IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight Oxidation/Buildup..What to do.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 09:25 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Oxidation/Buildup..What to do.

All cars get the hazy nasty oxidation build up from dirt/sun/scratches, now I have taken my car twice in 9 years to a shop to get them buffed up and nice and pretty again, but I also have tried the "Wipe New" stuff but they dont come up as clean as the shop...What methods are you guys doing to get rid of the haze and what are you using to seal it back up?
Old 04-07-16, 10:47 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I keep my car as clean as possible so my headlight stay good as well.
Old 04-08-16, 06:12 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I have used
this this
without problems. I am about to use it on my is350 then apply a vinyl over the headlight so I can just replace the vinyl when it looks scuffed up instead of having to go through polishing it again.
Old 04-08-16, 06:15 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I use Novus 2 plastic polish to clear the haze from my headlights. It's quick and easy to apply, so I do it every few months. I too would like to find a durable protectant to use once they are clear, but all I've been able to find are silicon based products that posters on the Internet say don't last long.

Originally Posted by whitebeast
I keep my car as clean as possible so my headlight stay good as well.
Aren't your headlights less than a year old? New headlights have a factory applied UV coating to prevent haze that usually lasts for years.
Old 04-08-16, 06:56 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

After you get the headlights cleaned (by watever means you use to get the best results) add a clear protector film to the head lights. This will ensure your headlights stay clean in the future.
Old 04-08-16, 07:18 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I use a product called Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer. I got it at autozone. It is a buffing compound. And as others have all ready said, you need to coat the lens afterwards with a UV resistant clear coat.
Old 04-08-16, 07:20 AM
axis77
Lead Lap

do these methods remove the haze buildup and what appears to me is the yellowing of the lense..
Old 04-08-16, 07:27 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Oxidation makes the plastic lens look yellow. What you need to use depends on how bad the oxidation is. Look at a 10 year old Chrysler product. You have to sand those things with 2000 grit sandpaper first.
Old 04-08-16, 07:37 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

What I've been trying to find is someone who has positive experience and with what make/type of clear vinyl overlay. I find there is still allot of 'confusion' with the sealing part of headlight restoration.
Old 04-08-16, 09:13 AM
Don Nguyen
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can supply you the clear film for the head lights if you want to seal the head lights in after polishing/restoring them.

Let me know.

-Don
Old 04-08-16, 09:48 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used different products and the reason for it happening often is that the clear on it is faded or no longer present. So there's 3 options;
1) Purchase new lights - too expensive unless u have $$$$ to burn
2) Continue using the same products on the market - pain in the **** cause you will apply it every couple of months, BUT inexpensive
3) Wet sand, polish, clear coat - Cheap, time consuming, but you won't have to touch it for years
Old 04-08-16, 10:40 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by srt1
3) Wet sand, polish, clear coat - Cheap, time consuming, but you won't have to touch it for years
Unless the headlights are in absolutely horrible condition, I think wet sanding is overkill. As I said, earlier, Novus 2 clears things up nicely. These are my 10 1/2 year old OEM headlights after a five minute polish with Novus.

What kind of clear coat product are you referring to? While it's no big deal to do the Novus thing every few months, it would be nice to apply a product that kept them looking great for a few years.
Old 04-08-16, 10:56 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After wet sanding 3 times within three years, my headlights have flakes now (small cracks) & are so yellow.

Thanks to the detailers who sand without informing me this is a short term treatment that removes the protection layer.
Old 04-08-16, 11:16 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Any plastic polish with microfiber pad will do. Do about 2 coats by hand and it will look pretty good for a couple months. But the key is to seal it with a clear coat. I just saw meguiars has a new system which lasts up to a year they say. Its basically a plastic polish followed up with a clear coat spray. Im going to give it a shot.
Old 04-08-16, 01:11 PM
ColdFusion
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Excellent guide here:

http://imgur.com/a/DUpmh

Note: If you wet-sand, you HAVE to protect it with a plastic protector, otherwise after time it will revert to becoming yellow and hazy. The yellowness comes from UV light from the sun changing the properties of the plastic within the headlight; I forgot what the material is called, but automakers use a cheaper plastic due to cost, and it reacts to UV light over time to become hazy.

Quick Reply: Headlight Oxidation/Buildup..What to do.