IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Timing chain cover gasket leak and tranny service

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 12:51 PM
Buya02
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Timing chain cover gasket leak and tranny service

Ok guys I feel the need to post my experience so I can help others.

I own (2) Lexus is350 with about 110k each. I bought them with 50k private owners. I take my car to the dealer only for recalls/warranty issues.

The issue I had was with my wife's Lexus. Since we owned it we have done oil changes, tires, battery/alternator (1.5years ago), filters, spark plugs at 100k, and the power locks went out a few years ago so we had to change the motor.

4 months ago I did a tranny service, water pump, and basic service. I noticed a lot of oil leaking for a few months. I thought I fixed the issue replacing washers etc etc but no luck.

Turns out the timing chain cover gasket was leaking. My mechanic of 13 years said for me he would do it for $1500. I called around and everyone was about $2000.

I wrote a letter explaining to Lexus my situation. They said I had to take it to a Lexus dealer period end of story. I met a nice service rep at Lexus of westminister who inspected my vehicle for free. He basically quoted me $4000-4500 to fix this gasket (wow, my cars worth like 11k, and I can buy a used motor for like $4k).

Anyways he was great and contacted Lexus on my behalf since I had a case with them. They paid for everything except $900 (usually they only pay 50% if that). Keep in mind they consider how many cars you have, miles, service record, etc. they did a one time out of warranty compensation. I happily agreed and they did the service. The dealer also recommended the filters, tires, tranny flush, and differential flush. I passed on everything else. I also had a seized right rear caliper which there is a recall for in 2011, however they would not honor that anymore since it's too old. I didn't push the issue.

I went to my mechanic after I got my car back and he completed the differential flush. The car used to shift rough, almost jerky, and would down shift from 2-1 rough, since the flush it feels normal. I used to be against the tranny service (based on what i read on the forum), but money well worth it. Dealer was going to charge $250 for both flushes FYI. My mechanic also freed the seized pin and cleaned it up/greased it and put new pads.

All in all I spent $1100 and the car is finally like it is supposed to be, although the 1.5 yr old battery went out two days later which I just swapped out (under warranty), I wonder if the dealer killed it?

Lexus really took care of me and I appreciate it. Worse case scenario if my engine was warped or damaged and oil continued leaking the motor would need to be replaced because the gasket will never sit right (yikes!)

For those of you thinking about the tranny flush find a mechanic who has the high power flush tool and make sure they do the differential as well. Get the strainer, new tranny pan gasket, and there is a rubber gasket that needs replacing where they put the oil in as well. I would say every 100k. Also if you have a timing chain cover gasket leak contact Lexus. There is no way you can justify paying $4000k?! Hope this helps someone.
Old 07-27-16, 01:09 PM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow
glad to hear that lexus actually pays for the most of the repair with you visiting only with warranty/recall items
Old 07-28-16, 09:04 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Just ticked over to 100k miles the other week. I have to seriously consider doing a DIY trickle "flush" or a dealership flush soon. No issues with my trans to speak of; but it's best to be proactive since I plan to have this thing for a while!
Old 07-28-16, 11:52 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Love Lexus and their great service. Will only buy Lexus.
Old 12-06-16, 11:26 AM
tucker15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like the timing cover gasket leak on the Lexus with the 350 engine is a common problem and a costly fix to say the least. Fixing it seems to cost about $2500/3000 and if you don't fix it how can you get rid of the car especially when you have a dashboard recall and have been waiting 9 months for a replacement and still no replacement in sight? So much for owning a Lexus!!
Old 12-07-16, 05:42 PM
Gville350

I'd not call it common; still a rare issue when compared to the water pump. Yes, it is costly. Where in SC are you? I got my dash replaced at Lexus of Greenville earlier this year; but still waiting on the four door panels.
Old 12-12-16, 06:57 AM
tucker15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Mt. Pleasant,SC. All I get is the run around re the dashboard. The local dealer installed a new water pump about 6 moths ago and soon after I noticed "the oil leak" I took it to a local concern specializing in Lexus repairs and they told me the leak was from one of the bolts holding the water pump. So they gave me a copy of the diagnosis which I brought to the dealer. He disagreed and said it was the timing case gasket. I just took my car back to the local guy to have an oil change and he said he was going to fix the bolt situation. If he is correct that means my local dealer was trying to hose me for a $2500/3000 fix. If it is indeed the bolt I'm going after the dealer big time. Guess I'll never get a dashboard then!!
Old 12-12-16, 05:32 PM
Gville350

Let us know is the leak goes away after they get their hands on it.

Good luck on the dashboard.