IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone drive with ECT PWR in S Mode, set to 6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 07:05 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone drive with ECT PWR in S Mode, set to 6?

Lately i've been driving alot with ECT PWR button on, in S Mode, with gear set to 6. I find it's the best of both worlds. The ECT PWR gives a better throttle response, but it changes shifting, causing hard downshifts and sometimes holds gears longer then I like. By putting in S Mode with gear set to 6, it seams the auto transmission shifts normally through all the gears, but I still get a better throttle response from ECT PWR. Anyone else drive like this? Are there any potential long term problems from driving like this?

Last edited by tomiv9; 02-11-16 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-11-16, 07:39 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PWR button is like day and night... I love it, just don't love the fuel consumption increasing by a few mpg lol!

As you may know, it's more a rev limiter than an actual shifter... Shift response is lowwwwwwww. I don't see why this would cause a long term issue, the engine/transmission were built for these modes. If you are going too slow for the 6th gear, it will downshift automatically and adjust itself. It's not an actual ''fully manual mode'' where the transmission stays at the gear selected so I don't see any issues doing this.

Last edited by Eduskator; 02-11-16 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-11-16, 09:20 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Right I put the gear limiter to 6 when I start the car, and then do not touch it. The auto Trans still shifts from 1 to 6, automatically. But it's smoother then in regular mode with ect pwr on.
Originally Posted by Eduskator
PWR button is like day and night... I love it, just don't love the fuel consumption increasing by a few mpg lol!

As you may know, it's more a rev limiter than an actual shifter... Shift response is lowwwwwwww. I don't see why this would cause a long term issue, the engine/transmission were built for these modes. If you are going too slow for the 6th gear, it will downshift automatically and adjust itself. It's not an actual ''fully manual mode'' where the transmission stays at the gear selected so I don't see any issues doing this.
Old 02-11-16, 10:21 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm.. I'm gonna have to try this right now. I like the responsiveness of POWER mode but don't like the roughness of the shifting. I think this should be of good use then.
Old 02-11-16, 01:11 PM
DVS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the ECT mode the same as the 2014 and up IS that has the sport mode option
Old 02-12-16, 02:13 PM
Danais350
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else do this or try this? Thoughts?
Old 02-12-16, 02:38 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Danais350
Anyone else do this or try this? Thoughts?
Just tried it right now for you lol. I gotta say I really like how it drives

It gives you the responsiveness of PWR mode but it shifts like normal mode (as long as you have it to 6 of course). This actually rids the car of downshifting unnecessarily while braking and in my opinion really helps the car feel more powerful due to the illusion of the more responsive gas peddle. Basically it makes the car more enjoyable in that it requires less effort to go fast and rids the car from all the downshifting that happens in PWR mode while in "D". Essentially giving your car a stock driving behavior but with more response to your input.

I like it . I think I will drive like this from now on honestly and I Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.

Last edited by Tro209; 02-12-16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 10:11 PM
Danais350
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tro209
Just tried it right now for you lol. I gotta say I really like how it drives

It gives you the responsiveness of PWR mode but it shifts like normal mode (as long as you have it to 6 of course). This actually rids the car of downshifting unnecessarily while braking and in my opinion really helps the car feel more powerful due to the illusion of the more responsive gas peddle. Basically it makes the car more enjoyable in that it requires less effort to go fast and rids the car from all the downshifting that happens in PWR mode while in "D". Essentially giving your car a stock driving behavior but with more response to your input.

I like it . I think I will drive like this from now on honestly and I Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.
Good to know.
Old 02-13-16, 01:44 PM
23rharris
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will definitely try this out, anyone see a major hit in the MPG?
Old 02-13-16, 03:26 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 23rharris
Will definitely try this out, anyone see a major hit in the MPG?
I'd rather not answer this lol. Not but seriously though, yeah your MPG will drop a bit since your more likely to be revving the engine higher in every gear. But hey if you want better mpg just turn of PWR mode lol
Old 02-17-16, 12:46 PM
jv6792
Rookie

I tried this and the car certainly does feel more responsive. I feel that the gas pedal gets a bit firmer and is more sensitive and thus feeling more responsive. Not sure if it affects mpg though. Highly doubt it
Old 02-17-16, 01:09 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jv6792
I tried this and the car certainly does feel more responsive. I feel that the gas pedal gets a bit firmer and is more sensitive and thus feeling more responsive. Not sure if it affects mpg though. Highly doubt it
It does affect gas mileage , in that your more likely to be speeding more or accelerating more than you would in normal mode. So really if you put it in PWR mode and set it to 6, BUT drive it slowly like you normally would , then yeah nothing's changed lol
Old 02-17-16, 01:23 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

To explain this in a nutshell,

PWR mode holds the gear as long as possible within its speed range.

So for example if 1st is 0~32, 2nd is 32-65, 3rd is 60-90, as long as you are within that speed limit it will hold the gear. Which is why you will feel the throttle being more responsive. Picture a manual car. If you leave the gear in 3rd or 4th within the relative speed frame, it will pull better than if you were to shift up to 5 and accelerate. The auto tranny imitates this a little bit. it always shifts to the best MPG gear,

PWR mode kills your MPG for all that's wondering.
Old 02-17-16, 01:28 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Icy350
To explain this in a nutshell,

PWR mode holds the gear as long as possible within its speed range.

So for example if 1st is 0~32, 2nd is 32-65, 3rd is 60-90, as long as you are within that speed limit it will hold the gear. Which is why you will feel the throttle being more responsive. Picture a manual car. If you leave the gear in 3rd or 4th within the relative speed frame, it will pull better than if you were to shift up to 5 and accelerate. The auto tranny imitates this a little bit. it always shifts to the best MPG gear,

PWR mode kills your MPG for all that's wondering.
Well the pedal actually requires less effort to do anything actually , lets 15% throttle got me up to 2k rpm on normal mode in 2nd gear, it would only take 10% throttle to shoot me to 2k rpm in the same gear. But yes I agree it holds the gear longer which is why it seems more powerful than it actually is. But the pedal really does require less travel in this mode. Because of the fact the transmission is gonna hunt for the best gear to be in for power instead of economy. Wait... Idk if I just restated what you said lol.
Old 02-17-16, 01:46 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tro209
Well the pedal actually requires less effort to do anything actually , lets 15% throttle got me up to 2k rpm on normal mode in 2nd gear, it would only take 10% throttle to shoot me to 2k rpm in the same gear. But yes I agree it holds the gear longer which is why it seems more powerful than it actually is. But the pedal really does require less travel in this mode. Because of the fact the transmission is gonna hunt for the best gear to be in for power instead of economy. Wait... Idk if I just restated what you said lol.
It will definitely feel faster however I believe there was a post where they measured 0~60 between normal and S mode, and Normal mode won.

Quick Reply: Anyone drive with ECT PWR in S Mode, set to 6?