IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Instrument cluster noise on start up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 07:52 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the noise will return in time, just live with it, i bet you it's something came lose in there dealer don't replace brand new cluster they cleans up and tighten up some screws in there. Rewind or forward the mile on your cluster isn't hard for dealer and illegal.

i don't know why the person above said dealer rewind his ODO it's the against the law in some states and province of Canada, what they allow to do is, replace the board chip computer from one to another and should keep the same Mile on the car. 300 miles isn't a big deal but what i'm trying to say is. rewind the mileage on your car is illegal !
Old 07-10-16, 11:12 AM
furryjet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that problem years ago, it's some kind of grinding noise when the needles swipe.

Back then I still have warranty so I just record start up every time and finally caught it on video. Dealer then replaced it under warranty, and of course my odometer mileage went back to zero, felt like I got a new car.
Old 07-13-16, 09:27 AM
Bkhectic
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by furryjet
I had that problem years ago, it's some kind of grinding noise when the needles swipe.

Back then I still have warranty so I just record start up every time and finally caught it on video. Dealer then replaced it under warranty, and of course my odometer mileage went back to zero, felt like I got a new car.
I only have trans warranty at the time so it's all on my back. So yes that's exactly my issue speedometer neddle doing making the noise. It's just noise there really isn't any issues. I spoke to a guy in lexus and he said love with it what are you gonna do replace a 2k cluster? Lol but I'm still looking for a way to find a fix for this. I'll post a videout as soon as I get a chance.
Old 07-13-16, 10:12 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bkhectic
I only have trans warranty at the time so it's all on my back. So yes that's exactly my issue speedometer neddle doing making the noise. It's just noise there really isn't any issues. I spoke to a guy in lexus and he said love with it what are you gonna do replace a 2k cluster? Lol but I'm still looking for a way to find a fix for this. I'll post a videout as soon as I get a chance.
you can buy one on ebay for $200 give or take. The milage only has to be over the last time you went to DMV/inspection. No one will ever be able to tell if or when you sell the car. Personally im just going to live with the noise. I only plan on keeping the car a couple more years.

But if you find a fix let us know. Its not hard to take out the cluster. Im sure u can take it apart and see what drives those needles. Probably some kind of plastic gear cluster thats causing the noise.
Old 07-14-16, 07:41 AM
Bkhectic
Driver

Originally Posted by flektone
you can buy one on ebay for $200 give or take. The milage only has to be over the last time you went to DMV/inspection. No one will ever be able to tell if or when you sell the car. Personally im just going to live with the noise. I only plan on keeping the car a couple more years.

But if you find a fix let us know. Its not hard to take out the cluster. Im sure u can take it apart and see what drives those needles. Probably some kind of plastic gear cluster thats causing the noise.
We'll it's not so bad I won't need a whole new cluster just for that Lil issue. But of course it's just anoting hearing it. Nothing is broken so you how it is. Don't fix what isn't broken
Old 07-14-16, 10:03 AM
5nX37
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I get the same issue here too. It's like little plastic gears grinding when the needles on the speedo swipe. I just ignore it for the most part.. But do let us know if u find a fix for it..

On a side note, anyone know if an '06 gauge cluster is interchangeable with the '11 or the ones with metal bezels? I can't stand the plastic bezel surrounds on my current one..
Old 08-25-16, 09:00 PM
Bkhectic
Driver

Update. The noise just went away about 1 month ago. Will it come back? I hope not but so far it's back to normal.