IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replacing seat bottom

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 11:36 AM
asumtneer
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replacing seat bottom

Hello all. I just recently purchased a 2007 IS250 AWD. The car is nice, other than the drivers seat bottom is cut in 3 places. I have found a replacement seat bottom, but am wondering how difficult it is to pull the seat bottom off of the frame and reinstall. Anybody ever done this?

UPDATE: I installed the seat bottom with no issues. It only took about 45 minutes and was pretty straight forward. I did not take any pics worth sharing, but wanted to give some quick tips and some details for future reference.

*** 4-14mm bolts hold the seat in place. Remove the plastic covers over the bolts with a flat head screw driver and some patience, then remove the bolts.

*** I suggest having the seat back at about a 120 degree angle in order to carry it out through the rear door. I had mine at about a 100 degree and was able to get it out, but it was tight. Put it at that angle now.

*** There are 3 electrical plugs at the bottom of the seat (they are color coded) unplug those. Now you can pull the seat out of the car through the rear door.

***Lay the seat down on some cardboard or something to protect the leather while you work. I turned and flipped the seat several times trying to get different angles.

*** There will be 2 plastic trim pieces that wrap around the lower edge of the seat. These are held on by tiny Phillips head screws (5). You will have to remove the seat control ***** to access 2 of those screws. Do this by gently prying outward with a flat head screwdriver. Be careful as you do not want to break these pieces. Then unhook the electrical connectors and pull the control module out and set aside.

*** You will also need to remove the seat belt buckle which is held on by a 14mm nut.

*** There are 2 electrical connections that are attached to the seat bottom. Look at your new seat bottom to determine where they are then disconnect them. One is ran through a series of straps that come apart and reconnect quite easily.

*** On either side of the seat there are fabric straps that are held on by plastic buttons. You can maneuver the straps around the buttons just like the buttons on a shirt, or pull the buttons out using a flat head screwdriver.

*** There are 2 elastic straps underneath the seat that stretch out and hook on the to metal seat bottom. Remove these and note their locations.

***Now it's just a matter of unhooking the plastic clips around the bottom of the seat from the metal seat frame edge (you'll know when you see it). Note how they wrap under and snap in for when you reattach the new one.

***I may have missed some info on removing electrical connectors, but they are self explanatory when you get in there.

REINSTALL TIP: When you begin hooking the seat back into the metal seat frame begin at the front edge of the seat as this is the most difficult to wrap under and connect. Other than that, this is a pretty simple procedure.

Take your time and make notes of where things were so you know where they'll go back.

Last edited by asumtneer; 09-18-16 at 06:01 AM. Reason: updated install details
Old 09-06-16, 04:22 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

also interested in this
Old 09-12-16, 07:15 AM
asumtneer
7th Gear

I'm going to use this to help. The seat bottom is on it's way. I'll report back when I attempt this.
Old 09-16-16, 05:39 PM
asumtneer
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Nespo2330
also interested in this
I performed the seat bottom swap this evening. Start to finish took about 45 minutes. I took my time removing the old cushion and took pictures for reference upon reinstall. I pulled the seat out of the car and put it back in by myself without incident. The only tools I needed were a philips screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, and a 14mm socket and ratchet. This is not a difficult job at all. Just take your time and keep up with what parts/screws/wires/clips go where.
Old 09-16-16, 10:51 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by asumtneer
I performed the seat bottom swap this evening. Start to finish took about 45 minutes. I took my time removing the old cushion and took pictures for reference upon reinstall. I pulled the seat out of the car and put it back in by myself without incident. The only tools I needed were a philips screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, and a 14mm socket and ratchet. This is not a difficult job at all. Just take your time and keep up with what parts/screws/wires/clips go where.
any pictures?
Old 09-17-16, 10:09 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

where did you get the replacement from?
Old 09-18-16, 05:35 AM
asumtneer
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Nespo2330
where did you get the replacement from?
Ebay. $120 shipped and in very good condition. I'll try and put together some install notes here shortly.
Old 09-18-16, 10:02 AM
asumtneer
7th Gear

Updated original post