IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket Headlight Bulb Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-16, 12:42 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Headlight Bulb Thread

i searched and didnt find a thread like this..
Anyone with aftermarket headlight bulbs please post a pic and bulb specifications!!

I bought ny car with these new bulbs already installed for the headlights but I think it's time for a change. I know absolutely NOTHING about bulb replacements but it's time to learn. I believe the fog lights and DRLs are stock. I think changing the DRL would look good because i like the position of the lights and how theyre close to the grill. As of now I usually drive with my headlights and fog lights on at all times of the day and realized i dont really like the look to be all that honest..

Also my headlights seem to be out of position with the bumper a little and the car was never in a front end accident so I think the guy before did the install himself

Old 06-21-16, 10:23 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your headlights HIDs or halogens? Second pic made it look like HID, but I didn't want to assume. Also, what makes you think your headlights are out of position? The straight on picture made them look pretty even.
Old 06-22-16, 06:38 AM
Parsa
Lead Lap

not sure if it's HID or halogen cause the guy before me did the lights. which is better? and ill post a closer pic of the headlights not lining up good later
Old 06-22-16, 01:01 PM
top5
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhhhh

Is this thread really a thread...

I googled hid setup lexus 2is and saw various results?
Old 06-22-16, 02:26 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

yeah it really is a thread. i did that search too. I want to talk to users who have first hand experience and see if they would recommend what they did
Old 06-22-16, 05:19 PM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I had the standard halogen bulbs for the low beams and the PO added HID fog lights. Unfortunately the PO also tinted the headlights, fog lights and tail lights. Light output from the tinted, halogen headlights was poor at best on dark, rainy nights. But the HID fogs helped.

Sooooo, I upgraded my low beam headlights to the Xenon Depot H11 Xtreme HID kit with Philips 4300k bulbs and it was more than worth the price. Light output is much, much better now. Even on dark, rainy nights I can see just fine.

The kit isn't exceptionally easy to install but it's not impossible either. The compactness of the engine bay makes running the wires unseen almost impossible. But, again I feel they were more than worth the effort to install them.

As for the high beams, I just kept them halogen (Osram Night Breaker) since I don't use them near as often as I use the low beams.

Last edited by Soledad; 06-22-16 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-25-16, 07:58 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

You need to open your hood and take a look to see if there is a HID conversion kit installed or not. Easy to notice since HID kits have wires running in to the headlight compared to HID, where it simply a bulb replacement.

Once you know what type of headlight you have, then you can bulb shop.

Our cars HID use D4S bulbs, and for halogen we use H11.
For D4S, Phillips or Osram is a very popular choice that I see on here.
For H11, I would highly recommend Morimoto Elite XB, as I use them myself. When it gets dark Ill take a picture of my cut off and projection to give you a better idea.

If you want to switch your DLR, LED is a very common option. They are 9005 bulbs, same as fogs. I chose to do HID fogs to match my low beams.
Old 06-25-16, 02:07 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

damn icy thank you for that great response, very detailed and much appreciated.

so you need an HID kit first to run HID bulbs huh? ill check under the hood to see whats going on. what about xenons for our cars?
Old 06-25-16, 02:42 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Parsa
damn icy thank you for that great response, very detailed and much appreciated.

so you need an HID kit first to run HID bulbs huh? ill check under the hood to see whats going on. what about xenons for our cars?

No no, Not at all, Our cars come with two headlight options, Halogen (base models for USA) and HID (Standard with any package). You need to first figure out which type of headlight you have.
The way to find out would be to see if there is a HID kit running through your headlight, That would conclude its originally Halogen, OR if you do NOT have an HID kit running in them, That means your headlight is originally HID. Then you can see which bulb to buy, but you have to find out whether your headlight is halogen when it came stock, or HID when it came stock. Hope that clears things up
Old 07-09-16, 12:00 AM
n2knee
Driver School Candidate

Is the bulb still D4S on the HID with adaptive front lighting system and do I need a headlight alignment after replacing the bulbs?

Please confirm if this is the stock factory bulb.
http://www.xenondepot.com/D4S-Philip.../pb-d4s-4k.htm
Old 07-13-16, 01:05 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

@n2knee

The OEM (factory) HID bulbs that come with your car are D4S -- which are the bulbs that you have linked above.

Steve
Old 07-14-16, 12:58 PM
n2knee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
@n2knee

The OEM (factory) HID bulbs that come with your car are D4S -- which are the bulbs that you have linked above.

Steve
Steve, thank you for confirming. I just ordered a pair through your website.

Can anyone confirm if I need a head light alignment after replacing the bulbs? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-16, 08:09 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

@n2knee - Thank you for your business. Which D4S bulbs did you end up ordering?

You should not need to readjust your headlights after replacing an OEM D4S HID bulb with an OEM HID bulb, as the beam pattern will be replicated.

Steve
Old 07-18-16, 03:14 PM
n2knee
Driver School Candidate

Steve,

I ordered a pair of PHILIPS 42402 HID BULB. Thank you for confirming that alignment is not necessary.

n2knee
Old 07-19-16, 04:50 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Id go with OEM. The ones from XD arent as bright. I had them in my car for a couple weeks and couldnt see as well. I sold them to another member who never complained about them. I then purchased some OEM's. Sure they are more expensive but being able to see at night is really important lol.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Headlight Bulb Thread