before and still faced the issue in the morning .

My car has OEM and genuine parts everyone. Nothing is modified or altered with.So I am not sure what this issue could be. So Please, If you Think you know what this issue might be or have faced a similar issue in your IS250 then please advise on what to do.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by memoalkati; 09-29-16 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-29-16, 10:14 AM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got that same problem.

I wonder if water is leaking in thru the windshield to the back of headunit.....
Old 09-29-16, 10:31 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 87vertgt
I got that same problem.

I wonder if water is leaking in thru the windshield to the back of headunit.....
+1. Logic tells water leak is first thing to check.
Old 09-29-16, 11:25 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ............

It is well documented that water or condensation finds its way into AMP located inside the trunk pass side. Locate the amp and remove it, check for dampness, dry the unit and if its not toast, find the leak dry the unit and install it back. If toast get an aftermarket one or a replacement from the yards.
Old 09-29-16, 12:00 PM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently it's another common problem. My audio wouldn't work if the car sits in rain but it works when I wash it lol. But yeah like above said it's most likely the AMP. Mine is because the previous owner had aftermarket stereo setup in the trunk so he probably messed up the AMP.
Old 09-29-16, 12:20 PM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

Default Amp and Trunk are both really dry

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
It is well documented that water or condensation finds its way into AMP located inside the trunk pass side. Locate the amp and remove it, check for dampness, dry the unit and if its not toast, find the leak dry the unit and install it back. If toast get an aftermarket one or a replacement from the yards.

Amp and Trunk are both really dry - again I checked for wet spots everywhere knowing that this only happens when it rains. so common sense to check for leaks. Sighhhhh . don't really know what else to do. Its driving me beyond crazy
Old 09-29-16, 12:35 PM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's probably the AMP.

Im gonna swap it out.

Im gonna Mount It under the rear speakers...on the piece of subframe....shouldnt be visable.
Old 09-29-16, 01:00 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I've had it happen to me when it hasn't rained at all.. Its only happened to me twice since owning my car.. but super strange when it does happen.. restarting the car has worked both times for me.. explain that one lol
Old 09-29-16, 01:05 PM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

how is it the Amp when it works 20 days straight when no rain is present. and the day it rains , it stops working ?????
Old 09-29-16, 01:11 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because it's documented that when water is present moisture locates in the spot where the AMP is located according to 5gears-is, so if the amp is getting water in it, it will make it work incorrectly and mess with your sound system.

If it wasn't raining for those 20 days, it didn't have any moisture , then once it rained it got wet
Old 09-29-16, 01:22 PM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

So basically I am at a dead point now because I mentioned in my comments and Steps followed to check for wet and damped water spots inside the Trunk , by the amp and in every single inch inside the car.......sighhhhhhhhh
Old 09-29-16, 01:28 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe place some moisture wicking packets by the amp? the kind you find in a new box of shoes.. silica beads or whatever they are..

Sounds like it could be the slightest bit of moisture (humidity?) that causes the amp to drop out so maybe a few packets will work

Still doesn't explain how when I have no rain for a week.. I start up my car and no sound comes from anything other then bluetooth.. and then i turn off the car and start it again and everything works..
Old 09-29-16, 06:12 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by memoalkati
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and this is my first post , So I am hoping to get Detailed and Precise answers.

Recently , My 2006 Lexus Is250 RWD Audio stopped working after I leave it overnight on a rainy day . No sounds comes out when trying to play Radio, CD or from an Aux input.

Power is present and I can turn the volume up down, switch FM channels, load cds in but no sounds comes out.

Now,.... When I try to turn off the power to the Audio system with the **** and turn it back on I hear a noise coming from the back . its sounds like two cables + and - Touching each other, a mix of clicking noise and a thud noise. The noise repeats multiple times If the rain is or was heavy. (up to 3 intervals) within 1-2 secs. and only once on a light rainy day. the noise and time interval decreases as I drive sometimes when I constantly turn off and Turn on the Audio system an finally after 15-20 mins of driving /turning off and on the Audio power . Everything works.

I have read so many articles here similar to the issue that I am encountering but found no real solution. Most of the forms Suggests the following:

1. change your AMP (Faulty Amp) : Now I really do not see how this is related to the AMP .why would the car audio works when it is garage kept but refuses to work when its kept out door on rainy days only .
2. Check for Leaks. in the trunk and where the AMP is located and inside the car for spots that are wet. ( I checked the trunk and Inside the car . Took out the side door steps where the cables might run all the way to the back of the turnk) and Nadda . Felts every single spot inside the car for wet and leaky spots and again Nadda.
3 . removed all cables coming out from the the lighter charger and Aux the night before and still faced the issue in the morning .

My car has OEM and genuine parts everyone. Nothing is modified or altered with.So I am not sure what this issue could be. So Please, If you Think you know what this issue might be or have faced a similar issue in your IS250 then please advise on what to do.

Thank you all in advance.
This sounds like either a short or a bad ground somewhere. Also, although the trunk etc is all dry your stereo/speaker/amp wires could be routed through the body panels/floor/headliner etc. There is always a possibility that water is getting in there and creating a short. You're going to need a Volt Meter and do some testing. Test for continuity, etc.

Last edited by Mrfix; 09-29-16 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-29-16, 06:58 PM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for all your answers.So I just did a test that few kept insisting that the Amp is wet or is moist. and frankly you were absolutely right. If you have the same exact symptoms as I do. place your car in the garage . turn it off. then open the trunk and use a hair dryer and dry out the Amp (located on the right side of the trunk under the plastic piece.Dry it Even if you don't see water there . do that for few minutes then try and turn on your radio on. This solution worked right the way for me. so its moisture sometime and not water. in my case i think there might be a tiny water leak. does anyone know where water might be coming from? any links to rain drainage hose diagrams?

Finally got my answer. I could not believe it that it was invisible to the naked eye. Thank you all so much. It was literally driving me crazy.
The following users liked this post:
sNotM3 (06-03-23)
Old 09-30-16, 12:47 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I have this SAME exact issue, usually quickly turning on/off the radio works for me after awhile. I keep checking the amp and its always dry. Today is rainy, just went out on lunch and had no audio for my entire drive. Kept power cycling and eventually it came back. What's weird is that it never just goes out...so is there a fix for this? Wrapping a towel around the amp or something?

Also, this doesn't just happen on rainy days. A couple hot dry summer days it did this same thing too.

Quick Reply: No Sound after Rainy day