IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No Sound after Rainy day

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 05:10 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

A container of DampRid back there will help too!
Old 10-01-16, 03:14 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this for our stock set up ?? i never had this problem with 2 amps for speaker and sub....hmmm glad i changed out the stock crap
Old 10-03-16, 07:13 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

The amp is completely dry, no moisture back there whatsoever. Sat in underground garage all night. Still, this morning, it had issues starting the audio system. Turned the car to the "ON" position and then that was followed by the "blup -pop" and no sound. I power cycled the head unit until it eventually came back. It can't be a fuse because if it were then the sound would never come back simply by powering on and off the head unit over and over again. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if its the head unit or amp that is bad or going out.
Old 10-03-16, 08:41 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

At the amp there'd be RCA connectors coming from the head as an input to amp. Disconnect it and check the output from the head. If there is no signal then of course amp has nothing to amplify. My back is in electronics (class of '64 EE) so problem like this is a cinch for me but hope you can find a friend or good 12V mobile shop who will solve the issue once and all. I always lament mechanics weakest point is lack of sound electronics knowledge. I bailed them out many time on 12V electrical problems. Trouble-shooting is a process of logical elimination.
The following users liked this post:
sNotM3 (06-03-23)
Old 10-03-16, 12:47 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by Htony
At the amp there'd be RCA connectors coming from the head as an input to amp. Disconnect it and check the output from the head. If there is no signal then of course amp has nothing to amplify. My back is in electronics (class of '64 EE) so problem like this is a cinch for me but hope you can find a friend or good 12V mobile shop who will solve the issue once and all. I always lament mechanics weakest point is lack of sound electronics knowledge. I bailed them out many time on 12V electrical problems. Trouble-shooting is a process of logical elimination.
The factory amp has no RCA inputs/outputs.
Old 10-03-16, 02:20 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Only plugs from the head unit as well...
Old 10-13-16, 08:46 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

I just wanted to comment again on this...

Yesterday, October 12th 2016, it was another RAINY day. Of course, when I went out to my car on my lunch break I assumed the audio would not work. Of course I was right.

So when I got home after work, it was still raining outside and my audio didn't work the entire ride home. I removed my amp (2X 10MM nuts), and noticed that there was, in fact, moisture on the bottom of it. However, there was nowhere for the water to come from, nothing was damp, there were no leaks. I have no idea how it happened.

Anyway, I went and used my wife's blow dryer and dried it. Plugged it back in and wallah, it worked agian. I have now stuffed a dish clothe down underneath it and so far it is working good.

I'd really love to know where that water is coming from...it's a mystery.
sNotM3 (06-03-23)
Old 10-13-16, 05:31 PM
Gville350

A trick I used to use when working on my old Hondas was having someone outside hosing down the car while I was inside with a flashlight looking for the leak. In your case, since the leak is not easily visible, I'd remove any carpeting/plastics/etc in or around the area to best see where it's coming from.
Old 10-14-16, 08:44 AM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i had this problem too....

like I said...my amp was cutting out when it rained until it completely burnt out from me not doing anything about the moisture problem...

I ended up buying a replacment AMP and swapped it out...

Radio is working.

But it hasnt rained yet.

Im a little worried im gonna end up ruining this amp if I dont do something about the moisture problem back there ...
Old 10-14-16, 08:45 AM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gohanburne
I just wanted to comment again on this...

Yesterday, October 12th 2016, it was another RAINY day. Of course, when I went out to my car on my lunch break I assumed the audio would not work. Of course I was right.

So when I got home after work, it was still raining outside and my audio didn't work the entire ride home. I removed my amp (2X 10MM nuts), and noticed that there was, in fact, moisture on the bottom of it. However, there was nowhere for the water to come from, nothing was damp, there were no leaks. I have no idea how it happened.

Anyway, I went and used my wife's blow dryer and dried it. Plugged it back in and wallah, it worked agian. I have now stuffed a dish clothe down underneath it and so far it is working good.

I'd really love to know where that water is coming from...it's a mystery.

theres a Air Vent right next to the AMP.

It connects to bottom of car....Im suspecting water makes its way thru there?
sNotM3 (06-03-23)
Old 10-14-16, 08:47 AM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

oh also, one more thing...

Im debating on remounting the AMP from under the carpet to somewhere else in the trunk....maybe on the wall of the trunk. somewhere that is not enclosed such as the small area that it's currently located in
Old 10-14-16, 09:15 AM
87vertgt
Driver School Candidate

oh also, one more thing...

Im debating on remounting the AMP from under the carpet to somewhere else in the trunk....maybe on the wall of the trunk. somewhere that is not enclosed such as the small area that it's currently located in
Old 11-01-16, 07:33 PM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I Found a Solution to this problem.If your amp makes a static popping noise every time you turn it on. then the amp is fine. just needs to "Warm up". you can expedite this process by applying hot air from a hair dryer to the amp if you like but if you want a permanent solution here is what you do. Now you guys are going to laugh at me but I took out the amp from the trunk of the car. wrapped it with a thick kitchen towel and placed it back in without applying the screws. . When you place it back. make sure that no metal from the Amplifier is touching the metal from the base where the amp sits.. do that and plug in the cables after . and make sure the bottom of the amp, the sides and the top is fully covered with the towel after connecting all the wires. Now sit back and watch it work like a charm . I have no logical explanation for this excepts. it either needs to warm up or something with the ground wire is finicky. I did it after a member from this forum inboxed me and I laughed but did it out of desperation. Hope this works for everyone.

UPDATED : THIS WAS DUE TO A REAR AIR VENT LOCATED IN THE BACK BUMPER. WATER AND MOISTURE WAS PENETRAITING TO THE AMP. CHANGE THE AIR VENT AND THAT WILL RESOLVE THE PROBLEM:

Last edited by memoalkati; 05-30-19 at 09:01 AM. Reason: New Solution
HollyD (05-02-17)
Old 11-01-16, 08:02 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Warm up makes things to expand meaning circuit board may have cold solder joint some where or hair line cracked solder joint(s).
Old 11-08-16, 04:39 PM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Just stuff a dish towel under the amp and presto, problem solved. Haven't had an issue since and it has rained many times since my last post.

Quick Reply: No Sound after Rainy day