IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

PSA: DIY Replacing/Programming New TPMS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 06:28 PM
ColdFusion
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PSA: DIY Replacing/Programming New TPMS Sensors

So I've had a bit of a journey in regards to replacing the TPMS sensor for my '06 IS350, I figure I'd share what I had to go through, then how I managed to solve what seemed to be a giant PITA in just a few minutes.

My rear driver's side tire's TPMS died about a few months back, and I didn't manage to get new ones until about a month ago. I was going to get it replaced at Costco (they had an install fee of $14 + changing the tire fill to nitrogen), but they weren't able to detect a signal in either of the sensors I bought (I bought two new Denso 550-0101 sensors, one to replace the dead one, another to replace a low one should it pop up). I drove around to different shops - Discount Tire, NTB, another Costco - every single one said the TPMS sensors I bought were dead.

I called the store I bought them from, and they happily agreed to exchange my two "dead" ones with two more in their inventory - many thanks to SparkPlugs.com that sold me the two sensors. Two weeks pass, go back to Costco: guess what? They're "dead" again. After triple and quadruple checking, I told the garage tech (who, by sheer coincidence, turned out to be from my same class in high school :O) that there's no way 4 consecutive Denso OEM sensors are dead. He started to believe me, and said he could still install them in the tire, but there would be no guarantee the TPMS light would go off.

At this point I actually called Denso USA, and a tech there told me it MAY be the fact Japanese-made TPMS sensors have different frequencies than US ones, and that US TPMS detectors may not work specifically with Denso sensors. This sort of made sense, although it didn't explain why all their detectors could find and read the still-working TPMS sensors in my other tires. Both Costco and Discount Tire showed me "working" examples of the same TPMS sensor (made by Dill...WTF I don't want a pickle in my tire), and that when out of the box, their detector could still read a tire pressure of 0.

I started to lose faith, and almost folded to have it just installed at a dealership. However, after I called both a Lexus dealership ($258 to change the sensor, can't bring own sensors, yea go shove a broom stick up your *expletive*) and a Toyota dealership ($128 for the TPMS change labor), I decided there was no way I would pay highway robbery prices for replacing a $37 part.

I called a contact at a previous garage I had done work at, and lo and behold, he has a Toyota Techstream software on his laptop. I drove over and he graciously let me play around with his OBDII dongle and laptop. After I found the TPMS section, I noticed that the dead sensor did not give out a PSI, temperature, or battery level reading, and another one (later to be the driver's front) had a PSI and temp reading, but had a "Low" battery level reading.

At that point, I decided to use the Utility section and just program the new sensor ID's in (it's under the Utility section, I forgot what the tab was called though). I copied the two sensor ID's that still worked, and added the ID's of the two new sensors in place of the "Low" and "Dead" sensors.

Guess what? Both immediately showed a battery level, but no PSI and temp reading. I thanked the garage, ran back to Costco, and told them to just install my new sensors in the two tires with dead TPMS sensors. After a 3 hour wait, my tinkering paid off: my TPMS light and "Check System" prompt was gone from my dash! Afterwards I went back to my contact, and played with his Techstream a bit more. Sure enough, all 4 sensors were now registered, and all 4 showed correct PSI and temperature settings.

So, I guess TL,DR: Denso TPMS sensors (for Lexus) don't seem to be detectable by 3rd-party TPMS programmers. However, to get the sensor working (and your TPMS light off), it seems you simply need to use TechStream to program the correct sensor ID into the car, and they will activate and work properly once installed.

Hope that helps anyone else searching for a solution for replacing OEM TPMS sensors!

EDIT: @lexo98 informed me that the OEM sensors that Toyota uses are actually made by Pacific, not Denso. I checked the sensors that were pulled from the old tires and can confirm that. Sensor model # seems to be PMV-107J.

Last edited by ColdFusion; 05-30-16 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fattiresc (08-10-22)
Old 04-01-16, 06:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

sorry you had to go through all of that. I recently replaced all four of mine because of old age I replaced them with VDO sensors and Discount Tire was able to program with no issues.

Lou
Old 04-01-16, 06:39 PM
ColdFusion
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flowrider
sorry you had to go through all of that. I recently replaced all four of mine because of old age I replaced them with VDO sensors and Discount Tire was able to program with no issues.

Lou
I'm personally a sucker for matching OEM stuff, so I'm glad I got it down in the end
sbryant324 (06-06-19)
Old 04-03-16, 07:23 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know Techstream can write the hexidecimal ID code from any OEM or aftermarket 315 mHz sensors. I personally have both OEM and VDO TPMS in my car and I programmed them myself with techstream, works flawlessly.

GBean (04-24-20)
Old 04-04-16, 11:12 AM
katsu50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing! I was wondering what I was going to do with my TPMS situation when I put on aftermarket wheels and this answered whatever questions I had.
Old 05-30-16, 08:56 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdFusion
I'm personally a sucker for matching OEM stuff, so I'm glad I got it down in the end
Denso is an OEM sensor? I think they are OEM replacement. They use wordplay to say aftermarket. I would highly recommend the Dill replacements next time around. Glad you got it figured out though
Old 05-30-16, 09:30 AM
ColdFusion
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexo98
Denso is an OEM sensor? I think they are OEM replacement. They use wordplay to say aftermarket. I would highly recommend the Dill replacements next time around. Glad you got it figured out though
My mistake, they are indeed made by Pacific. Updated the OP to signify that, thanks
Old 05-30-16, 10:56 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I had mine correctly setup at Discount Tire. The key was having them use the "import" or "Toyota" adapter, so the sensors could correctly communication with their device. Took two visits; but luckily their was a smart guy there the second time that mentioned needing to use that adapter.
Old 06-03-16, 04:54 AM
Snaiks
Driver School Candidate

So it looks all tpms sensors started acting out. Looks like 10 years was a good life span.
My gs430 06 started with the check system light a few weeks ago and it looks like it is the sensors that are failing.
As. I leave overseas is there any you guys would recommend I get? I have a us version but don't know which Sensors to get as the ones I saw On eBay did not state they would work for a 06 gs430, but they will work for a 2007.
Can you guys recommend a part number so I CA. Look for

Thanks in advance
Old 06-03-16, 03:54 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does this work with 07?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Set...tVeydr&vxp=mtr
Old 07-15-16, 11:13 AM
yllwneck86
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

My TPMS and Check Systems light came on a few days ago. I had a shop check my tires and came to find out that the sensor in my rear passenger side wheel went out. The shop installed a sensor made from Dill and told me the light should go away after 50 miles of driving. It's been past the 50 mile mark, should I take it back to the shop or take it to the lexus dealership?
Old 07-15-16, 12:07 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by yllwneck86
My TPMS and Check Systems light came on a few days ago. I had a shop check my tires and came to find out that the sensor in my rear passenger side wheel went out. The shop installed a sensor made from Dill and told me the light should go away after 50 miles of driving. It's been past the 50 mile mark, should I take it back to the shop or take it to the lexus dealership?
Take it to the shop. Let them make it right. If they stand behind their work, they should diagnose/replace no issues. Does the light blink at first or stay solid?

Also, these TPMS sensors seem to go out all around the same time. Maybe they didn't catch another faulty sensor.
Old 07-15-16, 02:31 PM
yllwneck86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Take it to the shop. Let them make it right. If they stand behind their work, they should diagnose/replace no issues. Does the light blink at first or stay solid?

Also, these TPMS sensors seem to go out all around the same time. Maybe they didn't catch another faulty sensor.
It blinks at first.
Old 07-20-16, 10:53 AM
yllwneck86
Driver School Candidate

Got my car back from Lexus; finds out both sensors were faulty (including the aftermarket one) and my water pump was leaking. $500 less in my pocket but no more warning lights. My extended warranty that I purchased for my car covered the water pump but not the sensors due it being a "wireless transmitted wear and tear" part.
Old 12-02-16, 11:21 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

Anyone have part numbers for the after market sensors? I'm coming up with a ton of different ones searching ebay... Also, anyone have costs of VDO sensors from Discount tire? Better to bring your own?

Quick Reply: PSA: DIY Replacing/Programming New TPMS Sensors