IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My 2IS weight reduction project is underway!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 06:06 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts
Default My 2IS weight reduction project is underway!

v1.0 -

In my goal for a sub 8.5 1/8th mile time in NA form, I've begun phase 1 of my on-going weight reduction project. Though I've had the Sparco seat bracket since Christmas, I finally decided on a Sparco R100 seat with the "F-sport blue" inserts with NO sliders. ($200 + $140) 30lbs for the seat and <10lbs for the bracket. More weight than I had wanted, but since I'm not doing a rollbar, for safety I had to go with a reclining seat. So no 1pc fiberglass seat like I originally wanted. After having taken the car for a drive with the new seat, OMG...it's like I'm back in my '92 Civic hatch (minus the 400whp)! Go-cart like "feel" with being so close to the ground. Seat was budget-friendly and the overall quality is good.

Driver seat weight savings...roughly 15lbs.

v1.1 -

Though I did my PPE header install a while ago, not until right now did I think of it having some weight savings...along with the increase in HP/torque. ($800)

Weight savings...roughly 10lbs.

v1.2 -

Getting a lightweight battery. ($200)

Weight savings...roughly 15lbs.

v1.3 -

Getting a AF-1 Aero Function Carbon Fiber trunk. ($570)

Weight savings...roughly 15lbs.

v1.4 -

These following changes would only be on the track day :

1) Remove the front passenger seat (free)

Weight savings...roughly 55lbs.

2) Remove the rear seats (free)

Weight savings...roughly 20lbs.

3) Remove the spare wheel/tire, jack, tools, mini air compressor, and rear cover tray/cargo mat (free)

Weight savings...roughly 20lbs.

4) Getting a set of Genesis 18x4 spare wheels/tires to run up front; only the ones that came with Brembos I believe will fit. ($280)

Weight savings...roughly 25lbs.

5) Getting a set of Vision 521-5165P25 15x10 wheels and 275/50/15 MT DRs. Won't be much of a weight savings from my calculations, but the added traction will be epic. ($200 + $400)

Weight savings...roughly 5lbs.

6) Remove the factory axle back mufflers. (free)

Weight savings...roughly 39lbs.

Weight reduction ain't cheap! But the grand total if all of the above was taken into consideration for one trip to the drag strip...at right 200lbs! If taking the .10 per second per 100lbs weight lost formula, it'll easily get me into the mid 8.4s!
The following users liked this post:
DdotSdot (06-01-21)
Old 05-09-16, 06:16 PM
Gville350

If you have another idea about saving weight (besides brake rotors/calipers), please let me know!
Old 05-09-16, 06:45 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey, I'm on board with this project!

You know from my lightweight battery project it might not be as simple as replacing the stock battery with something smaller and lighter
Old 05-09-16, 07:02 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

You might find additional ideas from the IS-F folks that you can use for your weight reduction project:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...reduction.html

Your new driver seat looks great. If you get a matching passenger side one, you'd have a very OEM look.
Old 05-09-16, 07:57 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Also you mentioned the front wheels, but didn't say anything about the back. A set of light 17, or even 16 inch wheels along with a set of drag radials might be the way to get the et you are after.
Old 05-10-16, 05:06 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Y'all know this is up my alley when it comes to weight reduction..lol That seat looks very nice man... definitely get a passenger seat to match. I would like to correct some of the weight info you posted. The OEM spare tire alone is 30lbs and OEM seats are 63lbs. OEM headers are 11.2lbs each. PPE headers came in at 9.6lbs. Stock cat- back exhaust was 40lbs. Stock battery is 40lbs. Stock trunk 24lbs. Stock suspension front was 27lbs and the rear was 30lbs. I hope this info helps..
Old 05-10-16, 07:49 AM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I felt significant weight difference between oem hood vs. CF hood
Old 05-10-16, 08:04 AM
top5
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CF hood and trunk would be what id aim for next. You gutted most of your trunk already, maybe a battery relocate to the trunk with an odyssey battery, then shaving your bay with extra space. Thats always a fun DIY.
Old 05-10-16, 09:03 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
If you have another idea about saving weight (besides brake rotors/calipers), please let me know!
Skip the french fries and have a salad for lunch?
Old 05-10-16, 10:21 AM
06350F
Lead Lap

Would you like to sell the black seats?
Old 05-10-16, 01:35 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Hey, I'm on board with this project!

You know from my lightweight battery project it might not be as simple as replacing the stock battery with something smaller and lighter
After I read your thread and saw the weight-savings, it was a no brainer!

Originally Posted by redspencer
You might find additional ideas from the IS-F folks that you can use for your weight reduction project:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...reduction.html

Your new driver seat looks great. If you get a matching passenger side one, you'd have a very OEM look.
Thanks for the link! I'll look into it soon.

That was the plan; but I think I'll just save that money and put it into any weigh-saving part.

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Also you mentioned the front wheels, but didn't say anything about the back. A set of light 17, or even 16 inch wheels along with a set of drag radials might be the way to get the et you are after.
The rear wheels would be 15" Vision "drag" wheels with 275/50/15 MT DRs. Slight weight savings; mainly for traction off the line...especially if I add juice later via this kit :

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/15004-...-methanol.html

Originally Posted by badx33
Y'all know this is up my alley when it comes to weight reduction..lol That seat looks very nice man... definitely get a passenger seat to match. I would like to correct some of the weight info you posted. The OEM spare tire alone is 30lbs and OEM seats are 63lbs. OEM headers are 11.2lbs each. PPE headers came in at 9.6lbs. Stock cat- back exhaust was 40lbs. Stock battery is 40lbs. Stock trunk 24lbs. Stock suspension front was 27lbs and the rear was 30lbs. I hope this info helps..
Thanks for the more exact figures! I totally forgot about the suspension component weight savings too! Anyone know what the BCRs weigh?

Originally Posted by top5
CF hood and trunk would be what id aim for next. You gutted most of your trunk already, maybe a battery relocate to the trunk with an odyssey battery, then shaving your bay with extra space. Thats always a fun DIY.
A CF hood isn't much less than the factory aluminum hood; I'd rather spend the money somewhere else. Extra 2-ga wire is heavy; I'll be keeping mine under the hood for now.

Originally Posted by Bichon
Skip the french fries and have a salad for lunch?
My strategy is to always take a good dump before heading off to the track.

Originally Posted by 06350F
Would you like to sell the black seats?
No, sorry.
Old 05-15-16, 12:48 AM
gt500tony
Rookie

Default Weight saving for 2006 to 2013 rwd is350

Hey gville.

i did a semi super small write up on is350 weight reduction. I'll help you here. I want you breaking records.

Basically. How hard core are you wanting to go? First is this strictly a track car? Or are you just wanting a tiny bit lighter dailly driver thats still LEGAL. Taking out glass and air bags etc etc can cause your car to become illegal for road use. Or fail inspections.

If you don't care and have a lax county or this will be a track car i can help you. I suggest going with a roll cage even if you dont want to. But heck ive dailyed gutted cars no roll cage with racing seat that doesn't recline. Its a sickness.

still mostly road legal----
Alot can be taken out. Alot borders on road illegality. If you want a ''road'' legal car. Go no a/c. One seat(buy a kirkey racing seat). Gutted trunk. Light rims. coilovers. No radio or gps or speakers. No center console. No carpet. Pay for carbon hood and trunk or shave the oem aluminum. DONE. Heck thats to hardcore for most.

Track car/no care/not road legal---,
Air conditioner. Front and rear support beams from front and rear bumpers. You can lexan swap all the glass. Remove dash and air bags. Have gauges installed so you can read mph and gas gauge. Remove carpet.
Get dry ice and remove tar insulation. Remove all speakers. Remove speaker assembly. Remove headliner. Create a plug for your sunroof and ditch the sunroof assembly.
Remove every seat except driver seat. Any interior cladding can go meaning plastics in the interior. You can shave metal from the hood and trunk. Or pay for carbon hood and trunk. You can also gut the doors. Leave the locks intact hanging with zip ties lexans permanent in stationary place anyways. You can get a aftermarket steering wheel no airbag. Id say find out what emissions can go away if track car. Make sure it doesn't become detrimental to performance when removing emissions equipment. Lexus sucks that way in that tampering with obd2 devices can hurt performance.

The car will look like bare metal on the inside a single seat with wires that you can stream line tape with gorilla tape. The car will be VERY light. With ppe headers and custom exhaust with cai. Id say she will go.

You will need extensive suspension mods i.E coilovers and negative camber. You could die if you dont. Many guys who gut their cars wreck very often as they dont realize they changed vehicle handling dynamics . A completely gutted 350z for instance is 68/32. Bad for rwd.

Let me know if you need any help or have questions. I barely come on this site anymore or really any forum. Im a grouchy old Asian man lol.

But i been gutting cars forever. Gutted quite a few foxbody to 21XXlbs. 380hp 351 forged bottom windsor plus three stage nitrous 250 wet shot.

Last edited by gt500tony; 05-15-16 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-15-16, 08:11 AM
Gville350

^Thanks for the post and info. I should have stated to start that I'm keeping the car as my daily; so I NEED my A/C here in SC and I NEED my audio system cuz I jam out every time I'm out on the road.

My previous car was a gutted 400whp '92 Civic VX hatchback; 2000lbs with me in it, so I'm familiar with the extent one can go on weigh reduction. But I'm limited by keeping most of the DD-comforts and keeping it safe. Plus I by no means have an endless budget; so I'm doing this all on the "cheap".

Keeping all what I've previously mentioned on what I've planned to do, I'm sure I'll meet my goals at the drag strip. So I'm excited and looking forward to what can happen with this near 11yr old Lexus!
Old 05-15-16, 06:24 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

gt500tony reminded me, under the back bumper cover, in the foam absorber there is a piece of steel tubing. 52151 from the diagram below. Weighs a pound or two. Mine "disappeared" 18 months or so ago. I've still got mine somewhere if you want me to get a picture for you.

Old 05-16-16, 02:44 AM
gt500tony
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Thanks for the post and info. I should have stated to start that I'm keeping the car as my daily; so I NEED my A/C here in SC and I NEED my audio system cuz I jam out every time I'm out on the road.

My previous car was a gutted 400whp '92 Civic VX hatchback; 2000lbs with me in it, so I'm familiar with the extent one can go on weigh reduction. But I'm limited by keeping most of the DD-comforts and keeping it safe. Plus I by no means have an endless budget; so I'm doing this all on the "cheap".

Keeping all what I've previously mentioned on what I've planned to do, I'm sure I'll meet my goals at the drag strip. So I'm excited and looking forward to what can happen with this near 11yr old Lexus!
I think you'll be happy with your results.
Keep in mind static vs dynamic weight reduction.

Wheels. Brakes. Coilovers etc etc etc. A car can weigh 2900lbs but kinda perform like a 2600lb car. Its confusing boring stuff. I can do a long write up on it..... But meh.
Google works fine. Lol

Quick Reply: My 2IS weight reduction project is underway!