IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car suddenly wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 07:07 PM
Mason123
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car suddenly wont start

Go to start the car this morning and it just doesnt start no clicking nothing try it again and it starts but dies right after. So i tried to jump it to no avail. The check vsc light came on which is new and the traction control is off and the power steering light is on as well. So i googled the problem and tried taking the gas cap off changed the battery starter relay and i tried tapping on the starter as well and even borrowed a gynsis scanner from my job to see if I could figure the problem out nothing work untill one of the time i tried to start it the check engine light came on and it started again for about 3 seconds and died again. The CEL isnt on except for the one time the car started and there are no codes to be found.
Old 03-05-16, 09:03 PM
markjustus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mason123
Go to start the car this morning and it just doesnt start no clicking nothing try it again and it starts but dies right after. So i tried to jump it to no avail. The check vsc light came on which is new and the traction control is off and the power steering light is on as well. So i googled the problem and tried taking the gas cap off changed the battery starter relay and i tried tapping on the starter as well and even borrowed a gynsis scanner from my job to see if I could figure the problem out nothing work untill one of the time i tried to start it the check engine light came on and it started again for about 3 seconds and died again. The CEL isnt on except for the one time the car started and there are no codes to be found.
It's your alternator.
Do you recall the brake pedal really stiff when you start it first time of the day?
Source: EXACT same thing happened to me.
Old 03-06-16, 12:26 AM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

is there corrosion on the battery terminals
Old 03-06-16, 06:23 AM
Mason123
Rookie

Why would the alternator stop the car from even trying to crank when i press the start button to start the car it doesnt even try and start theres also no noise no clicking anything i press the start button and the car just sits there and i never really press the brake when starting the car. No corrosion on the terminals

Last edited by Mason123; 03-06-16 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-06-16, 08:02 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why would the alternator stop the car from even trying to crank when i press the start button to start the car it doesnt even try and start theres also no noise no clicking anything i press the start button and the car just sits there and i never really press the brake when starting the car. No corrosion on the terminals
Do your electronics still work? Check and make sure that your battery is properly connected at the terminals. My car has a problem with making contact with the battery so every now and then I have to re adjust the terminals to make sure that they make full contact with the battery.

Also what do you mean you don't press the brake to start the car??? That's how you are supposed to start the car lol. The car even says to depress the brake pedal and then hit the start button.

Also when the alternator goes out it prevents your car from starting also. So you should at least have that checked out.
Old 03-06-16, 09:59 AM
Parsa
Lead Lap

if you can start it with a jump or something, get it to oreillys and they hook up a tool to ur battery to test the battery and alternator. its free..
Old 03-06-16, 12:52 PM
Mason123
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tro209
Do your electronics still work? Check and make sure that your battery is properly connected at the terminals. My car has a problem with making contact with the battery so every now and then I have to re adjust the terminals to make sure that they make full contact with the battery.

Also what do you mean you don't press the brake to start the car??? That's how you are supposed to start the car lol. The car even says to depress the brake pedal and then hit the start button.

Also when the alternator goes out it prevents your car from starting also. So you should at least have that checked out.
My car is manual so I press the clutch to start the car and everything comes on and I work for an auto parts store I hooked up a brand new battery and cleaned the terminals so even if the alternator was bad the car should still start unless the car can tell the alternator isn't working and won't let it start with a bad alternator. And. I can't get the car to stay on for more then 3 secs when it does decide to start. I pulled the fuel pump assembly out and have an oem pump on the way going to change it out tomorrow bUT I hooked up some leads and gave the pump power and it sounded strong idk what else to try
Old 03-06-16, 01:01 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

My car is manual so I press the clutch to start the car and everything comes on and I work for an auto parts store I hooked up a brand new battery and cleaned the terminals so even if the alternator was bad the car should still start unless the car can tell the alternator isn't working and won't let it start with a bad alternator. And. I can't get the car to stay on for more then 3 secs when it does decide to start. I pulled the fuel pump assembly out and have an oem pump on the way going to change it out tomorrow bUT I hooked up some leads and gave the pump power and it sounded strong idk what else to try
my car also had trouble starting so i took it to oreillys and they said battery and alternator checked out i just need to clean terminals. i just cleaned them and now the car is still having a tough time to start (even tho it does). did ur car have a stage where it had a rough start and now this, or did it just not start at all one day?
Old 03-06-16, 02:43 PM
Mason123
Rookie

Originally Posted by Parsa
my car also had trouble starting so i took it to oreillys and they said battery and alternator checked out i just need to clean terminals. i just cleaned them and now the car is still having a tough time to start (even tho it does). did ur car have a stage where it had a rough start and now this, or did it just not start at all one day?
My car just stopped starting 2 days ago never had a problem starting before this and when It decides to start and die it starts right up no problem
Old 03-07-16, 06:57 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Alternator..same thing happened to me.

Last edited by istarzan; 03-07-16 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 07:59 AM
Mason123
Rookie

Originally Posted by istarzan
Alternator..same time happened to me.
I've been working on older cars for a while this is my first car newer than 2000 tbh but I've never heard of a car not cranking because of a bad alternator the car has a brand new battery even ifor the alternator was bad the car should at least crank when I press the start button It does nothing but if the car sits for 5+ hours it will start and die right away I've replaced the fuel pump on it today and still the same problem I don't understand how an alternator will stop it from cranking
Old 03-07-16, 08:01 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been working on older cars for a while this is my first car newer than 2000 tbh but I've never heard of a car not cranking because of a bad alternator the car has a brand new battery even ifor the alternator was bad the car should at least crank when I press the start button It does nothing but if the car sits for 5+ hours it will start and die right away I've replaced the fuel pump on it today and still the same problem I don't understand how an alternator will stop it from cranking
My 03 330i didn't wanna crank when my alternator was bad believe it or not. I asked my brother about it at the time and I told him that a mechanic said it could be a crank sensor or some expensive thing like that but nope, my brother was right. It was the alternator lol.

Also keep in mind that my BMW was also crank by key and not a push button like the Lexus. Just give it a shot. If that doesn't work then come back and let us know then we can further assist you
Old 03-07-16, 08:07 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well when my alternator died, I wasn't sure what it was. If you start losing NAV, radio, and power steering, it's probably the alternator.

My VSC and check engine light came on when it was dying. Took it to autozone to read codes, 2 engine sensors weren't getting enough voltage. After that, the car started sluggishly, then my electronics went out, and finally the PS while I was driving. Once I parked it, wouldn't turn over anymore, just click. When AAA came to tow it, I asked him to jump the battery and my car started fine. But I wasn't about to risk driving on the highway and lose power steering. Towed to dealer and confirmed it was alternator.

Maybe our cars' computer is telling it to not start to prevent damage to other systems? I'm not saying it's the alternator, but sounds like it to me. Also your car is manual. Just might want to check the alternator.
Old 03-07-16, 10:24 AM
markjustus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you at least checked it out? just trying to help prevent you from spending money and buying parts that dont need replacing. Seems that myself and other members experienced similar problems when our alternators started going out.
Old 03-08-16, 04:58 PM
Mason123
Rookie

Well took it to the dealer today and one of the service techs was kind enough to look at the car really quick and try something for no charge it was the fuel pressure sensor shorting out the ecu unfortunatly lexus stopped selling the sensor by itself and now only come with the whole fuel rail for $800 when i goto work tomorrow im going to try and source the senor by itself

Quick Reply: Car suddenly wont start