IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ISx50 RR-Racing Air/Oil Separator DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 11:30 AM
chriso5573
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ISx50 RR-Racing Air/Oil Separator DIY

Hello fellow Club Lexus members. I just wanted to create a DIY thread to show how the RR-Racing Air/Oil Separator that was designed for the ISF can also fit on the 2IS. Product available through following link: http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Air-O...isfaos0001.htm

I have just over 100,000 miles now on my IS250 and drive the car HARD on my one hour drive to and from work. I was worried about developing the carbon buildup issues common to IS250 owners. After changing my spark plugs a few weeks ago and seeing how dirty the inside of the intake and the top of the engine was, I started looking for solutions. I cleaned as much as I could using carb cleaner on everything in there and got it spotless after quite a while of scrubbing with a toothbrush.

The quality of this product is mind-blowing. Rafi and Simon are amazing and were able to provide me a little extra blue tubing to run the length of the engine to make it work. I love how it compliments the F-Sport intake.

So to make this work you need to drill two holes into you front right area of your engine cover. Naturally, use the bracket as a guide and the bottom left hole in the bracket should rest on the corner lip of the engine cover.

Then you merely need shorter (30mm long) screws that are about half the length of the ones provided along with two nuts and wide washers to hold it tight on the other side of the engine cover. There is a little foam so the upper screw that goes through the engine cover will need to have a little bit of that foam cut out.

The pictures should explain the rest as far as locations of everything and where to connect the hoses. It helps to unscrew the two bolts holding the fuel line in place to the intake manifold right above the pct valve. I also disconnected the brake booster line to have more room to work. Hope this helps some of you out.

As far as how it has impacted my car, I haven't noticed much difference in the two days I have had it on (then again I haven't really tried to) but I am sure as well as this product is made, it will sure help keep the engine a little cleaner.

I will be driving from the bay area across the country to Georgia next week so after my road trip I'll post an update as to any differences etc I notice.

Feel free to post your thoughts or comments on the setup and happy modding!! =D
Attached Thumbnails ISx50 RR-Racing Air/Oil Separator DIY-img_5439.jpg   ISx50 RR-Racing Air/Oil Separator DIY-img_5442.jpg  

Last edited by chriso5573; 03-27-16 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-28-16, 01:04 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Cool little project, I've been thinking of asking if RR would make one for the X50, but you are way beyond asking!
Old 03-28-16, 02:11 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Cool little project, I've been thinking of asking if RR would make one for the X50, but you are way beyond asking!

I was surprised how plug and play it was with the 2IS after drilling into the engine cover. Just ask for extra tubing and you should be set! Good luck!
Old 04-06-16, 05:25 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Default Results from drive

Hello all,
Finally able to update this post. So I noticed I have accumulated little bit in my drive from the bay area, California to Fort Gordon, GA. I notice the car didn't really drive different at first but it certainly feels different now. It accelerates differently. It's a slightly different feel and the sound is much smoother at idle. I have been using fuel with no ethanol almost exclusively once I discovered there were a few gas stations out here that sell pure gas. So that may just be from my switch in fuel or a combination but I really do like the change. Here is a picture of how much I accumulated in just over 2,000 miles.

One thing I have noticed is that the orange ball that is supposed to float as the indicator doesn't float, at least not on my AOS. I hope this is not indicative of some problem.
Attached Thumbnails ISx50 RR-Racing Air/Oil Separator DIY-screen-shot-2016-04-06-at-8.19.31-pm.png  
Old 04-07-16, 10:50 PM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$180!!!

Man, you guys got too much money.
Old 04-07-16, 11:36 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good write up thank for updated. I should get one for my IS350
Old 04-08-16, 06:34 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's also an older DYI here, with alot of pics and additional info on installing oil catch cans.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xperiment.html
The following users liked this post:
zaitcev (08-01-20)
Old 04-21-16, 03:16 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Tomiv9, thanks for posting that DIY link. Token Solution's catch can is $124 and available here on there website http://www.tokensolutions.net/lexus-...-on-catch-can/ and although cheaper than the one made by RR-Racing, it seems to me like it filters out less oil. The DIY link you posted has a great review and the guy that installed the Token Solutions catch can showed a picture of how much was in his catch can after 14,xxx miles. I drove a mere 2,500 miles (from northern california to Augusta, Georgia) and had about as much accumulated in my RR-Racing air/oil separator. Perhaps I drove a lot more aggressively or what have you but that is quite a significant difference in what is actually being filtered out. All in all when I was deciding on what catch can to buy I looked at the aforementioned DIY and loved how the Token Solutions' catch can was designed for the 2IS but didn't like how it was not maintenance friendly. I love how the RR-Racing has a window to view how full it is without having to touch anything and is SOOO easy to drain with those new screws that you can unscrew with your fingers. Just my .02 and hope it helps any of you guys who may be undecided.
Old 04-21-16, 03:25 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Originally Posted by skullkandy
$180!!!

Man, you guys got too much money.
$180 is nothing compared to the money I'd have to spend on an engine cleaning later on down the road. I'm hoping this $180 goes a long way in preventing future carbon buildup. When I changed my spark plugs I was amazed at how much gunk there was inside the intake manifold and on the top of the engine and spent a few hours cleaning everything I could reach with carb cleaner. Clearly that PCV valve was spitting that gunk back into the intake manifold. Just look at these pics of the nastiness when my car had 95,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails ISx50 RR-Racing Air/Oil Separator DIY-img_0026.jpg   ISx50 RR-Racing Air/Oil Separator DIY-img_0030.jpg   ISx50 RR-Racing Air/Oil Separator DIY-img_0032.jpg  
Old 04-22-16, 07:01 AM
RustySpoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be changing the spark plugs soon on my IS. If there is a lot of gunk in the intake I will definitely be getting this.

About how much extra tubing is needed to get this hooked up right on the IS250?
Old 04-22-16, 10:25 AM
chriso5573
Driver

Let the folks over at RR-Racing know that you are going to install on an IS250 and they will send you an adequate amount of tubing. Simon and Rafi should be more than helpful. The tubing needs to be long enough to run the length of the engine, from the PCV valve, to the front and have an extra 5 inches or so to account for bends etc. the tube that is labeled "A" will need to be longer than the one labeled "B" in the images.
Old 03-19-18, 01:32 PM
Jeeves250
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

RR-Racing are marketing this thing as an Air-Oil Separator, but it's really just a catch can; does anyone make a true AOS for a Lexus? I'd like to avoid having to empty a can and constantly check my oil level, if at all possible.
Old 03-19-18, 06:48 PM
Jeeves250
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just wrote to RR-Racing to ask about the ISF kit - the dude who wrote back said to hang on, and that they are going to release a kit with a bracket and some other stuff specifically meant for IS 250/350s in ~2 weeks!
The following users liked this post:
Riby (03-21-18)
Old 03-21-18, 06:52 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

250 folks, how much oil is lost/burned in 4000mi and how is the vehicle used? i.e. all highway use, city, mix 30%H/70%C?
Old 03-22-18, 09:52 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeves250
RR-Racing are marketing this thing as an Air-Oil Separator, but it's really just a catch can; does anyone make a true AOS for a Lexus? I'd like to avoid having to empty a can and constantly check my oil level, if at all possible.
I think you'll have to do something yourself, and be prepared to open your wallet. Radium Engineering makes a great universal AOS, IMO, but you'll be in the project $400 or more before you have it plumbed and working.

Quick Reply: ISx50 RR-Racing Air/Oil Separator DIY