Can't get the HomeLink to learn

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 12:58 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Can't get the HomeLink to learn

Hey guys, I tried to program the homelink, I erased all memory first,
the home link button will be a slow flash, then I hold down my garage opener button, (or at the same time) very close together.. I never change to a rapid flash, infact after about 45 seconds the flash turn off completely. Tried different buttons.. tried many times.. too.

It's not a rolling code problem as far as I can tell, I am not that far yet. Even though the garage opener can open the garage, I think I need a new battery maybe the signal is weak?

Has anyone had this problem before?
Old 06-11-07, 01:55 AM
DeviousOne
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this identical problem. I was going to ask the dealer about it when I went in for my first service but I forgot.
Old 06-11-07, 02:02 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

My dad had the same problem... if your remote is weak you have to hold it really, really, really close for it to register into the HomeLink.
Old 06-11-07, 05:16 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
Hey guys, I tried to program the homelink, I erased all memory first,
the home link button will be a slow flash, then I hold down my garage opener button, (or at the same time) very close together.. I never change to a rapid flash, infact after about 45 seconds the flash turn off completely. Tried different buttons.. tried many times.. too.

It's not a rolling code problem as far as I can tell, I am not that far yet. Even though the garage opener can open the garage, I think I need a new battery maybe the signal is weak?

Has anyone had this problem before?

Do you "know" it's not a rolling code problem? Look on the opener itself (not the remote) for a program button. Push that, then try.
Old 06-11-07, 06:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same problem. I have rolling codes--I can get the HomeLink to recognize my remote. But, it won't learn the opener. THEN--all my remotes get wiped out, and need to be re-programed (including in my wife's Honda). I called the dealer service, and they said to follow the directions on the HomeLink website, but they are the same instrucitons. I've been trying for almost 2 weeks.
Old 06-11-07, 06:29 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Press and hold press both Homelink system and your car's homelink button, after about 10 seconds, you should hear a click sound on the homelink system, that means it learned. But however, my uncle have a same brand but different model homelink system I couldn't get it to work : /
Old 06-11-07, 06:45 AM
Irishfan
Driver

Guys, if you have a rolling code opener, you don't use the remote to learn the opener code to the car, you use a button on the actual opener mechanism itself.

RTFM!
Old 06-11-07, 06:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishfan
Guys, if you have a rolling code opener, you don't use the remote to learn the opener code to the car, you use a button on the actual opener mechanism itself.

RTFM!
The directions say it's 2 step for Rolling Codes--first you hold the remote close to the home link until the home link flashes, THEN you have the home link learn from the opener. The same directions are on Homelink.com.

If you have gotten your rolling code opener to learn by a different method, let me know. I have a Genie Eccelerator, and I can't get the damn thing to work. I had no problems with my old Acura or my wife's Honda.
Old 06-11-07, 07:00 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, its kinda tricky. Took me a few tries too, but I got it working finally.
Old 06-11-07, 07:04 AM
Irishfan
Driver

It took maybe a minute with mine, didn't need to use the remote. The garage door opener manual said that that's all that's required, just push a button on the opener, hold the button on the car button, wait until the light flashes on the opener, done. It definitely sounds like it's a different process depending on what kind of opener you have!
Old 06-11-07, 07:11 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
I have a Genie Eccelerator, and I can't get the damn thing to work. I had no problems with my old Acura or my wife's Honda.
I too have the Genie and can't get it to work. 3 different days of trying with both the handheld and getting a ladder out to press the button on the genie itself. I've cleared the codes and every combo produces nothing...

Let me know when someone gets the genie to work.
Old 06-11-07, 07:42 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

I have a rolling code opener and it can be a bit tricky to do.

I had to get out a ladder, open the opener unit, push the button then, moving fast, get off the ladder, into the car and press down the homelink in the car. I was happy I got it the first try.
Old 06-11-07, 07:44 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

I think I remember some separate instructions on the homelink site (or maybe it was on my manufacturer's site) that were for Canandian-manufactured openers. That was the one I had to use to program mine for my apartment gate. As I recall, I had to press-and-release for two seconds at a time, several times, instead of holding it down for a long time. Worth a try, if all else fails.
Old 06-11-07, 08:23 AM
TWQ83
Rookie

Default Homelink

Homelink can be a royal pain in the butt.......... If you cannot program the opeaner and homelink at the Dealership, Chances are you have a Rolling Code. Rolling code requires the Garage door in front of the car ( perferably Opeaned), The push button on the unit ( the opeaner itself ), ladder and a Friend. Position the car in front of the Garage pointing at the opeaner. then with one person in the car and the other on a ladder at the unit ......... Simultaniously press both the homelink and the set button on the opeaner itself ...... Count to 7 ( slowly) and release the set button on the opeaner, while still having said friend holding the homelink button in the car. The friend should hear an audible "CLICK" from the homelink in the car after about 10-15 seconds. You have now taught your homelink all the rolling codes to the Garage opeaner and you sould be in business after that. Buy your friend a Beer for helping you out and relax. This is the easiest way to accomplish the rolling code problem and has worked on every type of garage opeaner know to man with a rolling code.

Good luck and above all have fun.

Old 06-11-07, 08:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TWQ83
Homelink can be a royal pain in the butt.......... If you cannot program the opeaner and homelink at the Dealership, Chances are you have a Rolling Code. Rolling code requires the Garage door in front of the car ( perferably Opeaned), The push button on the unit ( the opeaner itself ), ladder and a Friend. Position the car in front of the Garage pointing at the opeaner. then with one person in the car and the other on a ladder at the unit ......... Simultaniously press both the homelink and the set button on the opeaner itself ...... Count to 7 ( slowly) and release the set button on the opeaner, while still having said friend holding the homelink button in the car. The friend should hear an audible "CLICK" from the homelink in the car after about 10-15 seconds. You have now taught your homelink all the rolling codes to the Garage opeaner and you sould be in business after that. Buy your friend a Beer for helping you out and relax. This is the easiest way to accomplish the rolling code problem and has worked on every type of garage opeaner know to man with a rolling code.

Good luck and above all have fun.

Yeah. This does work for home garages.

However, my condo's community garage door is locked and secured. I can't pull that off, and I still have to use a garage opener for my own home...

Quick Reply: Can't get the HomeLink to learn