IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 06:53 PM
chadster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been dealing with Woodland Hills Lexus for my is350 airbag recall. They will not budge on this stupid $35/day rental. I've had a case mgr at corporate basically say "too bad, you're getting a safe car so enjoy your Ford focus for 4 months." I complained and they upgraded me to a premium Chrysler Walter White 300. Without the SRT..Nno backup camera, I then switched to a crazy torque steering Ford fusion. Now I know why I still won't buy an American Engineered car and nowI don't think I'll buy a Lexus again. They are really pissing off a lot of people who are in effect paying $500+ a month Lexus car payment for a Ford focus free rental. Takata is ultimately paying for all of this but Lexus doesn't want to have to front the money. It's a shame because people aren't going to be buying their cars after this. Their customer svc rating is going to take a big hit. I could bite the bullet for a week or 10 days in a 300, but I miss the power and handling of the Lexus. It's going to be a long 4 months... I forgot to mention my Prius is recalled now too! At least I pawned it off on the dealer to keep until fixed.

Going back to Enterprise for one last go at finding something that will work long-term.
Old 09-06-16, 07:00 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

went to Lexus of Glendale today amd spoke to thebservice manager. He said there is absolutely no way they will pay for a lonaer/rental for me
Old 09-06-16, 07:04 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by chadster
Been dealing with Woodland Hills Lexus for my is350 airbag recall. They will not budge on this stupid $35/day rental. I've had a case mgr at corporate basically say "too bad, you're getting a safe car so enjoy your Ford focus for 4 months." I complained and they upgraded me to a premium Chrysler Walter White 300. Without the SRT..Nno backup camera, I then switched to a crazy torque steering Ford fusion. Now I know why I still won't buy an American Engineered car and nowI don't think I'll buy a Lexus again. They are really pissing off a lot of people who are in effect paying $500+ a month Lexus car payment for a Ford focus free rental. Takata is ultimately paying for all of this but Lexus doesn't want to have to front the money. It's a shame because people aren't going to be buying their cars after this. Their customer svc rating is going to take a big hit. I could bite the bullet for a week or 10 days in a 300, but I miss the power and handling of the Lexus. It's going to be a long 4 months... I forgot to mention my Prius is recalled now too! At least I pawned it off on the dealer to keep until fixed.

Going back to Enterprise for one last go at finding something that will work long-term.
I really wouldn't gripe with Lexus about this. All the car manufacturers going through this are having the same problems, and a lot of them are trying to do the same thing Lexus is doing by giving them a loaner/rental. There simply isn't enough loaners to go around to give every Lexus owner a Lexus (what dealer would want to tie up a ton of their New inventory to give to someone to use for a few months and rack up miles on?) Occasionally your dealer will work with you, or you're stuck with the $35 a day/dealing with corporate. There are a few guys in here who lucked out and got a Lexus loaner, and others who were able to talk them into upgrading them to a luxury loaner for free, or those who got an upgrade but are willing to pay the difference.
Old 09-06-16, 08:02 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes we all know it's a bad situation. And as it has been pointed out this affects many other marque of car manufacturers. Something like 10 million cars are affected. However, the other day I was thinking about it and really I don't care if I am driving my Lexus or not. At least they innitiated the recall when they did and disclosed it. Think about this: would you rather they go out of business and pay you 50 bucks a day for a rental? My industry pals say the service managers have been instructed to hold the $35 per day to conserve costs. Regionally it varies because some areas are more affluent , have gone through their allotment of $35 per day cars allowing them to authorize the next level rental. It also depends on the attitude of the service manager; some are just more workable than others.

This is excert was taken from a Car and Driver article October 26,2016.

"While Toyota says there have been no related injuries or deaths involving its vehicles, a New York Times report in September found a total of at least 139 reported injuries across all automakers. In particular, there have been at least two deaths and 30 injuries in Honda vehicles. According to the Times, Honda and Takata allegedly have known about the faulty inflators since 2004 but failed to notify NHTSA in previous recall filings (which began in 2008) that the affected airbags had actually ruptured or were linked to injuries and deaths....."

Say what you want but I'm giving Lexus creds for being forthcoming about the issue now rather than gambling to save a buck.
Old 09-07-16, 02:10 PM
06350F
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why everyone is getting mad about a FREE car to use. You don't have to worry about tires, oil changes
Old 09-08-16, 07:14 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Emailed Lexus Canada about the airbag recall and if I can get a loaner and this is their reply.....

Basically a generic non answer.

Dear Mr. Zynthe:

Thank you for your recent e-mail concerning the airbags on your 2007 Lexus IS 250.

The focus of Lexus remains on the safety and security of our guests. We are always evaluating NHTSA's industry-wide infinitives, and will work with the Agency to respond as necessary.
Should we release a Safety Recall Campaign, we will notify owners and provide the steps to take by first-class mail.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.
Old 09-08-16, 09:21 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Zynthe
Emailed Lexus Canada about the airbag recall and if I can get a loaner and this is their reply.....

Basically a generic non answer.

Dear Mr. Zynthe:

Thank you for your recent e-mail concerning the airbags on your 2007 Lexus IS 250.

The focus of Lexus remains on the safety and security of our guests. We are always evaluating NHTSA's industry-wide infinitives, and will work with the Agency to respond as necessary.
Should we release a Safety Recall Campaign, we will notify owners and provide the steps to take by first-class mail.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.
And what did you expect?!? There is currently NO airbag recall in Canada.
Old 09-08-16, 10:28 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 06350F
I don't understand why everyone is getting mad about a FREE car to use. You don't have to worry about tires, oil changes
I don't get it either. Do you all complaining and saying not going to buy Lexus again think you'll get service from BMW or Audi?
Old 09-09-16, 12:28 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by 06350F
It may be because some of us don't consider our car to be an appliance. We really enjoy driving, and want to drive the car we picked, not some econobox or whatever. I bought my ISF for many reasons, but first and foremost it was my choice of the car I wanted. I have modded it and personalized it to make it mine. I like to drive it and would not enjoy driving a rental for how many months this is going to take to sort out.

Lou
Old 09-12-16, 01:01 AM
chadster
Driver School Candidate

Default Exec VP customer relations Lexus Peggy Turner

Well, I got a Buick LaCrosse from Enterprise so I am getting closer to a nicer comparable car. Emailed Peggy Turner VP Lexus customer relations. Got a call back from her assistant Friday but missed the call. We'll see what happens Monday... .
Old 09-12-16, 09:15 AM
jordanko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chadster
Well, I got a Buick LaCrosse from Enterprise so I am getting closer to a nicer comparable car. Emailed Peggy Turner VP Lexus customer relations. Got a call back from her assistant Friday but missed the call. We'll see what happens Monday... .
Keep us posted and let us know what happens. Personally, when I found out about the recall I figured I may as well just trade the car in and purchase another Lexus. I had a deal in place for an RX350 f-sport, fully loaded, $62k or so MSRP. When I found out that my current IS350c was devalued because of the recall, and Lexus corporate wouldn't do anything in the form of a trade assist but instead simply give me a Ford to drive around from Enterprise, I cancelled the deal on the RX350 and don't think I'll ever buy another Lexus again.

I'm curious to see if you get anywhere. Good luck!
Old 09-17-16, 11:30 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Initially got a chrysler 200. That car sucked.
Exchanged it and got a buick lacrosse.
Old 09-22-16, 06:34 AM
recalled35
Driver School Candidate

My car has been recalled and I have spent hours on the phone with Lexus trying to get to a reasonable resolution - to no avail. The letter said not to put a passenger in the front seat AND it can be up to TWO YEARS before the (high risk) car is repaired!! AS if that is reasonable!. They offered a rental car and sent me to the dealer. Who told me a) it will not be a comparable car, b) it could be a "minivan", c) Enterprise is not known for nice cars, d) I have to take whatever they happen to have available that day - it's a 2 1/2 hour drive for me so I can't just "stop by" and the big one e) I have to house both cars. I don't have the means to house two cars, and I don't want to drive a minivan for 2 years.

Initially, Lexus told me they would buy it back, but then reneged on that. Then they basically said - tough - your only option is to take the rental and store 2 cars for 2 years.
So I have no choice but to sell the car - with value that is diminished post -recall by something like $3,000. I am grateful to be able to sell it at all under these circumstances, but I believe LExus has an ethical and legal obligation to make me whole on the Diminished Value. THAT is what I am pursuing with them.
(and of course - my new car will not be a Lexus or Toyota - I don't do business with companies that treat me this way. They should repair or replace sooner than 2 years - I know of NO other manufacturer who is asking customers to "live with this" for TWO YEARS!!). If that's what their lawyers want to require of us, they need to compensate for the loss in value).
Old 09-22-16, 10:00 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpinam3
I was at my Lexus dealer today picking some parts for my project. I asked him about a loner he said no problem. He did add it's an Enterprise deal capped st 35 per day but better than nothing IMO. Not so happy about it but what can be done. He said parts will be in Jan 17. The good thing is this is weekend car so the loaner can take all the mileage which I am going to pile on.

BTW I devised a way to disable the dash bag. I studied the electrical for this car and there are 3 plugs under the seat that connect the car to the seat. 1 ) power block for the motor ( big white square one) 2 ) yellow which is side air bag 3) other plug which may be grey or white smaller than plug no1 and is connected to auto passenger sensors that auto turn off bag.

If plug no 3 is pulled it turns off the dash bag and dash bag only. I confirmed with some electrical car people that the other air bags knee or side or piller are never affected. If you pull the plug you will also get a cel stating the bag is off and you will get the "passenger air bag is off" on the indicator on the center consol under the screen. It would be like the manual turn off some cars have for the passenger if a younger passenger is sitting there.

I also checked with some ASC CERTIFIED LEXUS , a BMW AND A ROLLS ROYCE MECHANIC and they confirmed my findings. My Lexus advisor remarked that was an obscure thing to detect and thought it was pretty good.

So before you flame me ask yourself do you not want to drive your car with a front seat passenger or drive with the air bag off just to be assured they would not get hurt if it did deploy ?

Do do at your own risk. I performed the operation twice and it worked. I even tested it with plug pulled , me in the passenger seat starting the car with a yardstick depressing the brake. Worked.
I poked around under the passenger seat this morning and as you stated there are 3 plugs: (1) large white one, (2) yellow one, and (3) smaller white one. I unplugged No. 3 as suggested but it seemed to have no effect, no malfunction airbag light on dash and the red passenger air bag light below the screen still functioned (flashing red and then solid red when seat belt is fastened). I then unplugged No. 1 which does indeed cut off the power to the seat, but it also now turned off the passenger air bag light below the screen. But still no malfunction airbag light on the instrument cluster. I couldn't get to the yellow No. 2 plug so I don't know what effect that would have.

I guess the bottom line question is this: UNDER NORMAL OPERATING CONDITIONS IF THERE IS NO PASSENGER DETECTED IN THE FRONT SEAT IS THE PASSENGER AIRBAG TURNED OFF? If so then disconnecting plug No. 1 should do the trick.

Any comments from the experts?

Last edited by Evitzee; 09-22-16 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-22-16, 10:29 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to revive a old thread but where exactly is this document that says they have to provide us a rental? I just scrolled through several pages and I don't see it

Quick Reply: Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.