Piston Ring Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-16, 07:30 AM
dbutz1109
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Ring Failure

Hi All,

New to Club Lexus and I am really hoping this site can be helpful to me. I bought a 2008 IS250 CPO about 2 1/2 years ago. Purchased with roughly 47,000, around the 57,000 mile mark, the engine required work for blown piston rings (quoted at $10,000 for the work.) Now, I am currently at 75,000 miles and the same issue has occurred. At this point, I am fed up with the car, which I believe anyone can understand. Regardless of the campaign covering the service, I simply don't feel very comfortable driving and paying for a car that continually has engine problems - not just minor maintenance. The fear here is also that a pattern is starting to develop where I worry that every 20,000 miles, I will need to have this service performed.

So, from the invoice when this all occurred the first time:

Vehicle failed misfire test and TSB was performed. Service/parts used...

1 Gasket kit, engine
1 Ring set, piston
3 piston sub assy
2 piston sub assy
1 piston sub assy
1 lof is250
1 replaceable element
1 gasket
And a bunch of ransoms - oil, oil pan, atwfs, non-chlor brake c, nuts, locks, etc

Are there any options that I have outside of just rolling over and continuing to deal with the issue?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by dbutz1109; 01-26-16 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-26-16, 07:37 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

do you know what caused the first piston ring failure? sounds like when they did the rebuild the rings weren't seated properly... did Lexus do the repair?? i'm assuming your CPO warranty expired?

rings should not be going that quickly unless there is something else contributing to it... do you normally have maintenance done at Lexus?
Old 01-26-16, 08:06 AM
dbutz1109
Driver School Candidate

There is a campaign for this issue (as I was told) by the dealer. I was told that the ring failure is an issue on the '06-'08 model IS due to the engineering of the engine where a thinner ring was used and they end up basically wearing down. Lexus did the repair and I am still under CPO until July of this year. I have all maintenance done at Lexus and have kept up on all the maintenance milestones (30k, 60k, etc). Only exception to this is that I take it to Toyota from time to time for the oil changes or brakes.
Old 01-26-16, 10:30 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I don't think you quite have the story straight. I believe the service campaign is to address damage caused by excessive carbon buildup in the top end of the engine. Carbon buildup is a somewhat common issue with many direct injection engines (not just Lexus), since the back of the valves aren't cleaned by detergents in the fuel mist. The IS350 doesn't have this problems since it has both direct and port injection.
Old 01-26-16, 10:45 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dbutz1109
Hi All,

New to Club Lexus and I am really hoping this site can be helpful to me. I bought a 2008 IS250 CPO about 2 1/2 years ago. Purchased with roughly 47,000, around the 57,000 mile mark, the engine required work for blown piston rings (quoted at $10,000 for the work.) Now, I am currently at 75,000 miles and the same issue has occurred. At this point, I am fed up with the car, which I believe anyone can understand. Regardless of the campaign covering the service, I simply don't feel very comfortable driving and paying for a car that continually has engine problems - not just minor maintenance. The fear here is also that a pattern is starting to develop where I worry that every 20,000 miles, I will need to have this service performed.

Are there any options that I have outside of just rolling over and continuing to deal with the issue?

Thanks everyone!
I've seen this coming to my dealer before the engine piston walls must be scraped by sand or some debris. Maybe at some time the original owner did not install a filter on his car or the old filter broke allowing dirt and sand to get into the piston walls and even replacing the rings is a temporary fix your next best bet is to just replace the engine with a used one for a mush less than half of that $10,000.

Could also be a low pressure oil pump and the Pistons aren't getting enough oil sprayed on the walls.
Old 01-26-16, 01:02 PM
20LS01
Driver

Are you burning excessive oil? Demand a new short block from lexus. Better yet, an entire engine since you are still covered under warranty.
Old 01-26-16, 01:54 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Get Lexus to cover the repair. Break-in the rebuilt motor. Sell it for an IS350.
Old 01-26-16, 05:23 PM
dbutz1109
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for replies. Keep 'em coming as I'm looking for any feedback. At this point, I've lost my faith in the car and Lexus. Considering that Lexus repaired this for a $10k job and then 20,000 later it happens again, I don't even want the car anymore. I'm curious if there is anything Lexus can do to help get me out of the car but I wouldn't even want another Lexus - just a bad taste in my mouth after this. My fear is that this seems to be a pattern and if it happens again once I'm out of warranty, I'm left holding the bill.

Thanks again to everyone - just very frustrated at this point.
Old 01-26-16, 06:38 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

There is a campaign for this issue (as I was told) by the dealer. I was told that the ring failure is an issue on the '06-'08 model IS due to the engineering of the engine where a thinner ring was used and they end up basically wearing down. Lexus did the repair and I am still under CPO until July of this year. I have all maintenance done at Lexus and have kept up on all the maintenance milestones (30k, 60k, etc). Only exception to this is that I take it to Toyota from time to time for the oil changes or brakes.
Are you sure it applies to all IS within those years ? Why dealership do you visit ? I'm burning excessive oil and after thorough check up of the internals viz a camera I was told my motor is fine but they will need to take it apart for further diagnoses and I will have to pay for it. Also, should they find a problem they will not put it back together. I Was amazed at such a response.

Do you happen to have the bulletin and if so could you post it ? Maybe one of the techs can clarify this issue.
Old 01-26-16, 07:02 PM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Pretty sure if your car is 2008 CPO your warranty is over, keeping your IS250 could be a burden but im surprised first time around when they fixed the carbon build up that they gave you new rings and pistons? if not then argue with corporate notifying your situation from the moment you purchased the car until now. As a lexus customer which u purchase from lexus you at least deserve work done instead of paying 10k.. which i think i would not and get a different car. .. sry to see your car go wrong..
Old 01-26-16, 07:23 PM
dbutz1109
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Offspring
Are you sure it applies to all IS within those years ? Why dealership do you visit ? I'm burning excessive oil and after thorough check up of the internals viz a camera I was told my motor is fine but they will need to take it apart for further diagnoses and I will have to pay for it. Also, should they find a problem they will not put it back together. I Was amazed at such a response.

Do you happen to have the bulletin and if so could you post it ? Maybe one of the techs can clarify this issue.
I was told '06-'08 via my dealer (Lexus of Lehigh Valley). I'm pretty sure it is a known issue as mine was covered under a campaign they established for this issue alone. I'll dig through my paperwork and see what I can find. To clarify, by bulletin you mean? I have several items from the repair that might shed more information on this.
Old 01-26-16, 07:26 PM
dbutz1109
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrKayP
Pretty sure if your car is 2008 CPO your warranty is over, keeping your IS250 could be a burden but im surprised first time around when they fixed the carbon build up that they gave you new rings and pistons? if not then argue with corporate notifying your situation from the moment you purchased the car until now. As a lexus customer which u purchase from lexus you at least deserve work done instead of paying 10k.. which i think i would not and get a different car. .. sry to see your car go wrong..
Bought it in July of '13 so the CPO is up this coming July. I believe Lexus will cover the fix again since there is both the campaign for it and the CPO on it, just waiting to hear now. However, even with the fix, I simply don't trust Lexus when they tell me this won't happen again. In my opinion, they should make this whole situation right but I doubt the dealer or Corp will do anything. Again, my biggest fear is that this seems to be a true issue and when it occurs again, I will be out of the CPO and be left holding the bill.
Old 01-26-16, 07:31 PM
dbutz1109
Driver School Candidate

So, from the invoice when this all occurred the first time:

Vehicle failed misfire test and TSB was performed. Service/parts used...

1 Gasket kit, engine
1 Ring set, piston
3 piston sub assy
2 piston sub assy
1 piston sub assy
1 lof is250
1 replaceable element
1 gasket
And a bunch of ransoms - oil, oil pan, atwfs, non-chlor brake c, nuts, locks, etc
Old 01-26-16, 07:37 PM
dbutz1109
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Get Lexus to cover the repair. Break-in the rebuilt motor. Sell it for an IS350.
They'll fix it - still under CPO and campaign. Just don't feel like holding the car and getting stuck with the bill when it occurs for a third time. Will likely trade it in after this repair and walk from Lexus.
Old 01-27-16, 12:02 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

They'll fix it - still under CPO and campaign. Just don't feel like holding the car and getting stuck with the bill when it occurs for a third time. Will likely trade it in after this repair and walk from Lexus.
Blow the engine completely. Then change the oil and bring it back to them. They will replace the engine.