Megan Midpipe CA Smog?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-16, 04:49 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Megan Midpipe CA Smog?

Hey guys,

Is the Megan midpipe CA smog legal? I have to smog my car soon and im worried I wont pass. Also doesnt help that I dont have my stock midpipe anymore... dont ask.

Will I still pass with this or is too modified compared to a stock mid to pass? It has the cats still but I think they are different (hi flow I believe) than stock ones.

Thanks
Old 04-16-16, 04:51 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Megan Midpipe CA Smog?-midpipe_li0625.jpg

Here is a picture of the Megan midpipe
Old 04-16-16, 05:35 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

almost sure you will pass. if not it shouldnt be hard to find a shop that will pass you,,
Old 04-16-16, 05:49 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Parsa
almost sure you will pass. if not it shouldnt be hard to find a shop that will pass you,,
I hope so. Im just worried because its my first smog with this car. 2 years of proud onwership have come by waaaay too fast

I have Joe Z intake, F sport air box, Megan midpipe, and Tsudo Axelback with the resonator deleted. Thats also why im worried I wont pass. The stock intake I still have and will put on for the test. But my stock mid pipe and exhaust are gone...
Old 04-16-16, 06:00 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

save yourself the time of installing oem intake and $$ for a secon test if you fail the first

if you get your oil done at independent shop ask the owner if he knows a smog place that's a little lenient on mods. the place i get my oil done works on a lot of high end euro cars and he told me not to sweat it he knows a guy - as they all do. no way in hell do those cars pass smog
Old 04-16-16, 06:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Smogged my '08 at a Lexus Dealership with Megan Mid and F-Sport intake this past October, passed with flying colors
Old 04-16-16, 08:06 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the help guys. I feel reassured that ill pass now. Well hopefully anyway...

As for the intake , im still gonna swap my stock rubber hose back on though, since I dont have a CARB sticker. This way they wont even question it. Only takes me about 10 minutes tops anyway lol.
Old 04-18-16, 02:09 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll pass smog with the midpipes due to still maintaining the primary cats. However, if they put your car up on a lift to do a visual inspection, you may be SOL.
Old 04-18-16, 05:33 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

You won't have any problem at all cause they don't use roller anymore. Simply your ODBII report everything so.... not a problem.
Old 04-19-16, 03:59 AM
redsun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will pass the sniffer mine passed with invidia midpipe but it will fail the visual. The smog place i took mine to told me it should fail since it dosent have the secondary cats but the guy was cool and said since it passed the sniffer i was good to go.
Old 04-21-16, 01:23 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

UPDATE

I did NOT pass Smog!!! This is such bs im so freakin pissed off right now. I no longer have my stock mid and I have no idea what im supposed to do right now

The car passed everything fine just not the visual because the guy decided he wanted to be an ***hole. The car has cats whats the big freakin deal!??
Old 04-21-16, 01:28 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

really? he looked at the midpipe? i have oem mid laying around if you wana come pick it up to use it and return it...
Old 04-21-16, 01:31 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

really? he looked at the midpipe? i have oem mid laying around if you wana come pick it up to use it and return it...
Yeah he said it passed but because he cant get a CARB number I cant pass. Same for the Joe Z pipe which I am now switching back with my stock. Im about to go to a different shop thats a little more leniant on the visual but if not, then yeah id really appreciate borrowing your mid pipe.
Old 04-21-16, 02:22 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Do you happen to live in Nor Cal?
Old 04-21-16, 03:57 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

UPDATE 2

I called Megab Racing and asked about the Mid pipe having smog issues and apparently they are not CA smog legal. Or any of their parts for that matter...

I really wish I would have known this before hand. I thought the reason the Megan was a better choice over Invidia was because it kept its secondary cats. But since its still not Smog legal in CA ik starting to think I should have just saved my money and went for Invidia

Although I will admit I love my sound. The midpipe gives a very nice deep sophisticated sound but damn it I just wish I would have gone back for my stock Mid when I had the chance at the shop I left it at.

Now im stuck facing the consequences for my stupid actions. Im so pissed off at myself right now! Especially since im in the middle of finally buying my wheels

Quick Reply: Megan Midpipe CA Smog?