IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Affordable Quality Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 09:01 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Affordable Quality Wheels?

Hey guys, so Im a novice in the aftermarket wheel scene and Im finally (FINALLY) gonna purchase some wheels. Hopefully by the end of next month at the latest. I know ive made a few threads about this subject already, claiming I found my wheel of choic but damn it I didnt think it would be this damn hard to choose a wheel.

Im keeping my wheel budget to under $2k for wheels alone and wanted to know what are some good quality reputable wheel brands for the money? I was recommended Enkei and thought I wanted the Raijins in 19's but decided I wanna keep an open mind and look around more.

Only problem is I dont know of any other reputable brands that sell quality affordabls wheels like Enkei does. Any help guys? I wanna avoid buying wheels from any unknown, cheap or relatively new brands such as Varrstoen or the like. And would prefer a brand that has a good rep for making a nice quality wheel, such as Enkei which has been around for many many years and has made a name for itself.

Please advise guys. Im open to all suggestions at the moment. Oh and as a side note I was dead set on buying some Work CR emotions but after considering just how much money I would be throwing around for just the wheels ($2500) I decided to not do so. Which is why I am asking you guys for your help...

Thanks
Old 04-13-16, 09:46 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

niche , rohana
Old 04-13-16, 10:03 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Forgestar, Avant Garde, Linea Corse, MRR Ground Force, ETC.... Just look in the aftermarket wheel thread plenty of wheels to see.
Old 04-13-16, 10:05 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lysis250
Forgestar, Avant Garde, Linea Corse, MRR Ground Force, ETC.... Just look in the aftermarket wheel thread plenty of wheels to see.
Yeah true.. I have looked and seen some pretty interesting ones. But I was hoping for some more brands to look at. Or if anyone can share their experience on a wheel brand that they could or would recommend. Also are any of those brands "established". Or are they new and upcoming brands like I see everywhere at car meets that I have never heard of. I wanna try and get something with a good reputation.
Old 04-14-16, 12:55 AM
TopNotchIN
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll throw out there TSW wheels. I have personally owned a few sets over the years on a variety of vehicles. They are high quality IMO and have withstood potholes well. The only downside is their design selection is limited and they tend to be on the heavy side. Good luck on your search!
Old 04-14-16, 12:59 AM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

have you look into used wheels? i know new wheels are quite expensive if u are going for big brands like Rays, BBS, Work, SSR, ADVAN, etc... but sometimes u can find amazing deals in used wheels not just here in Club Lexus but other car forums like G35 forums etc...

but anyways i had experience with Motegi Racing... i bought it used and cheap cuz i need wheels for snow tires for my old sentra spec v.. imo they were pretty good just kinda rice looking until i repainted it... Motegi had been around for awhile as seen on many ricers with MR7s lol..

Last edited by 604GSE21; 04-14-16 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 06:46 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've owned a set of Avant Garde M310 but not for long because I totaled my car, but for the 2k+ miles I put on them they drove nice and I hit some nasty pot holes in the Bay Area and nothing happened. I would get a set again if I didn't have my Linea Corse already.
Old 04-14-16, 07:10 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
have you look into used wheels? i know new wheels are quite expensive if u are going for big brands like Rays, BBS, Work, SSR, ADVAN, etc... but sometimes u can find amazing deals in used wheels not just here in Club Lexus but other car forums like G35 forums etc...

but anyways i had experience with Motegi Racing... i bought it used and cheap cuz i need wheels for snow tires for my old sentra spec v.. imo they were pretty good just kinda rice looking until i repainted it... Motegi had been around for awhile as seen on many ricers with MR7s lol..
Yeah ive looked around. But they usually dont have the size or spec I want or theres some sort of catch like theyre curbed or damaged in one way or another. I know there are great deals and im keeping an eye out for them everyday. But thanks for the suggestion of looking at other forums, I never thought of that honestly. Will check it out. If not then I dont mind getting a nice set of brand new wheels from some one else
Old 04-14-16, 07:12 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lysis250
I've owned a set of Avant Garde M310 but not for long because I totaled my car, but for the 2k+ miles I put on them they drove nice and I hit some nasty pot holes in the Bay Area and nothing happened. I would get a set again if I didn't have my Linea Corse already.
Ive heard of Avant Garde before too.. are they a well known brand for good wheels? I also was checking out the Linea Corse owners thread over here on ClubLexus too and Im really liking the Lemans and LC818. So those are definitely options on the table..

Are they a good light and strong wheel though? Like are they "flow formed, flow forged, etc."? Or are they just basic cast wheels? Thats kind of a deal breaker right there...
Old 04-14-16, 01:17 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Are you more leaning toward a strong wheel vs a nice looking one? Also, do you want 18s or 19s for sure...or are you flexible? What offset are you wanting, near factory or something closer to the "flush" look?
Old 04-14-16, 03:42 PM
redsun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the specs you want. You can buy a 2 or 3 piece wheel used and relip them to wider or narrower. Threepieceus and vrwheels might have something that fits your personal taste and budget. Also consider if you get a 2 or 3 piece wheel cheap but in rough condition you can refinish the faces and relip them to get rid of curb rash or other imperfections. wheelflip and wheel ***** (socal) both good places to look for used wheels. If your patient you can find works, weds, rays, ssr for a good price.
Old 04-15-16, 10:48 PM
jay350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Ive heard of Avant Garde before too.. are they a well known brand for good wheels? I also was checking out the Linea Corse owners thread over here on ClubLexus too and Im really liking the Lemans and LC818. So those are definitely options on the table..

Are they a good light and strong wheel though? Like are they "flow formed, flow forged, etc."? Or are they just basic cast wheels? Thats kind of a deal breaker right there...

I ran 2 sets of linea corse and I didn't like the quality of it the paint finish is not so great that the edge of the wheel starts peeling off after just a few weeks not talking about the face of the wheel it's the round edge of the wheel where it suppose to cover by tires but not since we r running stretched. And I cracked both set of the wheel I know all wheels cracks but for some reason linea corse brand wheel crack fairly easily.
Old 04-15-16, 11:05 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jay350
I ran 2 sets of linea corse and I didn't like the quality of it the paint finish is not so great that the edge of the wheel starts peeling off after just a few weeks not talking about the face of the wheel it's the round edge of the wheel where it suppose to cover by tires but not since we r running stretched. And I cracked both set of the wheel I know all wheels cracks but for some reason linea corse brand wheel crack fairly easily.
Thanks for the input, after speaking with Wheeldude it looks like in order to even get the Linea Corse lc818 or Lemans in the color I would want , I would need to wait about 2-3 months after placing order ... no thanks. I also found out they are just simply gravity cast wheels that way weigh basically the same as stock OEM wheels. So that along with the wait time was a deal breaker for sure.

Im still looking around at the moment and trying to keep an open mind to brands I may have dismissed before. At the moment I got me eyes on some TSW Bathurst in Gloss Gunmetal which I find to be really nice looking. And they are also Rotary Forged so theyre stronger and lighter than stock wheels (about 20.5 lbs for 19's front and 22 lbs rear) not bad at all IMO.

Any other brands guys? I prefer if the wheels is Rotary Forged or Flow Formed or whatever they wanna call there process. As long as they are not traditional heavy cast wheels. Thanks again guys, your help is greatly appreciated in my search for my first wheels
Old 04-15-16, 11:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Bought a set of dealer accessory 18 inch "spyder" wheels for my SC300 for $800 off ebay, new in box. Can't beat that for an OEM wheel. Of course I'm not really into the whole "hella-flush" crap, or wanting a crazy/different offset. As you can see the car is still stock ride height, fit was perfect.

Old 04-16-16, 07:03 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Forgestar CF10s or Forgestar F10Ds?

Last edited by Gville350; 04-16-16 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Affordable Quality Wheels?