IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whats the deal on Stance Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 03:33 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Whats the deal on Stance Wheels?

Hey everyone, So now that Ive decided to NOT get VMRs due to my soon to be car clubs recommendations, I was recommended by them to look up Stance Wheels. Now I personally have never heard of this company before but I guess these guys have.

Does anyone know about this company or have any experience with them? Im really digging the Sf01 wheel which according to a representative I spoke to over the phone, is Rotary Forged? That suprised me honestly since the wheels arent very expensive either. What say you, ClubLexus? If these wheels are a good "legit" brand and not some so-so replica company then I will make the purchase on these in the near future.

And honestly I think that as long as these are actually Forged they should be good right? Im trying to find a good reputable company that sells nice forged wheels but without spening an arm and a leg for it like Volk's or Work's. I thought about Enkei for a while but decided they dont have the style Im looking for. I originally wanted the Raijin but now im really liking the style of the Stance Sf01 more , especially since they look very similar to the Vossen CVT which I honestly have always loved.

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 03-31-16, 04:53 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh theyre not fully forged. Only the face IIRC but they do sell full forged wheels lol
Old 03-31-16, 04:56 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Oh theyre not fully forged. Only the face IIRC but they do sell full forged wheels lol
I actually just looked into it , apparently they are Flow Formed wheels so ultimately they are not full forged like they said. I asked about forged wheels and the closest thing they have is those I guess. Flow formed is still better than traditional cast wheels though right? I wanna make sure I buy something durable and nice for a good price. If possible lol
Old 03-31-16, 07:06 PM
02camryle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was debating aswell for some wheels ....getyourwheels.com got some awesome variety of wheels...but my looks are some forgestar, avant garde, and some rohanas...not sure about talking forge wheels on those names
Old 04-01-16, 04:41 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of stance, decent company with Oem quality, mostly just rep designs of other companies.
Old 04-01-16, 12:01 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tro209
Hey everyone, So now that Ive decided to NOT get VMRs due to my soon to be car clubs recommendations, I was recommended by them to look up Stance Wheels. Now I personally have never heard of this company before but I guess these guys have.

Does anyone know about this company or have any experience with them? Im really digging the Sf01 wheel which according to a representative I spoke to over the phone, is Rotary Forged? That suprised me honestly since the wheels arent very expensive either. What say you, ClubLexus? If these wheels are a good "legit" brand and not some so-so replica company then I will make the purchase on these in the near future.

And honestly I think that as long as these are actually Forged they should be good right? Im trying to find a good reputable company that sells nice forged wheels but without spening an arm and a leg for it like Volk's or Work's. I thought about Enkei for a while but decided they dont have the style Im looking for. I originally wanted the Raijin but now im really liking the style of the Stance Sf01 more , especially since they look very similar to the Vossen CVT which I honestly have always loved.

I actually just looked into it , apparently they are Flow Formed wheels so ultimately they are not full forged like they said. I asked about forged wheels and the closest thing they have is those I guess. Flow formed is still better than traditional cast wheels though right? I wanna make sure I buy something durable and nice for a good price. If possible lol
Flow formed wheels are generally considered a halfway ground between a cast wheel and a forged wheel, a hybrid of sorts. Flow formed wheels (often also called flow forged, rim rolled, rotary forged, etc. by other brands) are actually cast wheels with specially treated barrels. You can think of the end result is something like a single piece wheel that has a cast face but forged barrel. The technology really is amazing because if harnessed properly by the wheel manufacturer, it allows for significant weight reduction without causing the price to skyrocket anywhere near the cost of a forged wheel. Just as an example of how much the flow formed manufacturing process can help save weight, this is one of our 19x8.5 V804 flow formed wheels weighing in at 20.8 Lbs:

Besides weight, wheel quality is one of the other large considerations when choosing wheels. I think we can agree that one of the most important factors to consider are the standards to which the wheels are manufactured and whether the company shows the longevity and ability to stand behind their product.

Things like JWL/VIA are widely recognized and if you want to take things a notch further, TUV is often considered one of the highest marks when it comes to wheel certifications & strength tests. At the end of the day, the main thing is not only to be happy with the style of wheels you choose, but to be confident in the safety of the product as well. Combine safety standards with load rating and you'll be able to determine whether a wheel can be trusted. To view our current TUV certifications, please check out our European dealer's site here -> http://vmrwheels.eu/certificates.html

Our advice? Look at the various styles the different brands offer and look for a company that is knowledgeable about the product they sell and stands behind it (really, advice that can be applied to any aftermarket parts purchase). We can't speak for other brands but our goal is to produce quality wheels with all the proper certifications, excessively high load ratings, and the best customer service possible, all at a reasonable prices.

Good luck on the hunt and please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything we can do for you (or any other ClubLexus users, for that matter) - we are always here to help and happy to share knowledge when we can!
Old 04-01-16, 03:37 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VMRWheels
Flow formed wheels are generally considered a halfway ground between a cast wheel and a forged wheel, a hybrid of sorts. Flow formed wheels (often also called flow forged, rim rolled, rotary forged, etc. by other brands) are actually cast wheels with specially treated barrels. You can think of the end result is something like a single piece wheel that has a cast face but forged barrel. The technology really is amazing because if harnessed properly by the wheel manufacturer, it allows for significant weight reduction without causing the price to skyrocket anywhere near the cost of a forged wheel. Just as an example of how much the flow formed manufacturing process can help save weight, this is one of our 19x8.5 V804 flow formed wheels weighing in at 20.8 Lbs:

Besides weight, wheel quality is one of the other large considerations when choosing wheels. I think we can agree that one of the most important factors to consider are the standards to which the wheels are manufactured and whether the company shows the longevity and ability to stand behind their product.

Things like JWL/VIA are widely recognized and if you want to take things a notch further, TUV is often considered one of the highest marks when it comes to wheel certifications & strength tests. At the end of the day, the main thing is not only to be happy with the style of wheels you choose, but to be confident in the safety of the product as well. Combine safety standards with load rating and you'll be able to determine whether a wheel can be trusted. To view our current TUV certifications, please check out our European dealer's site here -> http://vmrwheels.eu/certificates.html

Our advice? Look at the various styles the different brands offer and look for a company that is knowledgeable about the product they sell and stands behind it (really, advice that can be applied to any aftermarket parts purchase). We can't speak for other brands but our goal is to produce quality wheels with all the proper certifications, excessively high load ratings, and the best customer service possible, all at a reasonable prices.

Good luck on the hunt and please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything we can do for you (or any other ClubLexus users, for that matter) - we are always here to help and happy to share knowledge when we can!
Thanks for the response. Very informative answer. I do believe Flow formed wheels are a great choice personally, since they offer an overall great bang for the buck. I just dont understand why people look down on these kinds of wheels most of time. Even well known companies like BBS, Enkei and Vossen do similar processes (rotary forged etc..) But you dont hear people cry foul over them just because of their name. Oh and I understand that sometimes its okay to pay extra for the name since they have been around for a longer time, but I dont get why people call others out for buying replicas and what not. Im sure a lot of us would like to buy "legit" wheels but not all of us have the same needs. For example my car is my Daily and my only car. I dont wanna buy expensive wheels and have to deal with the fear of messing them up or having them stolen.

Not to say that I wont spend good money on wheels , because believe me I will. But im not spending $3k on wheels alone sans tires etc .. maybe for a strictly show car only kind of thing then yeah why not, but for a daily driver that I've put over 45k miles in in a little under 2 years? Nope.

Also for the people who dont like "reps" or "fakes" at least im not buying some cheap completely unkown brand cast wheel for $100 a pop. These are at least made stronger and to a higher standard. I have actually heard that flow forged wheels are about 70% as good as full forged wheels but for a fraction of the cost
Old 04-03-16, 05:56 AM
guitarguru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So why not VMR

So why not VMR? I'm a long time BMW owner and first time Lexus owner with a 2015 IS 350C and was looking at Stance as well as Vossen.
I've had many sets of VMRs on my Bimmers...135i...335i vert