IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

3IS F-Sport Steering Wheel on 2IS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 04:49 PM
RotterNZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3IS F-Sport Steering Wheel on 2IS?

Hey guys, first thread/post here. This forum is a great resource by the way. So is the 3IS steering wheel compatible with the 2IS?

Thanks
Old 09-23-16, 05:27 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Some of the buttons won't work, airbag won't be a plug and play thing most likely. Assuming it's anything like our 2IS steering wheels in the 1IS (http://my.is/forums/f90/isx50-steeri...it-diy-479993/), it'll be a little bit of work.

The 3RX RX350 F-Sport steering wheel may be a better choice TBH. All of the functions on it's steering wheel would, technically, coordinate with everything we have, only problem would be the airbag again. I've actually been thinking about picking one up and giving it a try, prices are a tad bit high though, and the airbag itself seems to be removed from most of the used ones (with the airbag itself selling for $300+)
Old 09-23-16, 06:59 PM
RotterNZ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Zmon. I've just gone ahead and purchased it anyway. Only $200 for a perfect condition wheel with red stitching (match my matador red IS). If it's too much of a hassle to get it fitted I'll sell it on.
Old 09-23-16, 10:46 PM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by RotterNZ
Thanks Zmon. I've just gone ahead and purchased it anyway. Only $200 for a perfect condition wheel with red stitching (match my matador red IS). If it's too much of a hassle to get it fitted I'll sell it on.
Good luck, $200 is a deal. Post up your progress with it.
Old 10-09-16, 09:31 PM
RotterNZ
Driver School Candidate

Zmon you in?

A little update. Received the '14-'16 F Sport wheel and it's damn near perfect but as I was forewarned it's not entirely compatible. The wheel itself fits along with the airbag but it's the two switch/button units either side that are different in shape. Also the two locating pins at the rear of both those two units are a different layout. So as far as I know what I'd need is the two button components, airbag cover and silver piece (basically the remaining parts that I did not receive). So if anyone has these or knows where I can get a good deal on them I'd be really appreciative.

Here's a pic of the wheel I received and beneath it what I need to complete the setup.

Old 10-09-16, 10:28 PM
Zmon
Racer

Sometimes the switches pop up on eBay for fairly cheap, but I don't see any at the moment. TLS Auto Recycling has a pair though... @ $260.. https://www.tlsautorecycling.com/sea...50/176498.html

Are you trying to reuse your airbag, or did that steering wheel come with one? TBH, the steering wheel airbag w/ the cover is usually fairly expensive when I see them up on eBay, usually a good $2-300.
Old 10-10-16, 12:46 AM
RotterNZ
Driver School Candidate

Good find. Yeah was going to use my airbag. The covers can be found on aliexpress I believe. I'm just starting to think it may not be worth it with all the shipping and install costs. I'll keep an eye out for some deals though. There's no rush.
Old 10-10-16, 12:28 PM
RotterNZ
Driver School Candidate

Had a good search last night and came across this https://angotan.en.alibaba.com/produ...836.186.nqERaF

The minimum order states '100 pieces' but I got in contact and they seemed more than happy to just sell one. Waiting on the price but it's obviously going to be far cheaper than from an auto parts dealer.

Also found the airbag cover https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Airb...c-921c5b577d0f

So this is actually turning out to be easier than I thought.
Old 10-10-16, 12:43 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

So you think it can be done?Please keep us posted!
Old 10-30-16, 03:01 PM
RotterNZ
Driver School Candidate

An update. So I've received the control switch assembly and airbag cover from China. Both parts look great but it turns out I need the matching airbag assembly. I think I was a little naive thinking my one would be compatible with this wheel. So if anyone has an airbag they're willing to part with or know where I can pick one up for cheap that'd be greatly appreciated.

The wheel as it sits now:

Old 10-30-16, 04:21 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You will want to post a WTB in the 3IS sub-section.
Old 10-30-16, 04:26 PM
RotterNZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
You will want to post a WTB in the 3IS sub-section.
Thanks mate. Possibly a WTS too. I may just get rid of what I've got. I've also just asked a seller on eBay if he'd swap my new wheel for one of his 2IS DTM wheels.
Old 10-30-16, 06:54 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Very interesting project. Interested to see if the buttons on the 3IS steering wheel are programmable and will work with the 2IS electronics. Best of luck!
Old 10-30-16, 07:38 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you were going to do an aftermarket headunit in your 2is as well, you could just use a PAC SWC module to program everything pretty simply. At least my knowledge would leave to believe that.
Old 10-31-16, 10:53 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Viktimize
If you were going to do an aftermarket headunit in your 2is as well, you could just use a PAC SWC module to program everything pretty simply. At least my knowledge would leave to believe that.
Maybe, but who knows if the two units are identical enough to the point where you could do that. If they are different units entirely it would be very difficult.

Quick Reply: 3IS F-Sport Steering Wheel on 2IS?