IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto-opening Trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 10:45 AM
thejbgc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-opening Trunk?

I have an 07 IS350. I love it, but I hate how the trunk operates. My friend has a 2011 Toyota carolla. When he "pops" his trunk, it opens all the way. Very useful if both of your hands are full due to carrying many groceries, boxes, etc. The trunk lid is considerably lighter compared to my Lexus trunk lid so this is understandable but it would be very useful.

I've looked at aftermarket struts / shocks but can't seem to find any that would swing it open 100% just by pressing the release button on my remote or in the car without me having to lift a muscle.

I've searched the forums and haven't seen any previous post regarding this, if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-05-16, 10:54 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

It's because of the extra weight on our trunks that doesn't allow it to just pop up like that. The 07 Camry I had before this IS was the same way with the trunk, the spoiler was too heavy and wouldn't lift it up while one without the spoiler would lift up. You could do something like this to get it to pop up: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...runk-lift.html

For myself, I'd rather it not automatically pop up.. What if it's pouring out (although most people probably wouldn't open it in this situation)? What if I accidentally hit my trunk button on the remote while walking away somewhere? Though, I do see the usefulness of it if you're carrying something heavy.
Old 04-05-16, 11:04 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh man that would be nice. I have a wald spoiler molded into the trunk. Thats like another 20-25lbs or more lmao
Old 04-05-16, 12:18 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
What if I accidentally hit my trunk button on the remote while walking away somewhere?
Agreed, this has actually happened to me. I've come back to the car, and found the "trunk open" warning on the display. Fortunately you couldn't tell the trunk was unlatched just by looking at it.
Old 04-05-16, 05:31 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You could rig something aftermarket up if you really wanted; but I personally like the current way the trunk shocks operate. Now, a Merc-like auto-up and auto-down command would be cool.

Here's a CHEAP DIY that may or may not work due to the shocks our trunk uses :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Adjusta...-/121239744578
Old 04-09-16, 08:37 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

subbed. I WANT THIS!!! I have done some casual searching around and considered it may be possible with this. My dream is if it could work with the OEM trunk buttons.

http://www.ballsrodandkustom.com/ind...ct_detail&p=34

http://www.ballsrodandkustom.com/ind...ct_detail&p=94
Old 02-15-21, 01:14 PM
flj0303
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 IS 250 Trunk life lifter supports

Has anyone ever figured this out? I have a 2010 Lexus IS250 (well, my wife does), In the covid-19 world of curbside pickup, the trunk would unhook from the remote or inside the car but does not "pop" open even an inch. Some stores (notably the grocery store she goes to near the house, will not touch the trunk lid before putting in the grocery bags. the trunk opens fine, you just have to "help" it a little once it's unlatched. So I went to Rock Auto, bought new lift supports, took out the old ones, did not decapitate myself while doing so. It was maybe 25 minute job, not that hard except for compressing the struts to get them in. So I got them both in, popped the trunk..and...... absolutely no change, maybe opened a 1/4 of an inch more. So you still have to hope the curbside people are willing to pull it just a little (I admit it does come up a little more smoothly by hand now), but usually she has to go to the far reaches of the parking lot, open the trunk 3-4 inches and then go to the pickup area. Who knew this would be a problem before 2020. As an aside, I have a 2015 Acura TLX and it opens great..pops up about 6-8 inches, so the curbside people know it's open. Anyone else have a solution..?
Old 02-15-21, 03:00 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Perhaps replace the springs. Good luck.
Old 02-16-21, 08:07 AM
flj0303
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
thanks, it's not that it will not open, it just does not pop up more than an inch or two. opens fine if you lift it with your hands. I just wondered if this is a standard thing with the lexus trunk lids, being heavier than most. I've seen posts that the toyota trunks pop up higher. Putting in new struts did make it a bit easier, but there are no springs involved.
Old 02-17-21, 06:03 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

It's the model that doesn't have it. My IS250 "pops" just like yours. My LS460 goes all the way up when you release it.
Old 02-18-21, 02:44 PM
flj0303
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Protholl
It's the model that doesn't have it. My IS250 "pops" just like yours. My LS460 goes all the way up when you release it.
Thanks for the reply. It was never a big deal until Covid and curbside pickups ! Who knew that would be an issue. I've read other places that it's the model and scraping my knuckles replacing struts was just an exercise in "I wonder if I can do that"... I guess I'll just have to run a cord over the roof to the trunk lid and my wife can yank it up when she picks up my wine at the store..!
Old 02-18-21, 04:45 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Or space them down, increasing the tension. Don't blame us if they break.
The following users liked this post:
TimboIS (03-17-21)
Old 02-18-21, 05:55 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

I've never had an issue with curbside pickups. Just mash the button to release the lid and the kind folks of (walmart/target/publix/totalwines/others) know to just lift the lid themselves when they hear the click. I've picked up groceries at Walmart twice without issue in my IS while I was working on my LS. Wait until they get close to the trunk lid then hit the button a couple times and they will figure it out.

Be safe and covid-free!

Jeffrey
Old 02-19-21, 09:56 AM
flj0303
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Protholl
I've never had an issue with curbside pickups. Just mash the button to release the lid and the kind folks of (walmart/target/publix/totalwines/others) know to just lift the lid themselves when they hear the click. I've picked up groceries at Walmart twice without issue in my IS while I was working on my LS. Wait until they get close to the trunk lid then hit the button a couple times and they will figure it out.

Be safe and covid-free!

Jeffrey
Yes, you are right about the nice folks at most of those places. For some reason, the local Harris Teeter grocery has decided touching the trunk lid will somehow contaminate them or you. Pretty dumb since they are touching the grocery bags already, but that's their new rule. Anyway, the point of the original question was just to see if others had the same issue with the lid not popping up a few inches. And one person suggested doing something to the struts or their attachments. I'm not going to do that. I just wondered if the strut force is just not enough to POP the trunk up 4-5 inches like it is in other vehicles. Not to worry, I'll just live with it, or rather, my wife will. If it was me, I'd just go open it further...! Sometimes we need to listen to her though... Thanks for the reply however !!
Old 02-19-21, 12:33 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by flj0303
For some reason, the local Harris Teeter grocery has decided touching the trunk lid will somehow contaminate them or you.
If her car had strong gas-charged struts that could pop the lid open by itself, wouldn't the Harris Teeter folks still need to touch the trunk lid to close it?

Quick Reply: Auto-opening Trunk?