IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Push To Start Not Working At All

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-16, 05:54 PM
Dave1931
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push To Start Not Working At All

My 2006 IS250 will not start or even allow me to get into accessory mode. I can unlock the doors with my key thob but once I get in the car I can't start it. I can cut on my headlights and interior lights but the car just won't start. When I press in the brake the push to start light doesn't come on and I can't move it out of park. I've tried jumping the battery which has been replaced in the last year and cleaning the terminals. I also took out the whole battery and looked at the ground terminal connecting the negative cable to the car which didn't seem to be the issue and I tried my spare key thob with no luck. I don't know if makes a difference but the red security light just keeps beeping even once I unlock the doors and I'm not able to set the alarm off like normal if I lock the doors from the inside and then open the door. Any body have this issue before? Is there some safety mode I'm in or something?
Old 06-23-16, 06:31 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

I can offer only a few things to get you started.

First, make sure the remotes don't have dead batteries. Toyota recommends replacing every two years, I believe.

Even though the lights turn on, there may not be enough juice to turn over the engine. Replace the battery with one that works or borrow a load tester.

If it passes, check for blown fuses; look at ignition and starter fuses first. (You can do this first.)

Find out if there is power going to the starter and solenoid. You can test by running power directly to the solenoid to see if it engages. If it doesn't, run wire to starter. If starter spins, then the solenoid or something between there and the ignition is shorted. Use nothing less than 6-gauge wire to power the starter.

Beyond this, you are looking at a busted ignition switch, or engine computer, or ??.

Rule out these relatively simple things first.
Old 06-23-16, 07:06 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Don't forget about brake switch failure as well. I have hard time to start my car due to bad brake switch. Check brake fuse as well. In other hand, Lexus security doesn't lock the ECU to prevent theft as well. To unlock the ECU you have to use mechanical key to open the car. Check your linksible fuse as well.
Old 06-23-16, 08:44 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I helped my friend IS 250 before, the lock and unlock, headlights are on, but when i push the start button there is no light in the cluster are on, after spend ten mins to check all the fuses and finally found one fuse is second ignition fuse in the small fuse box over the battery side is in the front of the battery, that fuse was blow, did you check that fuse box yet? The fuse is 20a hope it is the solution
Old 06-23-16, 08:44 PM
Dave1931
Driver School Candidate

I read somewhere on this forum that someone had a problem identical to this and it was related to corrosion between the ground and the chassis somewhere in the engine bay under the fuse box. Is there a specific set of ground points that I would be able to check or is this something that I would need to take it to the dealer to get taken care of?
Old 06-23-16, 08:48 PM
Dave1931
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ohiois350
I helped my friend IS 250 before, the lock and unlock, headlights are on, but when i push the start button there is no light in the cluster are on, after spend ten mins to check all the fuses and finally found one fuse is second ignition fuse in the small fuse box over the battery side is in the front of the battery, that fuse was blow, did you check that fuse box yet? The fuse is 20a hope it is the solution

I think I checked all of the fuses, I don't remember which ones specifically but I checked all of the ones that said anything about IGN, ACC, or Push to Start and everything seemed to be normal.
Old 06-23-16, 08:48 PM
Dave1931
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Don't forget about brake switch failure as well. I have hard time to start my car due to bad brake switch. Check brake fuse as well. In other hand, Lexus security doesn't lock the ECU to prevent theft as well. To unlock the ECU you have to use mechanical key to open the car. Check your linksible fuse as well.

How do I check the brake switch?
Old 06-23-16, 08:50 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dave1931
I think I checked all of the fuses, I don't remember which ones specifically but I checked all of the ones that said anything about IGN, ACC, or Push to Start and everything seemed to be normal.
When you push the button, is the ACC or all the lights in cluster are on?
Old 06-23-16, 09:27 PM
Dave1931
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ohiois350
When you push the button, is the ACC or all the lights in cluster are on?
When I push the button nothing happens at all, the ACC doesn't come on nor do any of the lights in the cluster. The only light that will come on in the cluster is the open door light when I have the door open.
Old 06-23-16, 09:32 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

I read somewhere on this forum that someone had a problem identical to this and it was related to corrosion between the ground and the chassis somewhere in the engine bay under the fuse box. Is there a specific set of ground points that I would be able to check or is this something that I would need to take it to the dealer to get taken care of?
Follow the negative leads from the ground cable at the battery. Unbolt from the chassis (probably 10mm) and use a wire brush or 120 grit sandpaper to clean the chassis and ring connector points. Liberally apply dielectric grease to expose metal to prevent rust. There should be at least two cables at the negative battery post. The big one goes to the engine block or trany, usually near the starter; the smaller ground wire will go to the body. A third wire will connect from the engine/trany to the body or chassis.
Old 06-24-16, 12:14 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Remove the shifter bypass cover and press down the bypass itself. Shift through the gears coming to rest back at PARK. Attempt to start again.

Once you hit the brake pedal, does the green light on the start/stop button illuminate?
Old 06-24-16, 12:34 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Would it start with your keyfob right against the push-to-start button?
Old 06-24-16, 02:52 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May sound stupid but did you check your alternator? Mine crapped out earlier this month and I experienced similar symptoms
Old 06-25-16, 04:44 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

When I push the button nothing happens at all, the ACC doesn't come on nor do any of the lights in the cluster. The only light that will come on in the cluster is the open door light when I have the door open.
That look like IGN 2 fuse blow though, it is happen with my friend 09" IS, and that fuse is in the fuse box right in the front of battery and it is 20A fuse, have you check that side? It is not in the driverside fuse box though
Old 06-25-16, 09:03 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

There is another IGN location under steering wheel colum. Make sure check all the fuse. Driver, passenger, anger in engine bay

Quick Reply: Push To Start Not Working At All