IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stinky smell after turning off AC

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 10:20 AM
20LS01
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinky smell after turning off AC

After turning off the AC, the smell coming from the vents last about 20 minutes and smells terrible. Im going to try spraying lysol through the outside vents..anyone have any other solutions that has worked well for them?

Its so bad that i would avoid using ac on a hot day just so i dont have to smell it.
Old 09-27-16, 01:17 PM
DVS
Driver

you need to change you Cabin filter
Old 09-27-16, 01:56 PM
20LS01
Driver

Originally Posted by DVS
you need to change you Cabin filter
that won't help..ive changed it before..got to hit the source of the smell.
Old 09-27-16, 02:36 PM
Isfsport11
Driver School Candidate

You need a cabin filter replacement. Also you can spray some type of fragrance spray or Lysol on the filter to circulate in the air ducts. I did that to my car and it smells ten times better.
Old 09-27-16, 03:03 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Could be more serious.

Originally Posted by 20LS01
After turning off the AC, the smell coming from the vents last about 20 minutes and smells terrible. Im going to try spraying lysol through the outside vents..anyone have any other solutions that has worked well for them?

Its so bad that i would avoid using ac on a hot day just so i don't have to smell it.
The problem can be in a few places. You said you changed your cabin filter and the smell persists. You could try to remove you cabin filter and turn on the AC full and spray lysol disinfectant into the cabin filter compartment. Change your vent settings while doing this to clean all vents.

It this doesn't help the problem may be mildew and mold on your A/C evaporator. It could be covered do to excess water not draining out your drain tube. Can you check to make sure your drain tube is draining water? If it is plugged you may need to get that fixed. I actually think their was a Recall on that but don't hold me to it.

If you determine that water is draining properly that still doesn't mean the evaporator isn't dirty or covered in mold and mildew. There may have been poor drainage in the past and the coils/fins became very wet and attracted dirt and debris. If it is the problem you will need to replace it to get rid of the stink. It is an expensive job.

But as always start with the vents and see that makes things better but for your health I would definitely check the evaporator since you don't want to be breathing in mold and mildew. The lysol will only mask it.
Old 09-27-16, 03:47 PM
20LS01
Driver

Thank you. I'll jack up the car and check out the drain pipe.

Originally Posted by Mrfix
The problem can be in a few places. You said you changed your cabin filter and the smell persists. You could try to remove you cabin filter and turn on the AC full and spray lysol disinfectant into the cabin filter compartment. Change your vent settings while doing this to clean all vents.

It this doesn't help the problem may be mildew and mold on your A/C evaporator. It could be covered do to excess water not draining out your drain tube. Can you check to make sure your drain tube is draining water? If it is plugged you may need to get that fixed. I actually think their was a Recall on that but don't hold me to it.

If you determine that water is draining properly that still doesn't mean the evaporator isn't dirty or covered in mold and mildew. There may have been poor drainage in the past and the coils/fins became very wet and attracted dirt and debris. If it is the problem you will need to replace it to get rid of the stink. It is an expensive job.

But as always start with the vents and see that makes things better but for your health I would definitely check the evaporator since you don't want to be breathing in mold and mildew. The lysol will only mask it.
Old 09-27-16, 04:47 PM
Isfsport11
Driver School Candidate

Also cleaning the interior and using a humidifier in the car could also get rid of any funky smell. It you have to locate the main issue like MrFix mention