Wheel Spacer and Extended Studs Questions | 2006 Lexus IS250

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 03:22 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wheel Spacer and Extended Studs Questions | 2006 Lexus IS250

Hi everyone!

I have a 2006 Lexus IS250 and have recently ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for the car in the stock tire sizes (225/40ZR18 up front and 255/40ZR18 rear).

Given the stock tire sizes, I want both the front and rear wheels to be flush with the fenders. I've looked around the forum and it seems 15mm for the front and 20mm spacers for the rear will do the job. It also seems Ichiba and H&R are popular choices for spacers. I would like to replace the factory studs with extended studs instead of using studs provided by spacers; APR seems like a popular choice. Has anyone done this to their 2IS? Is there enough space behind both front and rear hubs to insert 15mm and 20mm longer studs?

Below is a picture of my car right after I picked it up a few months ago - needs lots of work I know haha. License plate frame and emblem plastidip has since been removed!

Not entirely sure if this is the correct section to post this - feel free to move it.

Last edited by Ling2IS; 03-19-16 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 05:22 AM
Kvs_350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think apr stud will work with ur oem set up. Apr stud r extremely long and with oem mag closed end lug nut it will be too long unless u trim the apr studs. And I don't think there's any open end mag style lug nut on the market. I don't like spacer I used it before and I always think my wheel will fly off any second haha. It's just me tho.
Old 03-20-16, 05:53 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Thought you'd like to see this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...2-spacers.html

Lou
Old 03-20-16, 11:21 AM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider
Thought you'd like to see this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...2-spacers.html

Lou
Thanks for the heads-up! I'm aware of that thread, which is why I would only go for Ichiba V1's with extended studs or H&R with extended studs.
Old 03-20-16, 01:48 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lingjinli
Thanks for the heads-up! I'm aware of that thread, which is why I would only go for Ichiba V1's with extended studs or H&R with extended studs.
im thinking about 15 and 20 mm spacers as well for a flush look, what is the "stud" part of the spacer? is that just another word for the lug nuts?
Old 03-20-16, 03:33 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Parsa
im thinking about 15 and 20 mm spacers as well for a flush look, what is the "stud" part of the spacer? is that just another word for the lug nuts?
It is very confusing indeed; I spent the entire yesterday doing research.

Studs are the five bolts sticking out from the hub. If you were to put spacers on top of the hub and through the original studs, you would have significanty less, if any, threads to bolt the lug nuts onto the studs, which is why you would want extended studs to replace the factory ones for a much safer application. Spacers with studs on them (like Ichiba V2's) bolt onto the factory studs, and then the wheel bolts onto the spacer's studs. I feel this makes for a much easier installation; however, it does not seem as safe, especially if installed improperly (over/under-torqued).
Old 03-20-16, 03:39 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

It is very confusing indeed; I spent the entire yesterday doing research.

Studs are the five bolts sticking out from the hub. If you were to put spacers on top of the hub and through the original studs, you would have significanty less, if any, threads to bolt the lug nuts onto the studs, which is why you would want extended studs to replace the factory ones for a much safer application. Spacers with studs on them (like Ichiba V2's) bolt onto the factory studs, and then the wheel bolts onto the spacer's studs. I feel this makes for a much easier installation; however, it does not seem as safe, especially if installed improperly (over/under-torqued).
ahh i see thank you. now i see why people have problems with spacers like the ichiba v2. that being said, what differentiates the v1 from the v2 which makes it "safer", if it does not have its own studs on them whats the application like
Old 03-20-16, 04:07 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

ahh i see thank you. now i see why people have problems with spacers like the ichiba v2. that being said, what differentiates the v1 from the v2 which makes it "safer", if it does not have its own studs on them whats the application like
The V1 comes with extended studs to replace the factory studs.
The V2 comes with studs on the spacer itself, and you would be reusing factory studs.
Old 03-20-16, 04:08 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

The V1 comes with extended studs to replace the factory studs.
The V2 comes with studs on the spacer itself.
thanks g I appreciate all the info, saves me a lot of time
wish you luck with your spacers 👍🏻 lol
Old 03-20-16, 04:17 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

thanks g I appreciate all the info, saves me a lot of time
wish you luck with your spacers 👍🏻 lol
You're welcome! Let me know how it goes with your spacers, if you decide to go with them.
I may very well go with wider tires and a new set of wheels since spacers would run me $220 give or take.
Old 03-20-16, 04:23 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

You're welcome! Let me know how it goes with your spacers, if you decide to go with them.
I may very well go with wider tires and a new set of wheels since spacers would run me $220 give or take.
I've been entertaining new wheels when my tires need to be replaced but that would set me back a cool $1700 haha. yeah im pretty sure im gonna order spacers after i pay a couple tickets off and save up some money, the college life is a struggle
Old 03-20-16, 04:31 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

I've been entertaining new wheels when my tires need to be replaced but that would set me back a cool $1700 haha. yeah im pretty sure im gonna order spacers after i pay a couple tickets off and save up some money, the college life is a struggle
I've calculated the price difference with getting spacers for my stock wheels and getting wider tires; spending the money on spacers just wouldn't be smart considering my plans for new wheels in the not-too-distant future. It'd only cost me about $200 more for wider tires haha (without factoring in the new wheels - likely LC818's 19").

High school kid here haha.

Last edited by Ling2IS; 03-20-16 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 04:42 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

I've calculated the price difference with getting spacers for my stock wheels and getting wider tires along with new wheels; spending the money on spacers just wouldn't be smart considering my plans for new wheels in the not-too-distant future. It'd only cost me about $200 more for wider tires haha (without factoring in the new wheels - likely LC818's 19").

High school kid here haha.
really? i would imagine it to be more than that. i thought 2 sets of spacers would be about 250 but 4 new tires would cost you closer to 800
Old 03-20-16, 06:36 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

really? i would imagine it to be more than that. i thought 2 sets of spacers would be about 250 but 4 new tires would cost you closer to 800
I already bought Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in the stock wheel sizes lol.
Let's say they were 186 for each front tire, and Ichiba V1's 15mm would be 52 for each front wheel. 228 for each rear tire and 57 for each rear spacer. The total for this wheel and spacer combo is 1046.
If I were to get wider tires, the total cost would be around 1200, which isn't too far off from 1046. Then obviously I would need to buy new wheels, but that's an obvious additional cost.
Old 03-20-16, 09:23 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

I already bought Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in the stock wheel sizes lol.
Let's say they were 186 for each front tire, and Ichiba V1's 15mm would be 52 for each front wheel. 228 for each rear tire and 57 for each rear spacer. The total for this wheel and spacer combo is 1046.
If I were to get wider tires, the total cost would be around 1200, which isn't too far off from 1046. Then obviously I would need to buy new wheels, but that's an obvious additional cost.
i didnt know you already bought ss in stock sizes. you ****ed up lol

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer and Extended Studs Questions | 2006 Lexus IS250