IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replacing Stock Rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 07:18 AM
dbalkaran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Stock Rims

So a little background on me first. I bought a pre-owned 2006 IS250 AWD back in November of last year. Car had like 39,000 miles on it and was cosmetically in very good condition. So far I'm loving it, but the rims have some serious curb rash on them...mainly from me. I was coming from a 2012 Nissan Xterra and those tires had huge sidewalls so curb rash was never a thing. Where I live there are plenty of pot holes and rough roads, but I guess I never noticed how easily rims can get messed up because the tires on my Xterra had always protected them.

I called a Lexus dealer to find out how much the rims are...$715 a piece. No way in hell I'm dropping $2,860 on rims for the car when the entire vehicle cost me like $16,000. I commute over 130 miles a day so this is very much a daily driver and while I want it to look good it gets driven a lot and the odds of something happening to the rims are high, so I don't want to be stuck paying almost $1,000 per rim if anything happens again. So here are my questions...

1. Is that a reasonable price for rims from Lexus? $715 seems way high.

2. I'm considering getting some rims from Axis Sport...has anyone heard of this company and if so are they decent rims?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...utoModClar=AWD

3. I've seen replica wheels selling for way less than $715 what are people's thoughts on those?

http://www.carid.com/2006-lexus-is-f...-70259668.html
Old 06-22-16, 07:36 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Why not get the wheels refinished rather than getting a brand new or replica? If it's just curb rash, a shop should be able to fix and repaint it for about 100-150 a wheel. Unless the rims are bent and/or cracked from the pot holes you've hit already?
Old 06-22-16, 07:59 AM
dbalkaran
Driver School Candidate

I hadn't really thought about refinishing to be honest. I wasn't sure if they would look like new after that. I'll try to take some pictures later today, but the curb rash on the left side isn't too bad, the damage on the right side is what I would consider pretty bad. No cracks or bends though.

I guess I could get the two driver side rims refinished and worst case scenario only have to buy rims for the right side. Even two though would cost more than the new Axis rims and new Hankook tires for all 4 wheels.
Old 06-22-16, 09:43 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'd check craigslist.When I needed wheels for snow tires, I found a set of completely straight oem GS 17s in perfect shape for $100. Then when I bent a wheel on my summer tires, I got a set of OEM polished aluminum wheels from a GS400 17X8 5 spokes with curb rash on one wheel for $175. You just need to keep your eyes open and be sure the wheels are straight.
Old 06-22-16, 12:27 PM
beg4mercee
Driver School Candidate

Honestly I wouldnt spend that much on factory rims. You can get other brand rims that look better and would be cheaper. Depending where you look you can get rims and tires for like $1000-1500. Check ebay, craigslist or even a custom shop in your area.
Old 06-23-16, 06:43 AM
dbalkaran
Driver School Candidate

I actually like the look of the stock rims and would rather not replace them. I called a place that does rim refinishing and they said it would be $125 per wheel to refinish them so I think that's my best bet. I'm just hoping my rims aren't so bad they need to be replaced.

Old 06-23-16, 08:02 AM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely don't think that much of a curb rash would require a wheel replacement. If you really want to, you could probably repair that yourself with a little bit of time.
Old 06-23-16, 09:16 AM
Metaxa07
Driver School Candidate

The curb rash is pretty mild. If you like the original wheels, have them refinished. Just dont forget to ask if they will take of the tire and remount it- and if that is included in the price.
Old 06-23-16, 09:24 AM
dbalkaran
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I'll make sure to ask about that.
Old 06-23-16, 03:02 PM
Metaxa07
Driver School Candidate

no prob. good luck.
Old 06-23-16, 10:27 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

unless you get it powder coated, i don't think the finish will last long if you'd go with refinish.

in my position, i wouldn't refinish! it will never be like OEM. I would rather spend the money on USED OEM finish take-offs instead...

or get this set and upgrade to 18" tires too! i would go 18x8.5 all around!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111610278018?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
i been eye-balling this set for years but i cannot because i got two other sets of OEM 18"s in my garage right now.

Old 06-23-16, 10:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^Based on my experience - I Disagree! When I still had the stock wheels on my ISF, I had a blowout while traveling home on the freeway. Ran over some debris in the dark. The car in front of me saw it and swerved to avoid it. Since I didn't see it, I ran smack dab over it and had a catastrophic blowout. The My front tire disintegrated and I when I was able to stop I was running directly on the rim. I thought the wheel was toast, but not so.

I had the rim repaired and refinished (cost was $125.) and the refinisher matched the other three wheels perfectly - You really couldn't tell that anything had ever happened. I drove on them another two years before I got my current wheels. When I sold them, I told the buyer about the refinishing, and he said he would never of known if I hadn't told him.

So, if you choose your refinisher with care, you should not have an issue.

Lou
Old 06-25-16, 05:59 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

I live in NY as well, Our roads do indeed suck ***, however memorize where the pot holes are on your daily commute and you shouldnt have a problem. Also, if you have auto tilt mirrors those are life savors when parallel parking. Anyways, Living in NY, dont expect to have perfect wheels unless youre a slow driver that watches every inch of the road, but hey we are in NY, NO way people let that slide LOL. My wheels have like 2 half inch sized gashes, ive just learned to live with it.
Old 06-25-16, 06:10 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont replace mine is worst ! drive fine. i just found out the previous owner of my car went off the cliff broke all 4 rims and tire lol, the weird thing is, suspension still fine only rims and tires are gone, lol @ Lexus
Old 06-25-16, 07:50 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RandyIS250
dont replace mine is worst ! drive fine. i just found out the previous owner of my car went off the cliff broke all 4 rims and tire lol, the weird thing is, suspension still fine only rims and tires are gone, lol @ Lexus
Went off a Cliff.... Oh my god. Thats pretty amazing how the car only lost its wheels.

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock Rims