IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlamp upgrade

Old 06-22-16, 10:56 AM
kaydeonne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp upgrade

I'm sure there is already a thread about this, but I could not find it - newbie trying to tackle this forum =P.
So the guy I bought my car from has a set of the 2012 OEM plug and play upgraded headlights, on ebay. They are $2,100.00. He offered to sell them to me for $1,300.00 but since I just bought the car, I would like to wait on spending that kind of money for a while.
There are other brands for a few hundred dollars but they do not look as good and I am not sure of the quality.

What is the best way to go?

Kayla
Old 06-22-16, 11:28 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Was it jay?
Lol btw, oem way better than the ebay ones

Last edited by metaleckz; 06-22-16 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 11:59 AM
kaydeonne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Was it james?
Lol btw, oem way better than the ebay ones
The guy who sold me the car? His name was Jay
Oem from Lexus? Can they upgrade for me?
Old 06-22-16, 12:11 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I bought a pair of blacked out ebay headlights with led strip and a quite happy with it for looks but in terms of brightness it'd be worth it to get the OEM ones
Old 06-22-16, 12:30 PM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM hands down. I bought mine for 1.3k and they are the best money I've spent on this car. They are way better in both quality and reliability. There's only people who regret getting the ebay ones, never have I seen people regret getting the OEM ones. They are worth every penny
Old 06-22-16, 01:20 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Coming from one whos had oem. Im going ebay this time around. Ill used the extra 1000 dollars on other things i want to get done to the car. It depends on your goals and priorities.

Heres a thread on the ebay ones, if you go ebay get the vipmotoz as they give you a 1 year warranty

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/806382-ebay-vipmotoz-led-headlights.html
Old 06-22-16, 02:31 PM
kaydeonne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjc250
OEM hands down. I bought mine for 1.3k and they are the best money I've spent on this car. They are way better in both quality and reliability. There's only people who regret getting the ebay ones, never have I seen people regret getting the OEM ones. They are worth every penny
Very true!
Old 06-22-16, 02:32 PM
kaydeonne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeyK02
Coming from one whos had oem. Im going ebay this time around. Ill used the extra 1000 dollars on other things i want to get done to the car. It depends on your goals and priorities.

Heres a thread on the ebay ones, if you go ebay get the vipmotoz as they give you a 1 year warranty

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eadlights.html
Good to know! I'll definitely check them out!
Old 06-22-16, 03:13 PM
kaydeonne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjc250
That's what I was thinking, better to spend money on quality then get something cheaper for bad quality
Old 06-22-16, 03:14 PM
kaydeonne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aspect
I bought a pair of blacked out ebay headlights with led strip and a quite happy with it for looks but in terms of brightness it'd be worth it to get the OEM ones
OEM might be the way to go
Old 06-25-16, 06:18 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

I got the Ebay ones,

To be completely unbiased, The OEM ones definitely look better aesthetically, in terms of the headlight shape, structure, and of course the LED light. If you have the money for it, then this is definitely the better choice.

The ebay one is more choppy, meaning you can see the individual LED lights compared to OEM where its a flush sleek line.

The LENS it self, I would say is much better than OEM. The reason I switched Headlights was because my older lens were foggy and not as clear at night. After swtiching over, I can say that the cutoff and clarity is comparable to TSX and STi lens, OBVIOUSLY not in the same league but definitely a contender.

For me I only care about functionality, the LED strip to me is a bonus, but the Ebay headlights paired with a decent HID kit (I have morimoto XB Elite) and it pretty much lights the roads up. Even driving with no street lamps I can see as clear as day.

Hence why I went with the Ebay over OEM. I figured the money could be spent elsewhere.
Old 06-25-16, 11:26 AM
kaydeonne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Icy350
I got the Ebay ones,

To be completely unbiased, The OEM ones definitely look better aesthetically, in terms of the headlight shape, structure, and of course the LED light. If you have the money for it, then this is definitely the better choice.

The ebay one is more choppy, meaning you can see the individual LED lights compared to OEM where its a flush sleek line.

The LENS it self, I would say is much better than OEM. The reason I switched Headlights was because my older lens were foggy and not as clear at night. After swtiching over, I can say that the cutoff and clarity is comparable to TSX and STi lens, OBVIOUSLY not in the same league but definitely a contender.

For me I only care about functionality, the LED strip to me is a bonus, but the Ebay headlights paired with a decent HID kit (I have morimoto XB Elite) and it pretty much lights the roads up. Even driving with no street lamps I can see as clear as day.

Hence why I went with the Ebay over OEM. I figured the money could be spent elsewhere.
I got some decisions to make. Both sound like good options. Is there a certain ebay pair that are better than the rest?
Old 06-25-16, 11:33 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

I chose VIPmotoz, many members here choose them as well as they offer 3 month warranty and they know Clublexus very well. Ask for Louis
Old 06-25-16, 01:38 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I chose VIPmotoz, many members here choose them as well as they offer 3 month warranty and they know Clublexus very well. Ask for Louis
They recently changed it to a 1 year warranty. Which sealed the deal for me
Old 06-25-16, 02:55 PM
kaydeonne
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlamp upgrade