IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is this noise??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 09:32 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You need to go ahead and get your jack out, remove the wheel on the side where the noise is coming from, and tighten EVERYTHING on it there.

When you had the caliper painted, did you remove it from the car? Just looking for something that may have been "messed" with that may be causing the issue.
Old 02-28-16, 03:32 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
You need to go ahead and get your jack out, remove the wheel on the side where the noise is coming from, and tighten EVERYTHING on it there.

When you had the caliper painted, did you remove it from the car? Just looking for something that may have been "messed" with that may be causing the issue.
I had a mechanic friend of mine check it out today and we put the car on the jack and checked everything out. I couldn't re create the sound for him though so it was hard to pin point it. However he did lift it up and have a look and said that maybe it could be the spring from the Coilovers I had installed not too long ago. So he had tried to see if he could feel for anything and surely enough the driver side spring was a little loose and so he tightened it. Also the little plastic piece behind the wheel that he says is connected to the speed sensor (idk if that true or not) was also loose and he tightened that as well. I've yet to drive it again but he did say that everything checks out and that I should be fine to drive the car. He said the bushings looked fine, control arms, sway bar links and everything looks solid. We also drove the car to before hand and did some braking tests to make sure that they were fine and they seemed okay as well.

Whatever was causing the sound I have no idea what it was or what it could be. I'm hoping it was just the things we tightened up and not some costly part because I am really trying to save up for my wheels at the moment.

Oh and I don't know if they removed the calipers when the shop painted them to be honest. But I don't think they did. Also I had that done about 2-3 months ago and this just barely started happening. I asked my friend if it could be the wheel bearings but he said that if it was the bearing the noise wouldn't keep disappearing like it does. As a matter of fact I didn't even hear the noise at all yesterday until afte I got off work for a brief period... It's weird
Old 02-28-16, 03:34 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Soledad
Can you get a video of it when it's happening and put it up on youtube for us?
I would try to recreate the sound with the help of a friend.
I tried to get a video but haven't had the right oppurtunity to do so. The sound comes and goes but I'm hoping we fixed it by tightened some slight loose things. If it happens again I'll try and get it on video. But the best way to describe it is as brake when they start to go bad and you can start hearing sequel just by moving slowly. But it doesn't seem to be the brakes?
Old 02-28-16, 04:01 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Still making that damn noise What could it be??? UGHHHHHHH
Old 02-28-16, 06:10 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Still making that damn noise What could it be??? UGHHHHHHH
Did you check to make sure the dust shield is rubbing against the rotor?
Old 02-28-16, 06:25 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Did you check to make sure the dust shield is rubbing against the rotor?
What's the dust shield?
Old 02-28-16, 06:36 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

I finally got it on video!!!!! What is this sound?
Old 02-28-16, 06:58 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

What's the dust shield?
It the sheet metal part directly behind the brake disc. It extendeds past the circumference of the rotor, and you can touch the edge of it without removing the wheel.

I finally got it on video!!!!! What is this sound?
I don't know, but after hearing it I don't think it's the dust shield. The dust shield makes more of a scraping type of noise.
Old 02-28-16, 07:04 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
It the sheet metal part directly behind the brake disc. It extendeds past the circumference of the rotor, and you can touch the edge of it without removing the wheel.

I don't know, but after hearing it I don't think it's the dust shield. The dust shield makes more of a scraping type of noise.
It's weird right? Sounds like something is loose. But what's really weird is that this sounds can go away completely and then just start up again. The car drives normal too so it's kinda hard to pin point what this is. I just hope i can get this resolved this week, I really wanna head out to Cars and Coffe SF this Saturday with my buddy. We are doing a rally from Modesto to Treasuer Island and I really don't wanna miss out on this.
Old 02-29-16, 08:22 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Got it again this morning. You can see that the noise stops when I hit the brake hard. I'm beginning to this it may be something with the brakes after all. Either that, or something expensive like my Coilovers God forbid..
Old 02-29-16, 08:29 AM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmmm.....sounds brake, wheel bearing or suspension related. heh, I guess that's about everything up there.

Try this, when you hear the noise very lightly apply your brakes while still driving and see if the noise still occurs. If the noise goes away then I'd guess it's brake related. But if the noise is still there then probably not brakes and more likely wheel bearing or most likely suspension.

You know, the more I listen to that first video, the more it sounds like the squeaks happen in time with the bumps in the road. That's suspension, steering and maybe subframe.
Old 02-29-16, 08:30 AM
Soledad
Driver

Ok just saw that second video. When you hear that noise again drive with the brakes lightly applied and see if it goes away.
Old 02-29-16, 08:31 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Hmmmm.....sounds brake, wheel bearing or suspension related. heh, I guess that's about everything up there.

Try this, when you hear the noise very lightly apply your brakes while still driving and see if the noise still occurs. If the noise goes away then I'd guess it's brake related. But if the noise is still there then probably not brakes and more likely wheel bearing or most likely suspension.

You know, the more I listen to it, the more it sounds like the squeaks happen in time with the bumps in the road. That's suspension, steering and maybe subframe.
In the new daytime video I posted. The sound stops when I hit the brake... So that's why I figured it may be brake related. I had a buddy mechanic check out the bushings and everything and he said it all looked solid.. Except for the spring on my front driver side Coilovers which he tightened. And the little speed sensor thing behind the wheel which he also tightened.
Old 02-29-16, 08:33 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Ok just saw that second video. When you hear that noise again drive with the brakes lightly applied and see if it goes away.
Yeah I tried that too this morning and it seems to go away. But when I'm just slowly cruising (5-15mph) in a parking lot or neighborhood the sound comes back. This is with my foot off the brake pedal completely.
Old 02-29-16, 08:43 AM
Soledad
Driver

Driving with the brakes lightly applied does put a little tension on the pads, calipers, LCA's, balljoints and coilovers and so it could still be one of them. But, the first thing that comes to mind though is glazed pads/rotors IF the squeaking definitely goes away with the brakes lightly applied while driving.

Performing a brake pads bedding procedure may help with that and get rid of the glaze. Or go get some garnet paper (don't use regular sand paper) and sand the front and back side of the rotors and then bed the pads. But re-bedding the brakes is free and easy to do.

Or it could be that the brake calipers/pads need a little anti-squeal lube on them.

Last edited by Soledad; 02-29-16 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: What is this noise??