IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS220d smart key problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 02:37 PM
MattUK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS220d smart key problem

Hi all I'm new here. Few months back I bought a lovely Lexus is220d 2010. I knew that there is a smart key issue but I went for as the price was very tempting.

I have a one fob key with blade. I can open the door only with blade and start the engine whilst holding fob to the engine start/stop button. All other functions on fob don't work.
All sound fine until one of the doors is open. Then I get message "key not detected" and flashing triangle.

Last few months I spent searching on Internet and I visited few garages even lexus main dealer. I was told that I need brand new key and program it but even lexus wasn't sure if the key is an issue. I was quoted ££££ for diagnosis but I didn't want to spend half of the value of the car.
Then I visited independent garages, someone tried to tell me that my £40 ebay used key is original mother key dedicated for my car.
When I was searching deeper and deeper I found out that ebay used key can be programmed if that key matches number on my "half way working" key.

My smart key number is MAROCCO:MR3324/2007
DENSO 14AAC.

honesty i don't believe that key with number given above is from my car. I think that car dealer purchased that car from auction without any keys and tried to reprogram it but as you see with no luck. They only managed to get it working in order to start the car (immobiliser).

I found someone who can clear used key memory and eventually get it reprogrammed but he lives far away from me.
I believe that if someone can clear key memory so he must have a program to register.

All local locksmiths in London can't program used key. They all claim that I need original clean key from lexus. I think they don't have decent tool or lack of knowledge how to deal with used key.

After wasting my time and money I decided to get and connect my car to TIS techstream myself. I ran throughout all modes and smart access option/utility. I checked my current key and it's only registered for immobiliser, there is no communication with other functions despite all are on.
When I tried to re-register that key I techstream recognise my fob but I need another key to complete that procedure.
Then I tried to reset smart code /erase but I need Internet connection and some kind of generator to get very long number so I can reprogram ecu and new key. Is that correct?

What else? Techstream shows that there is 2 keys currently registered in my car.where are they?I don't know.

I gave up with it for few days but I don't want to surrender. I could be close to get it done but I don't know yet how to do it without splashing ££££.

Today I found and rang up few new lexus experts in London.
One was very helpful but he hasn't program to deal with 2010 is220d. The other one is not sure if flashing proxy and key will be successful but he suspects a faulty keyless module.why?
1. Button on the key work and red diode blinks.
2. Red security diode blinks inside car and stops when I start the engine.
Obviously further diagnose is required by this guy. He us very busy but if i'm lucky enough he'll find some time for me maybe on Saturday.

I know that when You guys are going to read it it will sound like never ending story and you might think that i'm a clown but if you can PLEASE help.

Do you know or can recommend someone within London who knows how to deal with it?

Please help
Old 06-09-16, 07:26 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I want to know is what the hell a is220d is?
Old 06-09-16, 09:22 PM
queboy89
Driver School Candidate

I'd say your best best is having an authorized dealer program you a complete set of keys. Skip the diagnosing part, just ask for a new set of OEM keys, properly programmed for functionality. That's only supposed to cost a few hundred dollars over here in the US, so it shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg in the UK, but I could be very wrong. While a third party locksmith could work, they could be why you're in your current situation in the first place.

Originally Posted by P128sniper
What I want to know is what the hell a is220d is?
The IS 220D is a diesel variant produced for Europe.
Old 06-10-16, 12:12 AM
MattUK
Driver School Candidate

Hi. Thanks for reply

Is 220d is 2.2 diesel engine in Europe.

Main dealer cost is £400 for one key but lexus is not 100% sure if key is a problem. In the UK lexus will not accept refund so I could be £400 short. I was advised to go ahead futher, another £300 and of something else is broken my total bill could end up in £1000sss.
If i'd be 100% sure what exactly is faulty then I could go for it.

If we convert currency rate £ to $ i need to spend $1000 in the beginning.

Nobody will be happy to fork out that money for not guaranteed job. Unfortunately I didn't find anyone yet who could deal with lexus in the UK except main dealer with theirs ridiculous price.
Old 06-10-16, 12:40 AM
MattUK
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys but I forgot to mention.

When I run diagnostic tool there is only one fault code detected.it is :

B2799 engine imobiliser system

Could the above be smart key receiver, or module itself?
If immobiliser has fault then how I could start the engine?
Or someone before me swapped imobiliser with the fob just to start the car hence other modules do not communicate. ???

Thank You
Old 06-10-16, 03:00 AM
MattUK
Driver School Candidate

Hi all

I need to dig out smart key module, receiver,imobiliser and ecu modules.

Does anyone know where are these located? I need diagram with locations so I can check all modules if serial numbers match. If they do then I need to check key transponder ecu with ecm.

What is ECM? Is it car main ecu?
Old 06-11-16, 01:22 AM
MattUK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Allan1
Take it to dealer. You did know about the key issue and got the car for tempting price for a reason.
£400 is not so bad, even £1000 sounds ok for getting it fixed the right way.
Thank You for such helpful reply