Successfully added a USED key fob to my 07 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 12:42 AM
Toyboy250
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Successfully added a USED key fob to my 07 IS250

Hi Everyone,

I know there are a few threads relating to the above discussion, but i would just like to post my experience, naturally i approached Lexus directly and they told me flat out that it could not be done, went to another Lexus dealer and they said yeah they would give it a shot, but if they couldn't do it they would still charge me for the labour, i then searched elsewhere over the period of a year to find someone that could do it, came across a guy that lived a couple of thousand km's away that said he can do it, unfortunately i was not going to drive halfway across the country to get to him.I struggled to find any businesses that was willing to do the job, one company wanted to strip my car and remove the vehicle immobilizer ecu's and do a hard reset they said yeah they've done it before but not on my model.

Nevertheless onto the more happy stuff...

What I used:
Laptop running Win 10 64bit with TechStream installed
Mini VCI cable like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-MINI-...-/251858586792
Bought a Used key fob from a scrap yard, ensured that the digit on the circuit board match my current key.(replaced the battery)
Purchased tokens from this website to calculate the passcode: http://www.weboctopus.nl/lexus-scion...calculator.php

Steps as follows:
Connected the cable to the vehicle
Used the smart key reset feature as all other methods via Techstream does not work when adding a used key.
Pretty much the exact steps in this video:
The only difference in the video is that they have a patch that bypasses the passcode, however just use the website provided above and insert the passcode & vin number to get the passcode.
Perform the reset, it takes roughly 16 minutes to complete (I kept the car idling during the process, just to keep the battery voltage up)
Then use the classic add key method from Techsteam and select the option "I am registering keys and have replaced the ID Code Box and Smart ECU or have performed Smart Code Reset"
Follow the prompts and ensure to add the used key first when re-adding the keys. (also remember to keep the key fobs a fair distance (1,5m) outside the vehicle so that it does not get confused as to which key is being added.

Hope this helps someone, as I wish some would have given me these steps when i was searching!!!

**Disclaimer: This information is for educational purposes only and I will not be held responsible should you choose to perform these steps on your vehicle**

Nearly forgot, I've got a few tokens left and should you want to give this a go and not want to purchase the minimum 5, I will sell them at $10 each.

Last edited by Toyboy250; 02-15-16 at 12:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bryan11 (08-17-23)
Old 01-29-16, 01:00 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate how the Toyota program charges tokens. I'm going to rewrite another software to get rid of that. Also yes that's awesome that you got a used keyfob to work, from my experience some are able to be reprogrammed some are not.
Old 01-29-16, 01:11 AM
Toyboy250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isfdude
I hate how the Toyota program charges tokens. I'm going to rewrite another software to get rid of that. Also yes that's awesome that you got a used keyfob to work, from my experience some are able to be reprogrammed some are not.
Yep, that part really put me off, before i purchased the tokens, i asked toyota themselves if they would give me the passcode at a price, and i'm sure you can guess what their answer was.
Please do man, the passcode was a real pain! it would be a breeze without the passcode requirement.
I've done a few cars now with this method and as long as i've matched the code on the key fob circuit board and the keys themselves aren't faulty, it always worked thus far.
Old 01-30-16, 02:06 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

My local locksmith could done it for $70
Old 01-31-16, 12:34 PM
Toyboy250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
My local locksmith could done it for $70
I would have happily paid that price, had I found someone that was able to actually do it.
In the end I spent $130, that's for the Used key, Cable & Tokens for the website, on the plus side I now have Techstream and the diagnostic cable to use at my disposal if any issues should arise.
Old 02-10-16, 11:09 AM
xhackr
Rookie

I had a similar journey as the OP… my costs were also about the same. The exceptions were I did not reach out to Lexus, and as I was not interested in someone else doing it, it took me much less time to achieve… I used Windows 7 64, and I performed this on an IS350 with the engine not running, but key on. I too have tokens left over, and will sell them for $10.00 each, after the OP sells his.

One point of mention is that you MUST NOT turn the car off or disconnect the Techsteam at any time between getting the 96 digit seed number Techstream provides you and you entering the 6 digit code to reset the immobilizer. There is/was another site that sells this 6 digit code, without having to purchase 5, but unlike the site the OP and I used, you may not get the code straight away. You would have to keep your car and Techsteam untouched until you get the code. If you shut the car off, you will generate a different 96 digit seed number and the code will not work.

Last edited by xhackr; 02-10-16 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-05-17, 08:51 AM
kelleher2
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyboy250
Hi Everyone,

I know there are a few threads relating to the above discussion, but i would just like to post my experience, naturally i approached Lexus directly and they told me flat out that it could not be done, went to another Lexus dealer and they said yeah they would give it a shot, but if they couldn't do it they would still charge me for the labour, i then searched elsewhere over the period of a year to find someone that could do it, came across a guy that lived a couple of thousand km's away that said he can do it, unfortunately i was not going to drive halfway across the country to get to him.I struggled to find any businesses that was willing to do the job, one company wanted to strip my car and remove the vehicle immobilizer ecu's and do a hard reset they said yeah they've done it before but not on my model.

Nevertheless onto the more happy stuff...

What I used:
Laptop running Win 10 64bit with TechStream installed
Mini VCI cable like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-MINI-...-/251858586792
Bought a Used key fob from a scrap yard, ensured that the digit on the circuit board match my current key.(replaced the battery)
Purchased tokens from this website to calculate the passcode: http://www.weboctopus.nl/lexus-scion...calculator.php

Steps as follows:
Connected the cable to the vehicle
Used the smart key reset feature as all other methods via Techstream does not work when adding a used key.
Pretty much the exact steps in this video: Techstream Immo Reset SmartKey Patch from Autokent - YouTube
The only difference in the video is that they have a patch that bypasses the passcode, however just use the website provided above and insert the passcode & vin number to get the passcode.
Perform the reset, it takes roughly 16 minutes to complete (I kept the car idling during the process, just to keep the battery voltage up)
Then use the classic add key method from Techsteam and select the option "I am registering keys and have replaced the ID Code Box and Smart ECU or have performed Smart Code Reset"
Follow the prompts and ensure to add the used key first when re-adding the keys. (also remember to keep the key fobs a fair distance (1,5m) outside the vehicle so that it does not get confused as to which key is being added.

Hope this helps someone, as I wish some would have given me these steps when i was searching!!!

**Disclaimer: This information is for educational purposes only and I will not be held responsible should you choose to perform these steps on your vehicle**

Nearly forgot, I've got a few tokens left and should you want to give this a go and not want to purchase the minimum 5, I will sell them at $10 each.
i have read a lot of posts about having to buy tokens, pin codes etc. I also found an instruction Youtube video of how to do this. I decided to not erase my master key and program my used smart key for my 2005 LS430. until i was sure what had to be done.
In the meantime my son decided he would try to do the job. He followed the steps erased the keys and re-programmed both with no seeds or pis required.. I thought Toyota and Techstream should work the same on all cars using this software. Any ideas?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...smart-key.html
Old 10-06-17, 01:02 AM
xhackr
Rookie

Originally Posted by kelleher2
Well done for sticking with it. I took me a week just to get Techstream to work. The vendor (from China) did a remote on my PC . It then worked.
So I bought a used key from a guy for $75. I then tried to use TS to add a key and it won't work. I then find your post. If I had bought a new key would I not have to go through this of buying tokens and passcodes?
Adding a new key fob will not require the tokens mentioned here; however, if you are adding a used key fob that was not originally assigned to your vehicle, you need to follow the instructions in this thread.
Old 10-09-17, 12:04 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Any shops that do this in the Dallas/ North Texas area?
Old 08-17-23, 07:04 PM
davus
Driver School Candidate

Im super bummed that this method doesnt work in Australia. The option for Smart Code Reset doesnt even exist in TechStream when you set the region to be pacific.

If you change the region to North America in TechStream, the option is then there, but when you try to run the reset, it simply just fails.

If anyone has a way of adding a USED key to an Australian delivered IS250, ill pay for the knowledge on how to do it.
Dealer wants nearly $500 for a genuine OEM key (which i could then use TechStream to code), but im a lot more stingy (and inquisitive) than that.
Old 02-16-24, 11:19 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

For others that stumble upon this thread, what I have learned about Toyotas fobs is that they can be reused but first one needs to unlock them. Most modern locksmiths will unlock a fob and pair it for $60 to $100 USD. The key ingredient is (as mentioned in this thread) verify the PCBA silk screen PN matches 100%.

Regardless, get the smart key unlocked and follow typical pairing techniques.

#2IS Smart key pairing
Old 02-17-24, 04:08 AM
Cienfueg69
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
For others that stumble upon this thread, what I have learned about Toyotas fobs is that they can be reused but first one needs to unlock them. Most modern locksmiths will unlock a fob and pair it for $60 to $100 USD. The key ingredient is (as mentioned in this thread) verify the PCBA silk screen PN matches 100%.

Regardless, get the smart key unlocked and follow typical pairing techniques.

#2IS Smart key pairing
you can virgin the key with the IPROG+.
2013FSport (02-29-24)
Old 02-18-24, 06:40 AM
imkIS350c
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was able to add a virgin key using Autel MaxiAP AP200 OBD2 Scanner (55$).
2013FSport (02-29-24)
Old 02-21-24, 02:03 AM
is3t
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imkIS350c
I was able to add a virgin key using Autel MaxiAP AP200 OBD2 Scanner (55$).
Were you using an aftermarket key, a oem one virgin, or a used programmed key already.
Any process details

thanks!
Old 02-21-24, 02:04 AM
imkIS350c
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by is3t
Were you using an aftermarket key, a oem one virgin, or a used programmed key already.
Any process details

thanks!
I used OEM virgin/unlocked key. I bought it on eBay for 90$.
2013FSport (02-21-24)

Quick Reply: Successfully added a USED key fob to my 07 IS250