IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlights low

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-16, 12:19 AM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jjc250
Sorry if I've missed something but don't our headlights with HID from factory come with auto leveling?
yes, but if the sensors are off or the leveling arm is off they will make it aim poorly...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...e-nf210-s.html
Old 04-21-16, 08:39 AM
sparta3993
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zmon
Maybe I missed it, but are your lows OEM HID or a PnP kit? They appear to be OEM to me, but you'll have to confirm.
Oem I think. Bought the car second hand so im not really sure im going to adjust them tonight. And send you guys pictures again. From lastnights drive I noticed the light is doubleing there are two cutt offs.
Old 04-21-16, 09:04 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sparta3993
Oem I think. Bought the car second hand so im not really sure im going to adjust them tonight. And send you guys pictures again. From lastnights drive I noticed the light is doubleing there are two cutt offs.
If it's possible, take a video of you turning the car on while parked in from of a wall. Curious to see the cutoff and how long it takes for the bulbs to fire up.
Old 04-21-16, 04:22 PM
sparta3993
Driver

Maybe I missed it, but are your lows OEM HID or a PnP kit? They appear to be OEM to me, but you'll have to confirm.
Found this baby hiding under the intake. Same one on the other side,
Attached Thumbnails Headlights low-image.jpeg  
Old 04-21-16, 06:05 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Are those the ballasts for your aftermarket HID fog lights, or do you have aftermarket headlights too?
Old 04-21-16, 07:12 PM
sparta3993
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Are those the ballasts for your aftermarket HID fog lights, or do you have aftermarket headlights too?
Don't know bought the car used.

I was going to buy a m3 and only settle for this because of the milage. I have no clue what the previous owner had done to the lights.

On second note while doing some investigation I found out one of my hid high beams is burnt? or what ever that is.

Where can I buy some decently prices HID bulb?

Oh and how can I remove the shudder. I noticed that When my lights on against the wall If I run my finger down the light. It only starts blocking it at half way.
Attached Thumbnails Headlights low-unnamed-2.jpg   Headlights low-unnamed-1.jpg   Headlights low-unnamed.jpg  
Old 04-21-16, 07:44 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

If those are going to the lows, then someone put aftermarket HIDS in. I see two scenarios here, bulbs and/or ballasts are super old or complete junk and need to be changed, or, the cheap bulbs are putting out too much UV and damaging your projector bowls. IMO, I'd just put halogens back in there (size should be h11). That is if those ballasts are going to the lows. As for the high beam bulbs, those just look like regular halogen bulbs tinted yellow. I'd just throw any old Sylvania bulb in there and call it a day. Bulb size is 9005.

I'd still like to see a picture of your lights on a wall @ 25 feet. Any light colored wall will do.
Old 04-21-16, 08:22 PM
sparta3993
Driver

If those are going to the lows, then someone put aftermarket HIDS in. I see two scenarios here, bulbs and/or ballasts are super old or complete junk and need to be changed, or, the cheap bulbs are putting out too much UV and damaging your projector bowls. IMO, I'd just put halogens back in there (size should be h11). That is if those ballasts are going to the lows. As for the high beam bulbs, those just look like regular halogen bulbs tinted yellow. I'd just throw any old Sylvania bulb in there and call it a day. Bulb size is 9005.

I'd still like to see a picture of your lights on a wall @ 25 feet. Any light colored wall will do.
alright thats good to know. The yellow is a halogen? thought it was a HID. I know absolutely nothing about lights. Everything else is thumbs up lights nope.

Ill get those pictures in literally a minute from the post you sent me earlier in the week at 25 feet.

And how about those shutters can they be removed? Or the ballast turned up somehow?

cheers
Old 04-21-16, 09:27 PM
sparta3993
Driver

Videos

Wow did I have to trim the crap out of that video.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
lexus low beams.mov (4.10 MB, 86 views)
File Type: mov
Lexus fogs and high beam.mov (3.25 MB, 53 views)
Old 04-21-16, 09:43 PM
Zmon
Racer

Can you get the drivers side adjusted upwards? It's really hard to see how that side is doing. Just take a picture of them on the wall after having them on for about 20 seconds, they should be fully warmed up by then.

That slight color flicker throws me off a bit, can you see where those ballasts you found lead to? I'd really like to know if they're going to your low beams or not.
Old 04-21-16, 10:12 PM
sparta3993
Driver

Can you get the drivers side adjusted upwards? It's really hard to see how that side is doing. Just take a picture of them on the wall after having them on for about 20 seconds, they should be fully warmed up by then.

That slight color flicker throws me off a bit, can you see where those ballasts you found lead to? I'd really like to know if they're going to your low beams or not.

Well I just royally ****ed up. I got the passenger side a littler higher... got driver side to match.. Screwed it one extra turn to call it good. then the whole thing dropped or seemed to have dropped. The passenger side perfect now the drivers side... points literally at the floor infront..

How do you fix it now...

Old 04-22-16, 09:13 AM
sparta3993
Driver

Well I just royally ****ed up. I got the passenger side a littler higher... got driver side to match.. Screwed it one extra turn to call it good. then the whole thing dropped or seemed to have dropped. The passenger side perfect now the drivers side... points literally at the floor infront..

How do you fix it now...

Update: Took off bumper, took out light. took out Xenon. with difficulty placed ( ball attached to bolt) back into its joint. Zip tied the joint with great difficulty. Put everything back to gather. Now these are the lights.

I think my passenger beam is too high now.
Attached Thumbnails Headlights low-img_0002.jpg   Headlights low-img_0003.jpg  
Old 04-22-16, 09:47 AM
Zmon
Racer

The hotspot on the drivers side looks a bit off. Can you remount the bulb?
Old 04-22-16, 10:11 AM
sparta3993
Driver

The hotspot on the drivers side looks a bit off. Can you remount the bulb?
what does that mean? hot spot is off? Is there a certain way to mount the bulb because doing anything to do with the driver side head lights is a pain whole thing has to come out.
Old 04-23-16, 06:16 PM
Zmon
Racer

what does that mean? hot spot is off? Is there a certain way to mount the bulb because doing anything to do with the driver side head lights is a pain whole thing has to come out.
See the white hotspot on those pictures? The passenger side is like a half oval under the cutoff, which is how it should be.... The driver side looks a tad bit off to me, like the hotspot is expanding the width of the beam. Maybe it's how the IS projectors are, I haven't really taken a look at mine.

Did you ever look to see if those ballasts you found go to your low beams or not?

Quick Reply: Headlights low