IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Supercharger: is it worth it to you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 03:28 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Supercharger: is it worth it to you?

Hello fellow IS owners...

I've been doing some research on forced induction for our vehicles, the 2GR-FSE in specific, but this is not a question about output or who's cracked the ECU or blah blah blah...this is a question of priority.

There are some kits out there...3 or 4 that took some digging to uncover but not many have purchased these kits. so let's talk abstract...

What would it take as far as specs go to make this purchase on top of your priority mod list? Price? Specs? Reliability?

I'm not necessarily looking for "what you all know" type of response. I want to know what you want from a forced induction(supercharger or turbo setup) to make it into your top five mod to do list.

GO!!
Old 05-12-16, 03:50 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by r0shiro
Hello fellow IS owners...

I've been doing some research on forced induction for our vehicles, the 2GR-FSE in specific, but this is not a question about output or who's cracked the ECU or blah blah blah...this is a question of priority.

There are some kits out there...3 or 4 that took some digging to uncover but not many have purchased these kits. so let's talk abstract...

What would it take as far as specs go to make this purchase on top of your priority mod list? Price? Specs? Reliability?

I'm not necessarily looking for "what you all know" type of response. I want to know what you want from a forced induction(supercharger or turbo setup) to make it into your top five mod to do list.

GO!!
Reliable of course. Maybe 8-10psi boost for supercharger. Around 100hp gain for 3k. Then itll be in my top 5 lmao
Old 05-12-16, 11:16 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Reliable of course. Maybe 8-10psi boost for supercharger. Around 100hp gain for 3k. Then itll be in my top 5 lmao
^^Basically this. If a supercharger kit could be made to handle a decent boost like Metaleckz said and at the same time be reliable, efficient (makes decent power), and be sold for a reasonable price, Id hop in line to get mine quick. BUT... sadly this isnt the case with the kits people have put on the 2IS. For the power you make with whatever kit is available at the moment, it isnt worth the time and money that goes into making it possible. Yes its cool knowing your IS350 is boosted and what not, but for that money Id either mod the hell out of my car aesthetics and turn it into a beautiful show car, OR... Pay it off, part it out, and buy an ISF.
Old 05-13-16, 08:57 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think for the vast majority, its how much bang for buck they can get, then next in line would be reliability. I don't believe that our platform is very price friendly being that we have a considerably high engine compression ratio, making it difficult to get much boost out of it while still being reliable. I believe price is honestly whats stopping many people from going down the super charger route.
Old 05-13-16, 09:23 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Having been on the forum for quite a few years, its painfully obvious that the average owner here wants a ton of power at next to no cost, the kit to install itself and they dont want the burden of any general maintenance that comes with it. Unrealistic mindset is commonly seen; for instance most people still mention they want a supercharger kit for a price that equal to or around the price of a blower alone, much less the R&D, brackets, piping, oil, couplers, BOV, etc...
Old 05-13-16, 09:38 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Not enough ROI - for the money/time you spend vs. HP increased to the wheel -> cost you more than geting yourself an IS-F...
Old 05-13-16, 10:22 AM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

is250/350 pretty cheap cars relatively... not gona pay 1/2 of my cars price or even 1/4 for people with newer/ more modded cars for a SC set up parts only. rather sell car and put that 5k into a new car
Old 05-13-16, 02:28 PM
RussZTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't waste my money and time for just 100hp. Our cars don't have that much power to begin with. Hard for me to dump that amount of money into this car when still under 350hp. I also drive a almost 900rwhp pump gas car so I tend not to spend anything on my Lexus.
Old 05-13-16, 02:46 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RussZTT
I wouldn't waste my money and time for just 100hp. Our cars don't have that much power to begin with. Hard for me to dump that amount of money into this car when still under 350hp. I also drive a almost 900rwhp pump gas car so I tend not to spend anything on my Lexus.
Agreed,

This platform just isn't tuner friendly.
Old 05-13-16, 05:53 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

It is not worth it, the 2IS platform was just not meant to go fast. For this reason, I got into a GT-R, which is 100x more fun then my 2IS, even though it does lack interior luxury. That is totally okay though as they are two different cars, two different beasts.

My 2IS is my daily driver and does everything I could ask for and more.

Best bet if you are looking for a bump in power is to look into an ISF or explore another option. All the RCF/GSF reuse the same engine...

Very interested to se what Lexus has planned for next generation models as they are working with BMW, fingers crossed for TT V6 / V8s and a nice power pump to ~ 550 atleast*
Old 05-13-16, 06:01 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
It is not worth it, the 2IS platform was just not meant to go fast. For this reason, I got into a GT-R, which is 100x more fun then my 2IS, even though it does lack interior luxury. That is totally okay though as they are two different cars, two different beasts.

Best bet if you are looking for a bump in power is to look into an ISF or explore another option. All the RCF/GSF reuse the same engine...

Very interested to se what Lexus has planned for next generation models as they are working with BMW, fingers crossed for TT V6 / V8s and a nice power pump to ~ 550 atleast*
Must be nice. One of my car buddys I also go to meets with has a lightly modded 09 GT-R and that thing is just something else entirely lol. Cant even compare the 2is in any way at all as of course , it wasnt meant to compete with that sort of car. Ill also add that the GTR actually has a very nice interior for a car of its class. Supsrisingly fits his (smaller) family members in the back fairly easily, so it can even be a family car in the future for when he has kids lol.

Anyway back on topic. The IS350 just isnt worth the effort to go supercharged. Too much buck , too little bang. If you want power this is the wrong car for the PERIOD. That being said for a daily its got more than enough power for me. Sure I would like a little more but hey, if I wanted a car for modding I would have just got that C5 Z06 or STi I almost bought. Lol.

Also as for the RCF/GSF engine being the same as the ISF, isnt the newer engines on the RC/GS a better engine due to something being different? From what I remember an RCF and ISF with the same mods will always favor the RCF.
Old 05-14-16, 11:44 PM
gt500tony
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoshIS408

Unrelated to thread. Wish i could get into a 2015 gtr. Noice man! very envious.

Related to thread. Not worth money. Go lease a sports car. Gtr's are nice unless the transmission goes. Or need to service brakes. So pricey!

Last edited by gt500tony; 05-15-16 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-15-16, 05:57 PM
gt500tony
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tro209
Must be nice. One of my car buddys I also go to meets with has a lightly modded 09 GT-R and that thing is just something else entirely lol. Cant even compare the 2is in any way at all as of course , it wasnt meant to compete with that sort of car. Ill also add that the GTR actually has a very nice interior for a car of its class. Supsrisingly fits his (smaller) family members in the back fairly easily, so it can even be a family car in the future for when he has kids lol.

Anyway back on topic. The IS350 just isnt worth the effort to go supercharged. Too much buck , too little bang. If you want power this is the wrong car for the PERIOD. That being said for a daily its got more than enough power for me. Sure I would like a little more but hey, if I wanted a car for modding I would have just got that C5 Z06 or STi I almost bought. Lol.

Also as for the RCF/GSF engine being the same as the ISF, isnt the newer engines on the RC/GS a better engine due to something being different? From what I remember an RCF and ISF with the same mods will always favor the RCF.
Rcf and gsf have upgraded engine.

I'd still take a 2012 is-f though. Better value imo.
Old 05-16-16, 10:58 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you everyone for the input...
Old 05-17-16, 11:15 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I supercharged mine. I found the kit for decent price and went for it. I can agree with others, it's not worth it for the price for the gains you get. I could have traded in my IS350 for an IS-F but my IS has too much work done to it already that I would not want to put it back to stock. What it came down to was that the only mod my IS really didn't have was a supercharger. Makes the car more unique and surely I will probably never run into another IS that sounds like mine. Reliability-wise, I haven't had a single issue. No CEL or anything in almost the year I've had the kit on. Car runs just like stock but with a little extra power and unique sound. Even with the supercharger, my IS350 is slower than my daily driver lol.

Quick Reply: Supercharger: is it worth it to you?