IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting an extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 04:43 PM
Nabil250
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Getting an extended warranty

I have a 2010 is250 with 98k miles, The warranty is going to expire when I hit the 100k.
Do you guys think it is worth it to extend it considering how expensive it is ($3100 for 4 years/50k)?
Do those cars develop more problems after the 100k?
Old 01-28-16, 12:48 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabil250
I have a 2010 is250 with 98k miles, The warranty is going to expire when I hit the 100k.
Do you guys think it is worth it to extend it considering how expensive it is ($3100 for 4 years/50k)?
The only problem these cars develop is Carbon build up. Look it up if you don't know what that is. Other than that I don't really see the point in spending $3100 on an otherwise very reliable car.
Old 01-28-16, 01:17 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Also if yours has the AWD package then things that usually go wrong are, the Front differential leaks oil from the seal right against the oil pan, the passenger side axle boot is a weak spot, some touch screen problems happens with the navi models, carbon buildup problems as stated above. That's about all I see go wrong with these cars.
Old 01-28-16, 11:35 PM
Nabil250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tro209
The only problem these cars develop is Carbon build up. Look it up if you don't know what that is. Other than that I don't really see the point in spending $3100 on an otherwise very reliable car.
I have looked that up and what I will do is to take it to the dealership to check it out

Originally Posted by isfdude
Also if yours has the AWD package then things that usually go wrong are, the Front differential leaks oil from the seal right against the oil pan, the passenger side axle boot is a weak spot, some touch screen problems happens with the navi models, carbon buildup problems as stated above. That's about all I see go wrong with these cars.
I have the RWD. Do you think it would have the same problems?
Old 01-29-16, 12:19 AM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't have an issue but if you got carbon build up tsb done recently if it was me I would say dont get the extended warranty but really depends how long you get the car for? If you keep for another 5 years i would get it but if its just a few years i wouldn't. Is250 is really reliable you just need to make sure water pump is done, your belts are good, oil changes, and every morning when you do cold start up just listen to noises rattles or squeeks.
Old 01-29-16, 12:34 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

No the RWD is cars have hardly any problems. Make sure you do your normal maintenance. Oil changes, transmission pan taken down and new filter and Toyota world standard fluid pumped back in, flush radiator fluid.
Old 01-29-16, 12:55 AM
Nabil250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrKayP
You shouldn't have an issue but if you got carbon build up tsb done recently if it was me I would say dont get the extended warranty but really depends how long you get the car for? If you keep for another 5 years i would get it but if its just a few years i wouldn't. Is250 is really reliable you just need to make sure water pump is done, your belts are good, oil changes, and every morning when you do cold start up just listen to noises rattles or squeeks.
I haven't Done the tsb but I will. I'm not thinking of changing the car anytime soon cus I love this car so much. Thanks very much

Originally Posted by isfdude
No the RWD is cars have hardly any problems. Make sure you do your normal maintenance. Oil changes, transmission pan taken down and new filter and Toyota world standard fluid pumped back in, flush radiator fluid.
I do my normal maintenance at the dealer everytime. I also check it myself regularly every two days to make sure everything is running smoothly. Thanks buddy
Old 01-30-16, 08:12 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problems I ever hear about are Water pump, Nav screen touch fail, and rear calipers seizing.

Other than that I dont think youll be using warranty for anything else.
Old 01-30-16, 10:52 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

wait, you can extend your warranty beyond an already extended warranty? i'm confused as to how you can extend after you've hit 100k miles as you've ostensibly already purchased an extended warranty...unless you're referring to the extended drivetrain warranty that followed some models that were affected by the carbon buildup issue and even then i'm confused.
Old 01-31-16, 01:48 AM
Nabil250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Icy350
The only problems I ever hear about are Water pump, Nav screen touch fail, and rear calipers seizing.

Other than that I dont think youll be using warranty for anything else.
Yes i think I won't need it since most of the things are DIY and I don't mind working on my baby
Old 01-31-16, 01:56 AM
Nabil250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
wait, you can extend your warranty beyond an already extended warranty? i'm confused as to how you can extend after you've hit 100k miles as you've ostensibly already purchased an extended warranty...unless you're referring to the extended drivetrain warranty that followed some models that were affected by the carbon buildup issue and even then i'm confused.
When the previous owner purchased the car, instead of having the factory warranty for 50k miles /5 years he got it for 100k miles/7 years so technically the car is still under the factory warranty. When i went to the dealer he told me that I can extend the warranty before i hit the 100k miles, once i hit 100k miles I can't get the extended warranty anymore. I hope I answered your question
Old 01-31-16, 05:32 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

When the previous owner purchased the car, instead of having the factory warranty for 50k miles /5 years he got it for 100k miles/7 years so technically the car is still under the factory warranty. When i went to the dealer he told me that I can extend the warranty before i hit the 100k miles, once i hit 100k miles I can't get the extended warranty anymore. I hope I answered your question
and you can extend it with a lexus vehicle service contract and not a third-party warranty?

i'm amazed if the former is the case. oh, and thank you for explaining!
Old 01-31-16, 11:02 AM
Nabil250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
and you can extend it with a lexus vehicle service contract and not a third-party warranty?

i'm amazed if the former is the case. oh, and thank you for explaining!
Yes I can extend it with the Lexus vehicle sevice. Surprisingly, the third-party warranty is more expensive and I ask the dealer to explain it to me and he said that Because it's still under " New car warranty". Wierd right
Old 01-31-16, 11:53 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Yes I can extend it with the Lexus vehicle sevice. Surprisingly, the third-party warranty is more expensive and I ask the dealer to explain it to me and he said that Because it's still under " New car warranty". Wierd right
majorly weird but amazing that you can extend the warranty.

i suppose it all comes down to how long you wish to keep the car. carbon buildup issues are common as you already know, as are issues surrounding the navigation system and rear breaks.

i was one of the unlucky ones to have problems with the automatic transmission when i was a 2IS owner and i was very thankful that i had purchased that warranty. i had about 52k miles on the car when the transmission had some major issues and had to be rebuilt. the engine also had to be worked on more than once, although i'm not sure if that was covered under the csp or whether i would have had to front the cost after the initial engine rebuild.

anyhow, i was thankful for that extended warranty. that said, it cost about half of what you are being quoted.
Old 01-31-16, 11:57 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

oh, also, try lexus of san diego and ask to speak to or email the finance director justin kasper. he gave me the best rate in all of southern california on both my 2IS and my two 3IS'.

Quick Reply: Getting an extended warranty