IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Push To Start Not Working At All

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 06:28 AM
Dave1931
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left it parked overnight and when I came back in the morning to troubleshoot some more and decided to give it a try first and the button illuminated. I hit the button and it started to turn over but didn't go all the way and then I tried again and it started. Not really sure what's going on so I haven't driven it since. I checked all of the fuses, is there a way I can check to see if it's the alternator?
Old 06-26-16, 05:05 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InspireME
Would it start with your keyfob right against the push-to-start button?
Try this. Happened to me before. If you can start the car with the key fob right against the button then you need to replace the battery in the fob.
Old 06-29-16, 03:25 PM
Dave1931
Driver School Candidate

The problems continue ... I let my car sit for a few days since i was able to get it home and I didn't want to risk driving it and it crapping out on me. Now when I go to start the car it starts but struggles to idle and then eventually dies within 20 seconds. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I'm pretty sure it's all related to the same thing. Could my ECU be dead or could it be from water somehow getting into the engine bay?
Old 06-29-16, 08:00 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave1931
The problems continue ... I let my car sit for a few days since i was able to get it home and I didn't want to risk driving it and it crapping out on me. Now when I go to start the car it starts but struggles to idle and then eventually dies within 20 seconds. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I'm pretty sure it's all related to the same thing. Could my ECU be dead or could it be from water somehow getting into the engine bay?
U still havn't check the ground under the fuse box ? also try with the new battery.
Old 06-29-16, 08:53 PM
Black35007
Driver School Candidate

Had the same issue and it ended up being the start button. Would press the start button get the green light, then the gauges would light up for like 2 seconds hear it crank and then go dark and the car just wouldn't start. It's weird because I would immediately press the start button again and it would start fine. My car is cpo so didn't cost anything This was about a year ago and never had a problem again.....
Old 06-30-16, 05:40 AM
Dave1931
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RandyIS250
U still havn't check the ground under the fuse box ? also try with the new battery.

I took a battery out and took it to advanced auto parts for a check, they said the battery appeared to be charged and working properly. I would like to check the ground under the fuse box but I'm not sure how to get to it, do I need to remove the whole fuse box? Is there a tutorial on here somewhere? I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to car work.
Old 06-30-16, 02:42 PM
Dave1931
Driver School Candidate

Finally gave in and had it towed to the shop this morning. I just got a call about an hour ago stating that they hadn't figured out what was going on yet but it seemed as if only half of the cars computer modules were working with one another and that they would search for more info tomorrow. Not really sure if this is good news or bad news, I'm guessing bad because it still won't start, nevertheless I will update the thread as I receive more info to help out others who may run into the same problem.
Old 06-30-16, 07:30 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Finally gave in and had it towed to the shop this morning. I just got a call about an hour ago stating that they hadn't figured out what was going on yet but it seemed as if only half of the cars computer modules were working with one another and that they would search for more info tomorrow. Not really sure if this is good news or bad news, I'm guessing bad because it still won't start, nevertheless I will update the thread as I receive more info to help out others who may run into the same problem.
hope the ECU is not burnt, if so tell them to buy from scrap yard for cheap.
Old 07-01-16, 08:20 AM
Dave1931
Driver School Candidate

So I got a call back from the shop and apparently they believe it's something called a "convenience module" and they're telling me they can't fix it so I have to take it to a Lexus or Toyota dealership because it has to do with a theft systems part or something. I can't really find much info on the part online and I'm not too happy to have to be taking it to the dealership. Anyone heard of this before?
Old 07-01-16, 08:58 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

So I got a call back from the shop and apparently they believe it's something called a "convenience module" and they're telling me they can't fix it so I have to take it to a Lexus or Toyota dealership because it has to do with a theft systems part or something. I can't really find much info on the part online and I'm not too happy to have to be taking it to the dealership. Anyone heard of this before?
Bring it to another shop, i'm not good at Electrical but that shop sounds weird. i'm currently have AIR BAG warning light ON my dash, when it comes to Air Bag you are looking at 2-3k $ easy. i always try my way 1st before i bring to friend and then to Shop if friend gives up.
Old 03-11-20, 08:23 AM
Mycka4
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,
I have LexusIS250 2006. I had same problem (can not start any ignition with start/stop button). I had give my car to auto repair shop and their electical guy go thought all electrical wires. In the end found problem in Power Steering control unit which is located under car battery. All connection was covered with oxyd and dust and when the electrician moved this box the car immediately started up. He cleaned all wires and connection to this unit. Soldered microcircuits in the box (because there are 2 microcircuits one over other and can't get to the bottom microcircuit) and clean all because was covered with oxyd dust too). When he put everything together, the car started to start without any problems. This work takes about week including finding the problem place. And cost me 250 euro.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mycka4:
GrizzlyMan (03-21-21), Saeed971 (11-09-20)
Old 04-25-20, 09:48 AM
Irvinepmh
Driver School Candidate

So you found the issue?0
Old 04-25-20, 09:19 PM
Mycka4
Driver School Candidate

Yes, from that time i don't have any problem with starting my car.
The following users liked this post:
Irvinepmh (04-25-20)
Old 11-09-20, 03:36 AM
Saeed971
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS 300 will not start. No acc and the cluster will not come on

Originally Posted by Mycka4
Hi all,
I have LexusIS250 2006. I had same problem (can not start any ignition with start/stop button). I had give my car to auto repair shop and their electical guy go thought all electrical wires. In the end found problem in Power Steering control unit which is located under car battery. All connection was covered with oxyd and dust and when the electrician moved this box the car immediately started up. He cleaned all wires and connection to this unit. Soldered microcircuits in the box (because there are 2 microcircuits one over other and can't get to the bottom microcircuit) and clean all because was covered with oxyd dust too). When he put everything together, the car started to start without any problems. This work takes about week including finding the problem place. And cost me 250 euro.
I have a GS 300 2007. It won't start and the same symptoms as mentioned here. I will attempt to do what was prescribed here and give you my feedback.

😊 🙏
Jmeri310 (10-06-23)
Old 11-09-20, 06:03 AM
Mycka4
Driver School Candidate

After renewing Power Steering control during one month I didn't have problems with start/stop, but in one good morning i can't start my car again. Then i go to Lexus center and they tell me that need change "control Unit LEXUS IS II 89670-53010 101238-0081 ECU". I bought used from ebay. After this i don't have problem with start/stop anymore.
GrizzlyMan (03-21-21)

Quick Reply: Push To Start Not Working At All