IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

F Sport intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-16, 11:26 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F Sport intake questions

If I had not received this free I would not have done it that and the negative press about it here on the boards. Friend of mine sold his car and gave me his F intake. I had forgotten how easy this car is to work on. Took me 14 min to snap it all together.

So it looks nice but the performance gains I would doubt there would be any. The filter looks bigger looks like it flows more air but maybe not.

A few things they don't tell you one is the breather hose is too short. I cut it about 1 inch at the bottom where it connects with motor and used a good clamp on the intake side.

The air box has the extra hole in the front which looks like it sucks hot air. I thought of rigging something up to either block the engine heat or divert air from somewhere else there but we'll see.

Lastly, the screen in the top part of the air box. Has anyone removed that? It is a turbulence inhibitor? Filter is already occurring below. I was thinking of removing it.

Last edited by Alpinam3; 01-26-16 at 11:27 PM. Reason: left out ?
Old 01-27-16, 03:46 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpinam3
If I had not received this free I would not have done it that and the negative press about it here on the boards. Friend of mine sold his car and gave me his F intake. I had forgotten how easy this car is to work on. Took me 14 min to snap it all together.

So it looks nice but the performance gains I would doubt there would be any. The filter looks bigger looks like it flows more air but maybe not.
No noticeable gains

A few things they don't tell you one is the breather hose is too short. I cut it about 1 inch at the bottom where it connects with motor and used a good clamp on the intake side.
Never heard of this, Always heard it was simply plug and play no issues.

The air box has the extra hole in the front which looks like it sucks hot air. I thought of rigging something up to either block the engine heat or divert air from somewhere else there but we'll see.
The hole is what makes the noise for the intake compared to the stock intake

Lastly, the screen in the top part of the air box. Has anyone removed that? It is a turbulence inhibitor? Filter is already occurring below. I was thinking of removing it.
Dont know the answer but if it came with it i personally wouldn't remove it.
Old 01-28-16, 11:11 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You keep the screen on the top of the box. The higher flow air filter will allow finer particles to go through. There are tests that show a very marginal gain like 2-3 rwhp i.e. not noticeable.