IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any updates on IS airbag recall???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 06:37 PM
AARONHL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any updates on IS airbag recall???

2006 IS250
Safety Recalls:
Title
Safety Recall GLH (Interim G2H) - Interim Notice Multiple Models and Model Years Front Passenger Airbag Inflator (Zone B)

Status
Remedy Not Available

Description
The subject vehicles are equipped with front passenger airbag inflators produced by Takata. According to Takata, the propellant in these inflators may degrade after prolonged exposure to high absolute humidity and fluctuating high temperatures. Degraded propellant can cause inflator rupture during airbag deployment. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material, striking the vehicle occupants, and result in serious injury or death.

Remedy
Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this condition and will provide additional information as it becomes available. The remedy, when available, will consist of the replacement of the airbag inflator or the airbag assembly, depending on the vehicle model.

Recall Date
May 23, 2016

Dealer Reference ID
G2H

NHTSA Recall ID
AWAITING#
Old 06-30-16, 08:45 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Couple million recall include Toyota so Lexus will not have parts for a long time
Old 07-01-16, 02:52 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Also, the recall is being staged in geographic bands, with the more humid regions in the south addressed first.
Old 07-01-16, 06:12 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As of a dealer here in NJ. Bags wont be in til sept. and theres no remedy on how to fix them yet. I would assume the dash needs to be removed, correct?
Old 07-01-16, 07:26 AM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
As of a dealer here in NJ. Bags wont be in til sept. and theres no remedy on how to fix them yet. I would assume the dash needs to be removed, correct?
I would think so unless they can somehow reach it from underneath the glove box. I'm really not confident in my dealership since I just got a new dash. I am almost certain they'll scratch it..
Old 07-01-16, 08:23 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

That's why I never want to be the first kid on the block to get a recall done. Let the technicians get some practice with someone else's car before they do mine.
Old 07-01-16, 01:28 PM
AARONHL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info guys
Hopefully it's not as bad as the recent Honda/Acura recall
Old 07-02-16, 07:12 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent gotten a notice, just a call from the dealer. What exactly is the recall about? I would consider not getting it done. But would I liable if I sell the car and something were to happen involving that air bag?
Old 07-02-16, 10:29 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
I havent gotten a notice, just a call from the dealer. What exactly is the recall about? I would consider not getting it done. But would I liable if I sell the car and something were to happen involving that air bag?
Recalls are mandatory as far as I know. For example when I had my cars registration done in May, the DMV required proof that the recall was completed before allowing me to register.
Old 07-02-16, 10:31 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

I hate knowing that this recall won't be available for another year or so... But hey at least my airbags probably don't work anyway thanks to that stupid airbag light that came on last month.. Yay??
Old 07-02-16, 11:08 AM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like they said on the news STOP DRIVING YOUR LEXUS AND TOYOTAS lol
Old 07-02-16, 11:11 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I'm gonna leave this link here. You guys should all really file a complaint with the NHTSA so they can look into this and have Lexus fix our airbags. This issues is too dangerous to be ignored and there are several of us with the issue. I just filed my complaint and it only took about 8 minutes. Please, if you have the issue, take some time and fill this out. It will go a long way in getting this repaired.
Old 07-02-16, 12:22 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

NHTSA already looked into this; they are the ones that came up with the timetable for repair based on age of vehicle and the amount of humidity is the area where the car is driven. It's right on their site: http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/safercar/rs/ta...explainer.html

From their FAQ:

NHTSA is prioritizing Takata air bag repairs to ensure that vehicles with air bags that pose a higher threat to safety are fixed first while simultaneously working to ensure that parts are available to repair every affected vehicle as quickly as possible.

Based on testing, field experience, and research, older inflators in vehicles that have experienced prolonged exposure to hot and humid conditions pose a much greater risk of rupturing. Accordingly, NHTSA has ordered manufacturers to replace inflators in older vehicles that are most likely to have been exposed to hot and humid conditions first. Additional factors, such as whether the inflator is in a driver or passenger side air bag, factor into how your vehicle's repair has been prioritized.

Regardless of these circumstances, every defective air bag inflator must be—and will be—replaced. We ask for your understanding while the air bags that pose a higher risk to their vehicle's drivers and occupants are replaced first.
Old 07-15-16, 01:28 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

How does this recall and lack of a fix impact the ability to sell/register your car? How about re-sale values?
Old 07-15-16, 03:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

A thread has already been started on this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...250-350-a.html

This is a serious issue and we should only have ONE thread to follow it!

Bichon - Please merge these two threads.

Lou

Quick Reply: Any updates on IS airbag recall???