IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 09:31 AM
idrivean8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexustom
It came from Corporate Toyota/Lexus. Corporate set the rental up through my local dealership. I'm not going to do it because I don't want to drive a Ford Focus/Chevy Cruze for the next 6-12 months while the defective Lexus sits in my garage. So, I'll just ride in the backseat and let my wife drive. This is all quite the scene is it not?
Wait. The inference here is that they're already willing to get you a rental before asking for your car back? Mine doesn't offer that at all! All it says is that I shouldn't have anybody in the passenger seat. I don't even expect to get a loaner until the dealership I go to gets the parts and even then I don't expect more than a day or two of install (due to making an appointment). Your dealership might not be offering you an equivalent loaner, but it's pretty cool that they're willing to pay for a rental until your car is fixed.
Old 07-21-16, 09:58 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idrivean8
Wait. The inference here is that they're already willing to get you a rental before asking for your car back? Mine doesn't offer that at all! All it says is that I shouldn't have anybody in the passenger seat. I don't even expect to get a loaner until the dealership I go to gets the parts and even then I don't expect more than a day or two of install (due to making an appointment). Your dealership might not be offering you an equivalent loaner, but it's pretty cool that they're willing to pay for a rental until your car is fixed.
Yes.....Corporate will gladly rent me a car starting right now should I so desire. They want to "see" my Lexus first (no doubt to see the mileage) and then I will get the rental. Drive the Lexus home (they said they don't store cars, duh!) , drive the rental home and use it until who knows when. Seemed pretty nice to me although as I have mentioned I don't think I'll do it.
Old 07-22-16, 05:06 AM
wopr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am located in Atlanta. 2006 IS350. I spoke with my local dealer. They do not have an ETA on replacement parts.

Other car manufacturers have completed quite a few replacements already. Who is manufacturing the replacement airbags? Does anyone know?

Last edited by wopr; 07-22-16 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-22-16, 05:34 AM
wopr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wopr
I am located in Atlanta. 2006 IS350. I spoke with my local dealer. They do not have an ETA on replacement parts.

Other car manufacturers have completed quite a few replacements already. Who is manufacturing the replacement airbags? Does anyone know?
I'll answer my own question:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm
Old 07-22-16, 09:41 AM
wopr
Driver School Candidate

Very informative link:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive-takata-airbag-recall-everything-you-need-to-know-including-full-list-of-affected-vehicles/
Old 07-23-16, 09:30 PM
08IS350
Driver

Yes.....Corporate will gladly rent me a car starting right now should I so desire. They want to "see" my Lexus first (no doubt to see the mileage) and then I will get the rental. Drive the Lexus home (they said they don't store cars, duh!) , drive the rental home and use it until who knows when. Seemed pretty nice to me although as I have mentioned I don't think I'll do it.
How did you get rental? Did you contact corporate? It is ridiculous recommendation that Lexus made " You do not operate the vehicle with an occupant in the front passenger seat". It is kinda irresponsible. What if it is on Driver site, will they say "Do not drive the vehicle from driver seat until the remedy become available" ?

FAIL
Old 07-24-16, 08:20 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 08IS350
How did you get rental? Did you contact corporate? It is ridiculous recommendation that Lexus made " You do not operate the vehicle with an occupant in the front passenger seat". It is kinda irresponsible. What if it is on Driver site, will they say "Do not drive the vehicle from driver seat until the remedy become available" ?

FAIL
Yes, I talked to "Corporate". They want us to be safe..........(their words).......so they will rent me a car. I asked if they'd repair my car faster than others because they'd be spending $ every day on my rental? They laughed and told me it could still be months and months before I'd get the Lexus fixed.

What a mess. I don't really want a rental for the next year while my Lexus sits in my garage. A good point about the drivers air bag. Hmmmm. Just don't know. What I do know is that I have a 3 passenger car now and have been told that to be safe I must not use the front passenger seat.
Old 07-25-16, 12:07 PM
idrivean8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response. I guess I should call corporate as well. I called the dealership I typically take my IS to get serviced at and they estimated January/February 2017 would be the date they might start seeing replacements. So if they're willing to rent a car for me for like 5 months, I'm totally okay with that.
Old 07-25-16, 12:38 PM
wopr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by idrivean8
Thanks for the response. I guess I should call corporate as well. I called the dealership I typically take my IS to get serviced at and they estimated January/February 2017 would be the date they might start seeing replacements. So if they're willing to rent a car for me for like 5 months, I'm totally okay with that.
Corporate responded that I should contact my dealer to arrange a loaner. Also said they will send out letters for remedy in first quarter 2017.
Old 07-25-16, 01:04 PM
wopr
Driver School Candidate

Spoke to dealer. Few points to consider if you are considering a rental while waiting for the replacement airbag:

1. You must bring in your Lexus to the dealer to have current odometer reading photographed
2. You must park and not drive your car, meaning dead battery if you do not have access to a battery tender
3. Your rental could potentially have a Takata airbag that is not on the global recall list
4. You must renew your rental every 30 days
Old 07-25-16, 04:16 PM
5nX37
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is unnerving! My dad's Honda Pilot has parts already available to fix the issue, and here we are still waiting on at least some update. How can Lexus not even know ETA on when replacement parts are coming in?!? They say not to have occupants sit on the front passenger, but how about passengers in the rear? It seems possible that, if there is enough kinetic energy to injure/kill front passenger, the shrapnel can possibly reach rear passengers as well. This has become an inconvenience. It's defeat the purpose of buying this car for my family to enjoy on short trips or just to drive around town. Just a gripe on Lexus and how the solution to this issue is taking wayyyy too long compared to other auto makers..
Old 07-25-16, 06:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^The scope is so enormous that nobody knows when the parts will be available. I do not hold Lexus responsible in any way for this. As far as shrapnel, the front air bag is only activated when there is weight in the front seat.

Lou
Old 07-25-16, 06:55 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 324 Likes on 140 Posts

I emailed Lexus Canada about the airbag... I am guessing that they are still waiting for you guys in the south states to get it done first... cause they said they had no airbag recall coming for my car...

this is what they said...

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We would like to take this opportunity to advise that recalls are Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) specific. We are happy to advise your 2006 IS 350 has no outstanding recalls on it.

We kindly suggest checking our www.lexus.ca/recall from time to time to check if your vehicle is affected any recalls.

We hope this information is helpful and thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Kim Carter
Customer Assistance Centre
Lexus Division
Old 07-25-16, 08:40 PM
mqta1964
Driver School Candidate

Good to know. Thank u.
Old 07-26-16, 08:36 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

I just hope I can have this done at my Toyota dealership. The closest Lexus dealership to me is a three hour drive and I was lucky to be able to make time for the previous recall since a business trip ended up being close by.

Quick Reply: Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.