IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The lazy man's smart phone dock mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 10:49 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The lazy man's smart phone dock mod

OK, I called it the lazy man's smart phone mod because I was too lazy to figure out how to remove the center armrest console box to run the charging wire under it up to my ashtray.
So..... I used my soldering gun to melt some holes in my console to the shifter tunnel and up to the ashtray.
here are some pictures.
1.First I removed the trim and shifter console.Pics 1 - 2
2.Then melted a hole thru the cup holder walls and then melted a small hole in the bottom corner in the bottom corner of the console box, the orange tool shows the location. Pics 3 - 4
3. Next I melted and hole at the bottom of the ashtray holder, and then a hole in the bottom corner of the ashtray itself. pics 5 - 6
4, Then fed the wire from the armrest console to the ashtray, reassembled the console covers and its complete.
Attached Thumbnails The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1198.jpg   The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1202.jpg   The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1204.jpg   The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1205.jpg   The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1207.jpg  

The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1210.jpg   The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1214.jpg   The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1215.jpg   The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1218.jpg   The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1221.jpg  

Last edited by Koolsport; 08-26-16 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add some text
Old 08-26-16, 11:05 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lazy man's phone dock

I then installed a MPOW magnetic CD mounted phone holder in the CD slot, where I attach my i phone. The wire comes right up from the ashtray to chagre when I need to and still sit on the phone mount.
I don't need constant access to the cd player cause its preloaded with6 cd's and usually listen to music with my iphone music list, thru bluetooth.
Also if I want I can always remove the phone mount to load more cd's, but I hardly listen to cd's anymore, if ever.
The wire is hidden, except for inside my console, but the wire is covered with whatever I store in there anyway..and no one ever sees it.
I used my soldering gun to melt the holes thru the plastic, it cuts thru plastic like butter.
So there you have it, the lazy mans phone charging dock,.
Took me about 40 minutes, easy job.
Attached Thumbnails The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-img_1221.jpg   The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-dsc00228.jpg   The lazy man's smart phone dock mod-dsc00230.jpg