IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Water Pump and Serpentine Belt recomendation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 04:59 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water Pump and Serpentine Belt recomendation.

Just learn from my mechanic that I need a water pump. Because it will cost $560 to replace if I do it through him, I'll do it on my own. I don't have that $$$ right now to spend.
Just looking for a pump and belt recommendation. My budget is around $200.

Thanks
Old 05-14-16, 07:20 PM
leftyjohn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look on ebay for Aisin water pump. Its supposed to be made by company that supplies Lexus. An OEM belt is like $40 on ebay. Doesnt pay to scrimp for a few bucks there. Theres also a DIY video on how to replace pump on the CL site. Good luck. Doesnt seem to be very hard to do. Just a pita to remove everything you gotta. You shud be able to do this under your budget
Old 05-14-16, 08:25 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Thanks a bunch. I'll definitely get the OEM belt and I found that water pump.
2006-2015 Lexus IS250 Water Pump - AISIN W0133-1887952

Thanks a bunch.
Old 05-15-16, 08:19 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I agree this is something you'll not want to go cheap on. Get the quality WP and belt like you've mentioned. Read up on the DIYs on here to see what the job all entails.
Old 05-15-16, 11:16 AM
SQLnovice
Driver

Thanks. I found a video on youtube and watched it already. It's something I'll be able to do. I was a little stressed because my mechanic gave me a future estimate for close to $1000, for the water pump, transmission, and differential service. The price was fair, it's just that I don't have that much to spend at the moment. So DIY here I come. And to top that off, my car burned 2 quarts of oil in the past 4 weeks. I just finished paid it off and is very excited about not having a car payment. So even with the carbon build up, I plan on keeping this car for 4-5 years minimum.
Old 05-17-16, 01:19 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

I opened the radiator cap to see if I need to top it off with coolant and saw that the inner spring mechanism was broken. So I purchased one yesterday from Lexus and replace the broken one. So here is my question: Since the cap was broken, could this have caused my coolant recover to overflow? The overflow spout is just above the water pump And I was wondering if my mechanic could have mistaken the overflow coolant for a water pump issue?
I just decided to ask in case this may have happened to someone.
However, I will drain all the coolant, it has pink ones in there now, refill it with green or blue, and keep checking to see if it leaks again.
Old 05-17-16, 01:38 PM
strikeraj
Driver

Not sure about other items but I think you should just get Toyota pink coolant instead of green or blue stuff.
Old 05-17-16, 01:54 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by SQLnovice
Just learn from my mechanic that I need a water pump. Because it will cost $560 to replace if I do it through him, I'll do it on my own. I don't have that $$$ right now to spend.
Just looking for a pump and belt recommendation. My budget is around $200.

Thanks
After reading COUNTLESS threads like this over the years on this website, I am literally speechless and baffled as to why anyone buys a car in which they are unable to afford to fix things that break on said car.

When I was young and had little money I drove used Hondas. Cheap and plentiful parts and labor abound for my old Civics and Prelude I had.

i just don't get it.
Old 05-17-16, 03:29 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Originally Posted by 355F1
After reading COUNTLESS threads like this over the years on this website, I am literally speechless and baffled as to why anyone buys a car in which they are unable to afford to fix things that break on said car.

When I was young and had little money I drove used Hondas. Cheap and plentiful parts and labor abound for my old Civics and Prelude I had.

i just don't get it.
Set me straight. I'm selling my car and buying a bicycle. Applying for special financing right now. But I will need your help to buy a bicycle pump. Just incase I get a flat and can't afford to fix it.
I'm glad you got this off your chest, must have been a tuff few years having to live with this and not saying anything. I have to say it took some courage. After a few years, you finally got the ball (some of us only have one) to say it.
Old 05-17-16, 04:55 PM
leftyjohn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Sql---go to a Toyota dealer and buy their ( pink) antifreeze. Its the same as Lexus and will prob save you a few bucks. The coolant is a 50-50 mix so you dont need to add water. Its like $25-26 for a gallon.
Old 05-17-16, 06:18 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Originally Posted by leftyjohn
Hey Sql---go to a Toyota dealer and buy their ( pink) antifreeze. Its the same as Lexus and will prob save you a few bucks. The coolant is a 50-50 mix so you dont need to add water. Its like $25-26 for a gallon.

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a difference. I will definitely get the pink one. I taught they were all the same. I'm now getting into DIY maintenance for my own car so there is a lot to learn.
I was contemplating spending about $1500 in maintenance for tranny and rear def fluid change, plus the water pump and a few other things versus trading it in and get a $350.
I just got a call from my local Lexus dealer, and I'll be getting the dash and door panel replaced soon. So I will definitely keep for the next 3-5 years. It's paid off for so even if I spend 2K, it definitely beat a $400 monthly payment on another car.
Yes, now I can start my audio build.
Old 05-17-16, 06:29 PM
Gville350

So what exactly were the symptoms that led to the "bad water pump" diagnosis? As long as there are not any leaks coming from the water pump and there are no odd noises coming that general area, I'd start by replacing the bad radiator cap. Let us know if that helps.
Old 05-17-16, 06:43 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
So what exactly were the symptoms that led to the "bad water pump" diagnosis? As long as there are not any leaks coming from the water pump and there are no odd noises coming that general area, I'd start by replacing the bad radiator cap. Let us know if that helps.
The mechanic I normally have my maintenance done said my water pump is bad. He showed me some pink fluids on the bottom of the car, kind of in front of the water pump area. So after he told me this, I drove the car for about 5 days, paying attention to my temp gauge, and then I decided to check the radiator to see if I need to top it off with coolant. That is when I noticed the inner part of the cap was all busted and the spring was just sitting in the inlet of the radiator. The coolant was fine, which is what led me to start this thread.
My mechanic is an honest guy, I think. However, I think it could have been a mistake on his part but I could be wrong.
I figured, with the broken cap, not loosing any coolant, and the car not overheating could have been a mistake with the water pump.
I will go underneath the car and wash/clean the coolant that's there and then recheck in a couple days to see if there is any leak.
Old 05-17-16, 06:47 PM
Gville350

Yeah, clean the area under the WP and on the undertray with brake cleaner and monitor the area for the next week. Pink residue is definitely dried coolant...but from where? Could have been spilled in there or pushed out of the overflow.

Let us know how it goes after the radiator cap is replaced.
Old 05-17-16, 07:19 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Yeah, clean the area under the WP and on the undertray with brake cleaner and monitor the area for the next week. Pink residue is definitely dried coolant...but from where? Could have been spilled in there or pushed out of the overflow.

Let us know how it goes after the radiator cap is replaced.
I replaced the cap yesterday. I taught the same about the overflow and coolant residue.
Thanks for the tip on the break cleaner. I'll do that this weekend and definitely keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: Water Pump and Serpentine Belt recomendation.