IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-16, 11:19 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Lexus dealers will NOT disconnect the airbag for liability reasons, they have stated that in the documents. It only affects the passenger side airbag, so if you have a co-pilot they should sit in the back seat for safety sake. This is one price we pay for ever more complex machines.
Although what you say makes perfect sense, I can just see my wife's reaction when I ask her to start riding in the back seat of the Lexus. I'll try asking her tomorrow and let you know how that plays out!!

This whole thing really defies belief. I think it is more than a "price we must pay" for high technology/complexity. I think it is a price we are paying for gross incompetence and probably greed on many levels.

I really am thinking I'm not just missing my 1977 Corolla but I'm missing my wonderful little 1951 Chevrolet as well. Seriously. Nuts to all this technology.
Old 05-31-16, 03:05 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Well, I asked my wife to start riding in the back seat. For her safety of course. You can guess what her reaction was!!! She's perfectly happy to drive and have me ride in the back seat but I'll not be chauffeuring her around, that's for sure. Gotta love Lexus and Takata. Oh Yeah....this is all great !!!

Anyone have a used 1977 Corolla for sale?
Old 05-31-16, 07:30 PM
AyeBird
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The interesting thing about the recall announcement was that it did not include any vehicles newer than 2011, however the filing from Takata includes 2012 and 2013 model years (not specifically for the IS), so we may have to wait and see what happens. I'm not sure the propellant type in the newer vehicles, however the part number did not change between 2011 and 2012-13.

Jeff
I didn't notice that with Toyota until I took a second look at the list of affected cars. Considering the 2012-2013 IS is part of the 2IS platform, shouldn't Toyota at at least address the owners of the 2012-2013 in a side note, letting them know that if they are affected, that their odds aren't as severe as the 2006-2011 IS owners? I think it'd be more fair than not saying anything and letting the 2012-2013 owners have false hope that they have nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by Lexustom
Well, I asked my wife to start riding in the back seat. For her safety of course. You can guess what her reaction was!!! She's perfectly happy to drive and have me ride in the back seat but I'll not be chauffeuring her around, that's for sure. Gotta love Lexus and Takata. Oh Yeah....this is all great !!!

Anyone have a used 1977 Corolla for sale?
Haha! Reading this made my day. You know things are bad when one has to ride in the back seat and appear to be chauffeured Somebody, get this man a 1977 Corolla quick!
Old 06-01-16, 06:41 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ford also recall 1.9 million of their car for Taketa air bags. This recall will take over a year for Lexus to get parts I think
Old 06-01-16, 11:15 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

My SA told me today that we'd be lucky to get it fixed in a year. Looks like a long time with no one sitting in the right front seat.

Or? I'm just going to forget about the whole thing!
Old 06-02-16, 01:31 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexustom
My SA told me today that we'd be lucky to get it fixed in a year. Looks like a long time with no one sitting in the right front seat.

Or? I'm just going to forget about the whole thing!
So driver side is ok?
Old 06-02-16, 08:23 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Originally Posted by MWIS350
So driver side is ok?
Yes. So I have been told. Only the passenger side has the defect.
Old 06-02-16, 09:30 AM
Strexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and the toll rises....

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/nationa...e-airba/nrYfR/
Old 06-02-16, 04:00 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Some of the questions at the end of the article is pretty funny. "Q: Should I just try to explode the bag myself? A: No. Do not do that."

It says Takata tested out 30,000 airbags and 265 ruptured; that means about 1 out of 100 cars in the recall have ruptured airbags. Though it didn't say how old the tested airbags were or if they were random tests.
Old 06-02-16, 04:50 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

I heard on the news this AM that new car manufacturers are making cars with bags that they know will be defective in about 3 years. They figure that by then new, better airbags will be ready to go. Interesting how complex this is all getting.

Disclaimer: I don't believe all the news I hear on the radio but somehow this story I believe.
Old 06-02-16, 05:18 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Fear mongering at it's best. "Are you scared of your current car? Go buy a new one and you'll be safe again until the next recall!"

Even if they put defective bags/inflators in, they'll have to replace them. I wonder how much lower Takata's stock will go.
Old 07-15-16, 08:43 PM
juradog
Driver School Candidate

can someone help me out, i drive a 09 is250 and as we all know there is no key to insert and be able to turn off the passenger airbag. Can anyone tell me how i can disconnect it? if i disconnect the wires under the passenger seat will it automatically turn off the airbag? or will it do the opposite? i don't want to hear about how dangerous or against the law it is, i just want it done, i assume all responsibility i just want someone to tell me HOW it can be done and ill do it myself until the airbags come into my local dealer. And i live in south florida where its very HOT and HUMID which are two things that come in to play on this recall. Thanks for anyones help!
Old 07-16-16, 06:37 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by juradog
can someone help me out, i drive a 09 is250 and as we all know there is no key to insert and be able to turn off the passenger airbag. Can anyone tell me how i can disconnect it? if i disconnect the wires under the passenger seat will it automatically turn off the airbag? or will it do the opposite? i don't want to hear about how dangerous or against the law it is, i just want it done, i assume all responsibility i just want someone to tell me HOW it can be done and ill do it myself until the airbags come into my local dealer. And i live in south florida where its very HOT and HUMID which are two things that come in to play on this recall. Thanks for anyones help!
Since you don't have mechanical skill, bring it to a local shop tell them you pull out the airbag wire connector, i don't think anyone dare to do that even though it's on recall, unless you have an airbag problem need to fix otherwise no one allow to do that, bring your car to dealership and see what they say, don't panic it's alright.

This defection is effect on newest model that don't mean our car is defects as well, the reason HTSA wants to recall all because SAFETY FIRST incase it does happen they wanted 100% SAFE for us, when GOvernment do something they make SURE 100% PERFECT, HTSA HEAD Department got headache too not just us so does TAKATA and Toyota Corp. No one happy here so just be patient !
Old 07-16-16, 08:34 PM
FlyBri
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 IS 250. Called the dealership near me here in Los Angeles, and here is what they said: Parts won't be available until January 2017. Also, they actually told me directly it "wasn't a safety issue." REALLY??? In the meantime, if I don't want to drive my car, they will only pay up to around $37 a day for a rental (which they said will cover something like a Toyota Corolla). Not only that, but to keep my car at the dealership, they actually have the audacity to charge me $97. Look, I know that it's the air bag manufacturer is to blame, but Lexus does have the responsibility here as well since they manufactured and sold the car to me. Not happy about this situation at all, and trying to decide what I'm going to do.
Old 07-17-16, 07:36 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyBri
I have a 2007 IS 250. Called the dealership near me here in Los Angeles, and here is what they said: Parts won't be available until January 2017. Also, they actually told me directly it "wasn't a safety issue." REALLY??? In the meantime, if I don't want to drive my car, they will only pay up to around $37 a day for a rental (which they said will cover something like a Toyota Corolla). Not only that, but to keep my car at the dealership, they actually have the audacity to charge me $97. Look, I know that it's the air bag manufacturer is to blame, but Lexus does have the responsibility here as well since they manufactured and sold the car to me. Not happy about this situation at all, and trying to decide what I'm going to do.
Ya because of that 77 Years OLD LADY in the STATES got in a crash in her HONDA CIVIC airbag deployed and killed her sad but why WOULD A 77 YEARS OLD ELDER DRIVING A CAR ?

In Canada we stopped them driving for couple years because of that lady DRAGGED the DEAD BODY TO HER GARAGE, well the Ministry let them back on the road later for some reasons and retest them at certain age,

to me i would not touch the car IF I KNOW I AM UNSTABLE, IF I DRINK I DO NOT DRIVE or I DO NOT DRIVE under any influences,

every time i hold my steering wheel i always think of Family that loss their loved one. I hate TAILGATE CUTOFF and SPEEDING, i only speed up a little when try to pass lane or slower vehicle ahead. been driven for 18 years and only got 1 speeding ticket due to the sleepiness in the morning, i forgot the speed limit. here in Toronto Canada we got NICE COPS ! they always give us a break and chance.

Back to the topic, we Lexus drivers shall not be so worried, according to USA Automotive consumer and Highway Safety Ministry Chief info said that , It's the Honda Corp and Takata airbag thingy that they said deployment they made for the Honda Civic was so strong and might kills, no offend but MOST OF FATAL CRASHES are ELDERs or Drink and Drive, 14 incidents around the world with airbag related and 1 in Florida that 77 years old Lady with her Honda Civic. They also said, affected Honda Civic from 2001 model +

just get that 39$ from dealer and keep driving the car. Here some safety tip when your vehicle malfunction.

1, Airbag : sit farther back away from airbag as far as you can, don't hug your steering wheel like Vietnamese and Chinese LADIES. One Vietnamese lady died in Toronto Canada here because she was hugging her steering wheel and rear end somebody. You suppose to hit and lay on airbag, airbag not suppose to push you. Thats the reason for having an airbag.

2, Accel : Toyota Lexus got a class action lawsuits years ago due to the accel stucks, some people has no COMMON SENSE not everyone smart or knows how to deal with emergency situation, Never used car floor mat in driver seat use only dealer with lock hook, if your hook broken you should replace or fix it, your floor mat in driver seat should be sticky with pin not smooth one from Walmart or Canadian Tires, do yourself a favor, check your driver seat floor mat once in awhile make sure everything in place and safe. No garbage or Bottle water in your driver floor mat !

3: Accel malfunction : If you're on Freeway/Highway with high speed 60mile/h or 100k/m and you get an Accel malfunction, you cant stop the car the Accel won't go down or the car Accel by itself, 1st don't panic don't scare, TURN ON YOUR EMERGENCY LIGHT, PUT YOUR GEAR IN NEUTRAL. TURN OFF YOUR ENGINE, Use BRAKE or EBRAKE to slow down the car, if you use ebrake make sure press or pull slowly or else your car will skid.

i know a lot of you never shift gear to N neutral, some of you don't know what the heck N is, i use N gear to REV for an Automatic transmission car.

Quick Reply: Air bag recalled for 2006-2011 Lexus IS250/350.